Games lag after 20 minutes

JackLope

So recently I have been having problems playing any games on my computer. Whenever I boot the game it runs fine and smooth. Then about 20-30 minutes into the game it will all of a sudden start to lag and my frame rate will be horrible. I have tried playing many different games and they all act the same way. Even if I exit the game and then start it again it will still be laggy. I tried changing the Settings but the problem still exists. I typically will play Steam games like Half-Life or Counter-Strike but even when I play Minecraft of Starcraft II this will happen. I don't know what could have caused this but it needs to stop. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or even have had this happen to them. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jack

sounds like the GPU or the card's onboard memory could be overheating. this is a common problem and can usually be remedied by simply adjusting the fan speed. you can do this through the control panel or by downloading RivaTuner/Speedfan. if the model does not have a fan (i.e. passive solution) you could upgrade to an active cooling fan or swap thermal, or both. this means replacing the thermal conductivity compound that bonds the cooler with the GPU core.

As well as adjusting fan speed, it would be a good idea to clean out all the dust from your GPU's fan and heatsink.

Back