Gateway M460 screen flashes then black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I have a Gateway M460 laptop comp. that for a few days the lcd had a light brown shadow on the left side of the screen. Then yesterday when turning it on the screen flashed about 3 times then went black. If you get the room light on it just right you can still see some of what is on screen. Can someone please advise me on what could be the problem. It is out of warranty so any help would be great. My wife uses it for school and needs it real bad.

Thank you,
Joe

Appears your inverter has gone bad. It is replaceable cheaply if you do it yourself.
The inverter is about the shape and size of a Sharpie pen and tests behind the screen at the bottom. It plugs in with plugs and sockets at each end. You need the exact inverter for that model, but can often find suppliers at ebay where you can get the part for $20 to $30. It is about $75 to $100 at Gateway.
Replacement requires removing the screw covers (little flat round or rectangle rubberized cosmetic covers put there for appearance), then using a very good hard steel philips screwdriver to remove about 18 screws. (Be careful to mark the screws and have a screw map for replacement as not all screws are the same size.) Once the screws are off, you lift off the screen, remove the old inverter and plug in the new one. Now all you have to do is put in the screws carefully, and you are done except for the screw covers. Screw covers are the toughest part. You will likely need a type of rubber cement that does not go hard with age.
DO NOT GET A USED INVERTER. BUY NEW ONLY.

Thank you so much. I will try to find one on ebay. When I get this done I will post results. Again Thank you for your response.

Joe

As for the screws do you mean the ones on top and bottom corners of the front of screen? It looks like just 4 to take cover off or am I missing some.

Thank you,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back