AMD says it is aware of Radeon RX 7900 XTX temperature issues, advises owners to contact...

midian182

Staff member
In context: It seems both graphics card giants' latest product launches have been less than smooth. Nvidia had to deal with the melting power adapters on its RTX 4090, and some Radeon RX 7900 XTX MBA (Made By AMD) reference cards have been experiencing 110C hotspot temps. In the case of the latter, team red has given an official response: the company is aware of the problem and advises those experiencing it to contact customer support.

News arrived last week that some AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX reference models are experiencing thermal issues involving GPU hotspot temperatures, or the maximum temperature read by the sensor, reaching as high as 110C.

A Reddit user who wrote that their Radeon RX 7900 XTX was experiencing 110C junction temps while playing Modern Warfare II contacted AMD with an RMA request but was denied as the company said this is the normal junction temperature for the card. Other RX 7900 XTX users facing the same issue, which occurs even when the cooling fans are pushed to their max, were also denied RMAs.

AMD has now responded with an official statement to Tom's Hardware: "We are aware that a limited number of users are experiencing unexpected thermal throttling on AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards (reference models made by AMD). Users experiencing unexpected thermal throttling of an AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX should contact AMD Support."

It's speculated that the high temps are being caused by the baseplate on the reference cooler not making full contact with the GPU die and the memory controller dies, resulting in heat getting trapped and hotspot levels soaring.

It does appear that only reference and AMD-manufactured Radeon RX 7900 XTX GPUs sold by AMD and its partners are affected. Aftermarket cards featuring custom cooler designs seem to be safe.

The problem isn't present in every MBA Radeon RX 7900 XTX. Our review of an AMD reference graphics card model tested in a 21C room saw a peak hot spot temperature of 80C after an hour of gameplay with a peak average die temperature of 67C. This was achieved with a fan speed of 1900 RPM.

One of the software engineering technical leads on the Radeon RX 7900 XTX wrote on Reddit that AMD is investigating the matter and "correlating steps to repro and collecting serial numbers." They add that the ongoing Covid situation overseas is not helping matters as some factory representatives are out of the office on sick leave. It's hoped that a firmware update might be able to fix the issue in certain cases. Elsewhere, PowerColor is collecting user reports on the matter.

The high temps will be especially unwelcome for AMD after it threw shade at Nvidia over its rival's melting 16-pin 12VHPWR adapters with a tweet showing off its Radeon RX 7900 series' dual 8-pin connector

Permalink to story.

This reminds me of the 5700 XT and the fix was to put plastic washers on the screws for the back plate for more pressure.

Come on AMD, why not look after those customers and take this as an opportunity to earn some more goodwill from the community?

Another job for Gamersnexus I guess..

Since the 9800pro/xt era when they where dominating, everytime they could maybe not take the lead , but just be "a little better" on some points, AMD always f*ck up something... I don't know if it's bad luck or bad managing... but come one AMD you have to fight all those youtubers / streamers a.k.a nvidia direct sellers and you do this...

on another note I find it funny that the "young" ppl call "boomers" those old ppl who look at the TV and believe everything it said, when they do exactly the same or worse but behind a screen ( pc or mobile )... believing everything the "dude inside" is telling them to buy without even a little research, or OMG beware... thinking by themselves... at least the guys on TV was not just some random dudes with the only accomplishement was using a webcam to stream /rant off

Last edited:
Since the 9800pro/xt era when they where dominating, everytime they could maybe not take the lead , but just be "a little better" on some points, AMD always f*ck up something... I don't know if it's bad luck or bad managing... but come one AMD you have to fight all those youtubers / streamers a.k.a nvidia direct sellers and you do this...

on another note I find it funny that the "young" ppl call "boomers" those old ppl who look at the TV and believe everything it said, when they do exactly the same or worse but behind a screen ( pc or mobile )... believing everything the "dude inside" is telling them to buy without even a little research, or OMG beware... thinking by themselves... at least the guys on TV was not just some random dudes with the only accomplishement was using a webcam to stream /rant off
It's a bit amazing that your second paragraph contains multiple stereotypes in the first sentence. I'm a boomer that owns a small computer store in a rural area that sees customers of all ages act emotionally when choosing what to buy. Marketers, since forever, focus on manipulating people emotions to influence them. It all gets down to whether a person uses logic to consider what they choose to buy or blindly follows the thrill of spending money on a new shiny thing. From my perspective, no one of any age is not a target of advertisers and corporations.

It's a bit amazing that your second paragraph contains multiple stereotypes in the first sentence. I'm a boomer that owns a small computer store in a rural area that sees customers of all ages act emotionally when choosing what to buy. Marketers, since forever, focus on manipulating people emotions to influence them. It all gets down to whether a person uses logic to consider what they choose to buy or blindly follows the thrill of spending money on a new shiny thing. From my perspective, no one of any age is not a target of advertisers and corporations.
don't take it too seriously, I was just venting... I had a bad day

Come on AMD, why not look after those customers and take this as an opportunity to earn some more goodwill from the community?

