GameStop, Staples among retailers that won't open on Thanksgiving Day this year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Whether you’re buying for loved ones or splurging on yourself, Black Friday is often your best bet if you’re looking to score a deep discount on a major purchase like a television or new mobile device. That, of course, is assuming you can tolerate the chaos that's come to be associated with one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

The madness has gotten a bit out of hand over the past several years and I’m not just talking about shoppers. Fierce competition – or what others would simply describe as greed – has prompted many retailers to open their doors to frenzied shoppers a day early on Thanksgiving.

So much for having time to digest that turkey you had for lunch.

The tactic, which forces retail employees to cut their holiday short, has provoked the ire of shoppers and select retailers alike. Last year, a trend emerged in which some retailers elected to remain closed on Thanksgiving Day so potential shoppers and staffers alike could enjoy their time off with family.

Black Friday is still more than six weeks away yet already, it appears as though that movement may continue.

GameStop has announced it will remain closed on Thanksgiving Day and open its doors the following morning at 5 a.m. That’s in stark contrast to last year when the company opened promptly at midnight on Black Friday. Office supply chain Staples is doing the same, closing for the duration of Thanksgiving and opening on Friday at 6 a.m. Last year, Staples opened for business at 6 p.m. on turkey day – two hours earlier than it did the year before.

I suspect several other retailers will join the “closed on Thanksgiving Day” bandwagon over the coming weeks. In addition to not having to staff its stores, retailers can use the stance to blast the competition via marketing. It may hurt their bottom line a bit but they'll survive.

What’s your stance on retailers that open a day early and Black Friday in general? Do you participate in the retail madness at all? Are doorbusters worth your time? I’m always open to a sweet deal yet at the same time, I have a deep-seated aversion to hoards of shoppers that will stop at nothing to save a few bucks. As such, my preferred method of deal shopping happens online starting on Black Friday and again on Cyber Monday.

GameStop image courtesy Daniel Acker, Getty Images

Permalink to story.

Thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have.... not whats your going to buy within a few hours after dinner. I'm glad companies are doing this! At least they are leading by example. Be with your family on Thursday and spend quality time. Then you can spend on Friday morning.

As for me... I will just shop on Amazon on Friday and Cyber Monday and avoid all craziness all together.

"What’s your stance on retailers that open a day early and Black Friday in general? Do you participate in the retail madness at all? Are doorbusters worth your time?"

1. Good for them.
2. No.
3. No.

I buy what I want, when I want. If it takes a special once-a-year sale to get me in the door, chances are I don't want what you're selling.

Good on them! I'm happy to see retail stores honoring their employees in such a fashion. It does encourage me to shop there knowing that the stores are respecting their staff.

This is fantastic. Still not great but if GameStop has any good Black Friday deals I'll gladly shop there instead of the alternative

Even if they are open, I'm so stuffed full of turkey, all I want to do is take a nap!

"What’s your stance on retailers that open a day early and Black Friday in general? Do you participate in the retail madness at all? Are doorbusters worth your time?"

1. Good for them.
2. No.
3. No.

I buy what I want, when I want. If it takes a special once-a-year sale to get me in the door, chances are I don't want what you're selling.

Yes, completely agree with you.

Also, just in case people don't know, Thanksgiving is about not dying of starvation and thanking the Native Indians for that and for the help in farming.
BUT...we are thankful for the abundance, which many don't have.

Good. Seems disgraceful to have sales on Thanksgiving Day. I hope more follow suite. And if you don't like your family that much go play Xbox instead, at least you aren't ruining other peoples celebration.

Well then... guess I won't be sleeping between Thursday and Friday.

Thanks non-unified store opening hours to screw everyone!

As someone who worked retail for 5 years and worked Thanksgiving Day through the weekend, I can tell you first hand how hard it is not to be with family and friends. When my former employer opened on Thanksgiving day at 10:00am last year without regard for families, I knew it was time to go. I tip my hat off to companies that understand that their employees have families and will stay closed.

I am so glad I don't work retail anymore. I worked at Staples for 5.5 years, and it was miserable. Not being able to spend time with your family was really hard. It was also exhausting. You also felt like a damn slave (because you were...in those corporations, you are just a number to be used). I had no idea that they were open on Thanksgiving. They weren't when I worked there thank goodness. These big box retailers just seem like a sham and the numbers reflect that since they are closing tons of stores and laying people off.

Good on them! I'm happy to see retail stores honoring their employees in such a fashion. It does encourage me to shop there knowing that the stores are respecting their staff.

When it comes to Staples, there is no such thing as 'honor' or 'respect' for its employees OR the general public - their stores will be closed this year ONLY because they haven't made the profit they'd hoped for during the last couple of years of being open on the holiday. And before you rush out to spend your money because of this 'respect' towards their staff, keep in mind that the bastards who run Staples will fire any employee who works more than 25 hours per week - just so the company doesn't have to provide any sort of worker benefits.

I believe if we are to have holidays, it needs to be just that for everyone. Anyone that can't prepare should be left to do without.

Back