GeForce 8800 GTX Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starsky303

Hi all,

I've noticed that GTX my hangs at 61°C when idle. When playing something like World in Conflict or COD4, the temps rise to around 75°C which I've learned is acceptable. Funny thing is, when I'm playing Portal (and really only when I'm playing THAT game, not even Crysis!) my temps rise to 82°C albeit a stable 82°C but I'm always fearful as I had to buy another card as my last one overheated playing this game and started to spike, damaging the card (replacement in the post!).

This must've meant that the card had risen past 82°C and into the 90°Cs and maybe even beyond although that was when my PC was in a badly ventilated place and the rest of my hardware wasn't as good as it is now.

ANYWAY... I was just wondering what the actual 'dangerzone' temperature was for a GeForce 8800 GTX card was? How hot is too hot?

Many thanks! (and Merry Christmas!)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 OC'd - 3.1Ghz
ASUS P5KC
Corsair 4GB DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Dominator
XFX GeForce 8800 GTX XT
Coolermaster eXtreme Power 650W
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Windows Vista x64 Home
SAMSUNG 225BW

Do you have any cooling fans in your system. I have an XFX 8800 GTX card and 4 fans (not counting the board fan, plus I'm overclocking the system) and the highest temps I reach are around 52C) Just because other games will run at high temps doesn't necessarily mean anything. It has to do with the 3D apps and how long they tax the system. Also, when is the last time you cleaned out your system (opened the side cover and cleaned out the dust from the inside and used either a can of compressed air/Q Tip to clean all the fans).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back