Another job for Gamersnexus I guess..
Hoping it blows over is far less expensive. Goodwill alone isn't going to move the needle for AMD as much as you think considering where they are. If GN gets involved it will look bad for AMD, but I think they'll risk it since the majority will buy custom cards and moreso now after hearing AMD's reaponse.

AMD is consistent in a bad way. Hence 10% market share. When you're behind, you have to do better. You can only survive by dropping prices for so long before you end up - here.

I'm confused. If 110C is normal, why would they encourage you to call support?
Because clock speeds are lower. Also 110C is not normal, it's within limits.

AMD is consistent in a bad way. Hence 10% market share. When you're behind, you have to do better. You can only survive by dropping prices for so long before you end up - here.
Meanwhile on Nvidia side:

4HAnXsO.jpeg

I consider a bit slower card much better than that.

I dabbled in audiophile gear for awhile and it was beset with problems at the high end. I've also had high end GPUs that gave off way too much heat and made the experience unpleasant. So I stick to mid-range and lower TDP, basically aim for the absolute best bang for the buck performance to diminishing returns part of the curve. For whatever reason the issues are always ignored at the high end, despite the insane prices. And historically the majority of revenue has come from selling a great mid-range product. I'm not sure the realities of the market have changed despite what these companies want to tell people, at some point it's expensive snake oil.

Eventually mid-range GPUs will be released again. If Intel gets their drivers in line, there's a solid chance it carves out the dominant share in the matter of a few years, or Nvidia and AMD are forced to cut prices and the three exist in an uneasy competition for similar market shares---that is the scenario we the consumer will most benefit from. With AMD's lax hardware and software QC and support though, I would see them dropping to the smallest share (they're already only twice as big as Intel's first GPU gen).

Article does not have exact quote about what AMD said. However it's pretty clear that maximum allowed is not normal but more likely within limits because that "normal" also makes clock speeds not "normal".

AMD is consistent in a bad way. Hence 10% market share.

Where is this expert assumption taken from? Seems biased assumption and motivated by own preference over one choice.
I always wondered if people who throw these numbers try to look smart, or otherwise fuel the Nvidia parade, as louder may look smarter, but not necessarily true.

Seems AMD is not a multibilion dolar company for selling only few units. Actually millions and probably not taking into account the console beefy prospects.

BTi7xQJRvkAumH4wcz8XkC-970-80.png

Where is this expert assumption taken from? Seems biased assumption and motivated by own preference over one choice.
I always wondered if people who throw these numbers try to look smart, or otherwise fuel the Nvidia parade, as louder may look smarter, but not necessarily true.

Seems AMD is not a multibilion dolar company for selling only few units. Actually millions and probably not taking into account the console beefy prospects.

BTi7xQJRvkAumH4wcz8XkC-970-80.png
From JPR of course.

Attachments

• MW_Q322_PR_01.png
    MW_Q322_PR_01.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 2
Early adopters will always bear the brunt of teething issues as expected. Considering this issue only happens on MBA cards, I feel it is not a big problem over time where MBA card supply will decline over time. One of the nuances of AMD card is the very high hotspot temperature. So for people that cannot tolerate seeing high temps, they will avoid it.

Company method:
A) release ASAP those cards, the competition is already selling

B) engineers: but the pressure you put on us is not compatible with good testing. Answer from the CEO "release or fired". Engineer: "as you wish"

C) troubles. CEO "d.mn useless engineers! How is it possible that they are not fast and perfect! I can perfectly take fast my breakfast made my housewife and play golf fast" . Marketing: "1000°C is within limits, if you burn your fingers touching it is your fault and that the throttling hits 50% is entirely the client's fault and within the limits, so no lawsuit or RMA posible"

D) Apple is being doing that for ages and it keeps selling products as hot cakes. AMD can always try that way...

Design flaws his again.

So it's Karma hitting back at AMD after the 16 pin connector scandal.

I'm not saying this is a conspiracy or something.............. but how did AMD and Nvidia know that US will be hit by this cold wave?

Coming from the sources close to AMD there's a rumor that "...customers are now asking for updated drivers that would additionally increase the GPU operational temperature".

Another rumor is that AMD is soon releasing GPU-heated slippers. In two colors (gray and pink).

don't take it too seriously, I was just venting... I had a bad day
There will always be people who buy emotionally without thinking. Even when aware of this phenomenon, everyone is bound to do it some time or other, it's just human, and quite difficult to go against this trait. Exploiting this flaw willfully is another matter... and is the basis of advertisement.

Back