Gateway intros LT2000 netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Gateway has thrown another netbook into the arena, introducing the LT2000 today. Judging by the press release, the LT2000 keeps true to the countless cookie-cutter Intel-based netbooks we’ve seen over the last year or two. While I’m not trying to belittle Gateway’s new netbook, it’s hardly brimming with innovation.

The LT2000 is available in several configurations and so its price varies accordingly. A sample configuration which bears the model number LT2001u features a 10.1” WSVGA LED-backlit (16:9) display, an Intel Atom N270 CPU and 945GSE chipset, 1GB of DDR2 533MHz RAM, a 160GB HDD, 802.11b/g, a webcam, three USB 2.0 ports, a multi-in-1 card reader and a 3-cell Li-ion battery.

This particular model weighs in at 2.62lbs and has a suggested retail price of $299.99. It ships with Windows XP SP3, a one-year standard warranty and the usual round of bloatware you’ve come to expect.

Permalink to story.

As opposed to a Linux distribution? Most are free, so you could install one if you cared to. Vista would eat that thing alive and 7 hasn't been officially launched.

For a Netbook of this class i have to say it's well built, silent and is comfortable to use for 2 and a half hours straight. most work related as well as recreational web surfing pretty much falls within the 1 hour to 2 hour limit. more hours mean one heck of a headache or eye strain on a 10.1 inch system, the 3 cell battery is enough for a modest man or woman with simple needs. I particularly like the screen it folds flat. unlike the Hp mini 2133 2140 series and because of it's aluminum body heat tends to be annoying on warmer climate specially the tropical countries of SEA. It does playback HD videos on youtube with ease, multi tasking ability maybe not at par will a full core2duo system but it does entrepreneurial or office work and occassional surfing needs well for it's size. What i don't like is the wifi access button it feels cheap, feels like falling off if too much effort is exerted as you flick it to the right. a design flaw that needs to be corrected on upcoming units.

A solidly built plastic netbook that doesn't feel cheap i pretty much like it and it serves my simple purposes in life just imagine it as a 9mm sidearm if you don't need to carry a shotgun or automatic rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back