GameStop reports record losses for 2018

onetheycallEric

Staff
In context: GameStop's future prospects continue to look grim, as the once leading game retailer posts record losses of almost $700 million for 2018. In recent years, GameStop has admitted its core business is no longer viable and has tried to pivot into other areas. Despite the losses, GameStop remains upbeat about 2019.

GameStop has reported its full year fiscals for 2018, and the outlook seems bleak for the once preeminent brick and mortar game retailer. By now, it's no surprise the company has been struggling and seemingly hemorrhaging money, but 2018 saw GameStop post record losses approaching $700 million.

The published press release indicates GameStop had full year losses of $673 million, as GameStop's core gaming business continues to wane. New hardware, new software, and preowned all suffered significant declines in sales. GameStop's preowned business has been slowly eroding for some time now, and 2018 saw it plummet by 13.2 percent year-over-year.

It's worth noting that the numbers include GameStop's divestment of its Spring Mobile business, which brought $700 million into its coffers. Although, it seems to have done little to prop up the retailer's massive losses. Rob Lloyd, COO and CFO, offered a statement.

We are pleased to have delivered fiscal 2018 results within our adjusted guidance range, which included fourth quarter and full year sales growth across video game accessories, collectibles and digital. Excluding the impact of the 53rd week in fiscal 2017, new hardware sales for the year were in line with last year. As we think about 2019 and beyond, we recognize the challenges facing our pre-owned video game business and are prepared to address them as we continue to evolve our business model going forward. Importantly, we will continue to leverage our powerful brand to drive growth and, with a new cost savings and profit improvement initiative in place, we will focus our efforts on driving profitability. GameStop is a leader in the video game industry, and we remain committed to capitalizing on our leadership position to discover new and unique ways to meet our loyal customers’ entertainment needs and attract new customers.

GameStop acknowledges it needs a new business trajectory and looks to lean more into game adjacent areas, such as collectibles and betting big on Esports. Digital distribution has caused a significant problem for retailers such as GameStop, seeing the company shutter stores and open discussions of a buyout -- discussions which ultimately failed to attract a buyer. Sony's recent decision to pull download codes from retail shelves isn't going to help, either.

However, GameStop seems to be optimistic about the future, while also projecting 2019 sales to be down 5 to 10 percent.

Permalink to story.

Gamestop has become this decades video store. With so little to offer that can't be purchased and downloaded on line they would need a drastic make over and get into something that people simply are not willing to buy on line .... which appears to be very little. Initially I was thinking if they got into hardware but with a twist of having classes in the evenings to help people "build your own". Even little things like the Rasberry Pi could pack them in, but I have to admit that could be very limiting with costly overhead .... other idea's?

The future can't be bight for Gamestop...with consoles focusing more on cloud gaming and digital only consoles, the market for physical gaming sells will be a thing of the past within the next decade. The CEO has to quickly figure out a way to adjust or Gamestop will turn into another nostalgic memory.

The company wont' make it through the end of the year, at least not in its current form.

This is a transition year - unless a ton of stuff is announced at E3 for this year, there just won't be that many games coming out.

To say nothing of digital sales or the new attempts to turn gaming into a streaming platform...

I still can't understand how Gamestop still exists.

The sad thing is, because these parents are so stupid - giving kids stuff just because...they have nothing to hold over them for ensuring they perform in school.

My mom used to flat out tell me NO if I wanted anew TMNT figure back in the day and my father was the only one I could rely on to buy me new video games or systems for my birthday or Christmas.

I wouldn't even DREAM of asking them for a smartphone or anything more than $200 or $300 when I was a teenager.

Maybe if they didnt have a store on every block they'd save some cash, there are 4 within 10 minutes of my house.

I dont mind gamestop, they come in handy for finding those rare ps3/360 gems I missed and dirt cheap newer games, dont like how they shill their wares so hard at some locations but thats whatev, I sorta want them to hang on cause digital prices are nonsensical, a 3yr old game sitting on a server costing 60 dollars compared to the physical version thats 25 or 15 used, no brainer.

Gamestop has become this decades video store. With so little to offer that can't be purchased and downloaded on line they would need a drastic make over and get into something that people simply are not willing to buy on line .... which appears to be very little. Initially I was thinking if they got into hardware but with a twist of having classes in the evenings to help people "build your own". Even little things like the Rasberry Pi could pack them in, but I have to admit that could be very limiting with costly overhead .... other idea's?

I dont think they have the real estate to do this inside their stores lol. They are so tiny.

The same thing happened with TOYSRUS.

People want an experience. If I'm going to spend the time, effort and energy to go to a brick and mortor, I want it to be fun and geeky with huge screens and playable games and special guests and demos cool **** to buy and commune with my fellow gamers talk shop..........

Anybody can throw stuff on a shelf, but so can online retailers,.

Yeah they sold me a 60$ Brand new non working halo game over a decade ago and refused to replace or take it back the same day I bought it with a receipt... So I never shopped there again, Walmart has a insanely better return policy. I ended up going to a used cd\dvd store and having them use some kind of polish? machine to take a small layer off the disc and it worked just fine. They did it for free, usually costs a few bucks.

No love for these [dot][dot][dot]. After they purchased Impulse years and years ago, they screwed every non-US customer around.

Suits you well. Just begone. Disappear. Poof. Mist.

After they ditched PC games Gamespot was effectively dead to me. I think I might have bought a couple of used controllers there in the years since, but that's about it. Game trade-ins and used games that that are either no longer downloadable or never were are pretty much all they have going for them now. For hardware or new titles literally anywhere else will be cheaper. It saddens me a bit since I'm one of those relics who really like having a physical copy of a game. Maybe its my age or just paranoia about losing something that only exists on a hard drive. Regardless, I haven't bought a game from Gamespot in over ten years. Honestly, the best thing that could've happened to them is if they had merged with a major music and video chain. This could have provided a perfect segway into pure digital media and given media boutiques a chance against Wal-Monster.

The same thing happened with TOYSRUS.

People want an experience. If I'm going to spend the time, effort and energy to go to a brick and mortor, I want it to be fun and geeky with huge screens and playable games and special guests and demos cool **** to buy and commune with my fellow gamers talk shop..........

Anybody can throw stuff on a shelf, but so can online retailers,.
Goldeneye: Shemp Cam.

TS Mod: 3 words in all caps is considered shouting? LEL.

Back