GeForce GTX 1650 matches the RX 570 in one FFXV benchmark, but is beat by the GTX 1050...

mongeese

Staff
Rumor mill: Nvidia’s irritating strategy of ‘just good enough’ seems to be making an ugly return, after it had seemed they'd turned over a new leaf with the GTX 1660. Benchmark entries from Final Fantasy XV’s database have arrived showing wildly different results, but even taking the best one, at an expected price of $179 it’s way off the mark.

The first benchmark, conducted at 1440p on FFXV's ‘Lite’ preset puts the GTX 1650 1% behind the GTX 1050 Ti, and 23% behind the Radeon RX 570. It’s 40% slower than the 1060 6GB, and 49% slower the GTX 1660. The second benchmark was run at 1080p on ‘High’ and it outdoes the GTX 1050 Ti by 38%, the Radeon RX 570 by 2%, and falls just 8% behind the GTX 1060 6GB.

In the second benchmark, the 1650 is 35% slower than the GTX 1660, which is about what you’d expect from two different tiers in Nvidia’s lineup. For that reason, and because it’s much more common for a card to underperform than overperform, I’d say it’s more likely that the 1080p benchmark reflects the card’s true performance.

It also lines up pretty well with the specs we’ve seen trickling down over the last few months. Built on the same TU117 GPU as the GTX 1660 and 1660 Ti, it’s alleged to have 896 cores running with a base clock of 1,485 Mhz with boost clocks reaching into the 1,600s. A standard 4GB of GDDR5 will run at 8Gbps on a 128-bit bus, and the card will consume about 75W of power so it won’t need a power cable.

The big question is, of course, price. DigiTimes claims that the card will launch at $179. That’s the same price the 1050 Ti is at now, but despite being faster it still wouldn’t be an appealing buy. Presently the RX 570, which is 43% faster than the 1050 Ti on average, costs drastically less at $130-$150. To price the 1650 competitively it would have to be roughly $150, so we’ll have to wait and see.

There’s not too long to wait, however. A leaked release schedule of March got pushed back to April 30th, but more recent leaks say April 22nd. Either way, we’ll be benchmarking in only a matter of weeks.

Permalink to story.

The one reason why a 1650 makes sense even at a higher price than the RX570 is one rather glossed over in the article. 75w TDP means it would not need external power. This is a big deal for the bazillions of pre built machines out there with feeble PSUs.

That's also why the GTX1050Ti sold well even in the face of the RX570, because it was the fastest slot power only graphics card available.

If this is as fast as an RX570 at 1080p and doesn't need external power it'll probably also do well. It's a big upgrade from anyone who has a machine with a GTX750Ti for example. That's still a big bunch of people.

Make it in a few low profile configurations and it will sell as the fastest solution on the market

Also, lets wait for full benches for final conclusion. Does FF bench use a lot of VRAM at 1440p? Are the drivers fully optomized? Lots of variables to consider before making final judgement

Gfx card prices have been a mess for a decade. This will launch at a higher price than faster cards, guaranteed. And people will naively buy it anyway.

Not saying its right, but you've got to produce what people want to buy. If they want nerfed 1050 TIs for the price of a 1060 then so be it. You'd do the same if you were an their shoes.

Make it in a few low profile configurations and it will sell as the fastest solution on the market

Also, lets wait for full benches for final conclusion. Does FF bench use a lot of VRAM at 1440p? Are the drivers fully optomized? Lots of variables to consider before making final judgement

FF is a mess, it uses all your available VRAM, I played FF on 1080p ultra, all 11GB of VRAM was full ...

Gfx card prices have been a mess for a decade. This will launch at a higher price than faster cards, guaranteed. And people will naively buy it anyway.

I stopped reading after the very first sentence.

"Will it be a match for AMD?"
Does it matter? NVIDIA has 82% of the dGPU market, just like they did after Maxwell.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure how to interpret this information when the bar graph on the right says that the RX580 is faster than the RX580.

The one reason why a 1650 makes sense even at a higher price than the RX570 is one rather glossed over in the article. 75w TDP means it would not need external power. This is a big deal for the bazillions of pre built machines out there with feeble PSUs.

That's also why the GTX1050Ti sold well even in the face of the RX570, because it was the fastest slot power only graphics card available.

If this is as fast as an RX570 at 1080p and doesn't need external power it'll probably also do well. It's a big upgrade from anyone who has a machine with a GTX750Ti for example. That's still a big bunch of people.

I think people went for GTX1050Ti over RX570 is because there's a stigma with AMD cards that they're somehow lower quality which is not true in my experience. Nvidia has a better reach, I'm sure some people don't ever consider AMD when buying GPU or a CPU regardless of performance.

I bought a 1050Ti at a time when RX570 was more expensive. Having 75W TDP without extra pins is a great addition but it really isn't a selling point. Now when RX570 is the same price as 1050Ti I would defintely go for RX570 simply because of the better performance.

My PSU is a 500W no name one that came in a prebuilt and AMD card in it required a 6pin connector. Even overclocked I didn't have issues with the PSU.

My point is I don't think power draw is something people care about, most important things are performance and the brand™ ofcourse.

My point is I don't think power draw is something people care about, most important things are performance and the brand™ ofcourse.

Nvidia is the default choice for many and no doubt AMD are seen as the poorer cousin which accounts for a large number of sales in this case.

However I do know that there is an enormous market for slot power only cards. It's not easily dismissed. Many pre built gaming machines used slot power cards, and most office spec pre built machines might struggle to support anything better without replacing the PSU. A 350W PSU with virtually no free connectors for example is extremely commonplace on office style desktop machines, even ones sold today. The question on forums comes up endlessly: 'I have this cheap low spec old/pre built, what's the best card I can put in it.'

The fastest slot power cards typically sell very well to these people. GTX750Ti still lingers because of this, look at it's rank on the Steam hardware survey. It's the only card in the top 13 discrete models that pre-dates the Geforce 900 series.

Tellingly the GTX950 that replaced it ranks much lower with less than half the install base, most likely because the majority of models needed external power.

Last edited:
75W
Slot power only

As other said, that's the point— the only point. Only an ***** would buy the 1050Ti over the RX 570 when building a PC from scratch but if you're adding a video card to an otherwise capable office machine like a Core i5 Optiplex 7010 tower, the 1050Ti is the best option for the job. Seeing as the 1650 will also be 75W with more cores, it will replace the 1050Ti as the go-to card for these office machine rescues.

So... why no 75W slot-power-only card from AMD?

A lot fo office machines have a 250w or less PSU. replacing the PSU is seen as too technical and fraught with difficulty, I too struggle with the 2nd chart,(1080) its got repetitions and mistakes

Not much gains compared to the 1050 TI which makes this update a wasted opportunity on NVIDIA's part. Green stands for greed in NVIDIA's case, not envy.

Glad I got my rx570 at $100 I would feel ripped off if I paid for a 1050ti at anything above $80 but this is just a card I purchased until Navi so long suckers mwahahahaha

Back