GeForce 7600GT fitting in Dimension 5100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokenbuyer

I just got a 7600GT and it doesnt fit perfectly in my Dimension 5100
The actual gold plated slot fits. But where you plug in your moniter and stuff its messed up

I took that metal shield thing off. Since its Rectangle, Circle, Rectangle. But 7600GT is Circle, Rectangle, Rectangle

DSCN9475.jpg

DSCN9476.jpg

DSCN9477.jpg

The metal tab on the tongue of the plate is whats blocking it

My computer works fine but it comes loose sometimes and might eventually come off

Thanks!

Okay. First things first- you can't run the card positioned like that- it will warp the PCB (circuit board) assuming you don't break something first.
On this page
http://www.gpureview.com/geforce-7600-gt-pci-e-card-385.html
Look at the image that has the card (there are 2 in this instance set up for SLI) set up on the motherboard,
I presume the problem is that the tongue of the plate (where the monitor connectors are)- the metal tab that extends below the motherboard- won't fit into any corresponding slot between your motherboard and the case. If this is correct you will need to modify either the case or the card backplate,
The easiest solution for a novice would be to remove the card from the computer and put the card into the anti-static bag it arrived in.
If you feel confident enough in your ability then either remove the faceplate or keep the card wrapped in the anti-static bag with just the faceplate showing, use a low-tack masking tape to seal the main part of the card in the bag and mask the DVI and S-Video connectors (where you plug the monitor cables in) and very carefully use -in order of preference:
Dremel/Rotary tool with cutting disc to cut the tab down/off
A fine tooth blade in a coping saw or similar.
The hard part of the operation is holding the card carefully but securely while doing this.
It may be worthwhile going to a light engineering workshop or similar and getting them to do it if you don't have the right tools to hand.
The other alternative is machining a slot in the chassis to accept the tongue of the faceplate. You would need to take all components out of the case and unless Dell have changed their case design radically the steel they use is brutal and difficult to modify/cut.

Yes it is the tab that is in the way
I don't get the anti statis bag part. ( I don't have one )

I wrap card in antistatic bag and tape it all the way to where the connectors are? Then cover the actual connector ports with tape?

Then I just dremel the tab now?

Your card should have arrived in an anti-static bag (plastic, probably metallic in colour). The anti-static bag would protect the card from static electricity which could kill it.
If you don't have one then wrap the card in a plastic bag or similar- you want to keep flying bits of metal from getting into the card when you're working on it-so just leave the metal tongue that you are cutting exposed and keep the rest of the card isolated by being wrapped up. After that its just a matter of cutting off part (or all) of the tongue. If you can cut just enough of the tongue so that whats left can fit between the motherboard and the inside of the back of the case- I'm assuming that there's a narrow gap there.

Yeah. And what about that shield thing that you screw in from the back?
The patterns are different. Is it imprtant to have it on?

I don't have access to any of those tools. But I can go out and buy
I don't want to go to a local shop

What's the cheapest home way to get this tab cut off?
I know crenels run at 40-100. More at times

What other cutting tool options do I have?

=================

I bought this from craigslist. The guy had a X12 computer an this didn't fit. It was 25 and a whole lot better than my stock 5100 card. So it just came inside the box with all original stuff

You don't need the shield thing.
Rotary tools are expensive for a one-off job.
If you go to your local hardware store and get a small Coping saw (like a small hacksaw but for more precise work) -it should come with blades, but if it doesn't then get a couple (just in case one breaks during the job) of 32 point or smaller for metalwork blades. You might want to get a small metalwork file and/or some wet and dry (sandpaper) of medium and fine grade just to smooth off any rough edges to the cut. Should only come to a few dollars and will be a lot cheaper than wrecking the card by having it jammed in the slot at an angle.

Thanks! I got it to fit in now.
It still wobbles up and down, and when i plug in the monitor plug, im still afraid it might come out of the slot.

What should i do to hold it still

What wobbles up and down? The whole card ?
Have you secured the graphics card plate to the computer case rear slot with a thumbscrew?
Where the guy's left thumb is in the third picture at the bottom of this page
http://www.brighthub.com/video-games/pc/articles/861.aspx?p=2

If the screw is in and relatively tight is the grahics card slot locking tab secured (hooked into the card) correctly- See picture 2 of the same page- the green tab at the back of the slot just above the motherboard battery.

The only other thing that could be loose under "normal" circumstances are the monitor plugs themselves and that would only require you to tighten the small hexagonal posts that the locking screws on the monitor cable attach to hold the cable in place.

Post back if it's none of these and you still have the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back