German retailer sees Intel's motherboard revenue surpass AMD's for the first time in years

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? In the eternal processor war between Intel and AMD, team blue has scored a win—to an extent. German retailer Mindfactory reports that Intel’s motherboard revenue has passed AMD’s for the first time in years, though it still lags behind when it comes to the total number of units sold.

Twitter's TechEpiphany (via Tom’s Hardware) reports that during week 7 of 2022, Mindfactory’s data showed Intel motherboards generated €234,656 (around $266,604) while AMD variants managed €208,236 (~$236,587). That means Pat Gelsinger’s firm was responsible for 53% of Mindfactory’s total mobo sales money, and Lisa Su's company gained a 47% share.

Tom’s Hardware notes that the figures are significant because Germany has long been a stronghold for AMD, especially since the launch of its Zen architecture.

It’s also important to note that while Intel did make more money from its motherboards than AMD in week 7, its rival sold more units. Customers bought 1,590 AM4 motherboards that week, while the total number of LGA1151, LGA1200, and LGA1700 boards sold was 1,350 units. That’s still a lot more than what Intel managed over the previous few weeks—consumer LGA 1700 (Z690) boards arrived in November alongside the Alder Lake processors. Moreover, the mainstream Alder Lake chips and H670, B660, and H610 boards only launched in January.

Intel’s mobo revenue was higher thanks to its more expensive motherboards. The average selling price (ASP) for Intel boards in week 7 was €173 ($196), while AMD motherboards' ASP was €131 ($146).

Last week saw Intel unveil its technology roadmap through 2024, including Raptor Lake, Meteor Lake, Arrow Lake, and Lunar Lake. It’s also been a good month for AMD, which surpassed Intel’s market value for the first time ever following its $49 billion all-stock takeover of Xilinx.

Permalink to story.

So AMD still outselling Intel. But Intel making more money to the retailer because of higher prices per unit.

Good for MindFactory I guess xD
Making more revenue, doesn't mean that the revenue is making extra money for MindFactory.
Could be less margin, than AMD.

Another point to note: If you are already on AM4, there‘s no need to buy a new mainboard when you want to get a new CPU. Even Zen 1 users on several 300 series mainboards can upgrade to Zen 3.

I guess this makes sense. People who are willing to pay for the fastest CPU are willing to pay considerably more for a motherboard.

While I agree, there are also many more useable low price AM4 vs. S1200/1700 boards. You can get a good B550 board for €80ish and neither need to worry about losing out on performance or features.

Heck, Alternate has an MSI B450 Pro Max for €37 (!) that should be perfectly fine for a Ryzen 5600X if you want to go budget and don‘t mind staying on PCIe 3. B550 boards start at €64.

Another point to note: If you are already on AM4, there‘s no need to buy a new mainboard when you want to get a new CPU. Even Zen 1 users on several 300 series mainboards can upgrade to Zen 3.

Isnt that a moot point these days? Does anyone upgrade their CPU every generation anymore? People upgrade their cpus every 4-5 generations now. Heck I'm upgrading from a 4790k to a 12700k this year, the whole "oh I can keep my motherboard" is not an option.

I wonder why these writers seems to only make articles or mention AMD if something negative is in it?

The rest is just fluffing Intel and Nvidia.

Really weird..
Totally untrue. Techspot awarded the R5 3600 the best value champion for 2 years in a row back to back and the R5 5600x afterwards. Now that Intel released better priced and more powerful CPUs with way better availability and the public is basing purchase decisions accordingly bothers you?

Isnt that a moot point these days? Does anyone upgrade their CPU every generation anymore? People upgrade their cpus every 4-5 generations now. Heck I'm upgrading from a 4790k to a 12700k this year, the whole "oh I can keep my motherboard" is not an option.
I agree that upgrading from one gen to the next is pointless unless you go from a bottom end model to a top end one.

However, a two or three gen upgrade can be nice - if you e.g. upgrade from a 1700 or 2600 to a 5600x you‘ll get much better performance and lower power consumption with little effort. It‘s not just the board/cooler cost but also the effort of having to build and install an entirely new system vs just replacing the CPU. And as a bonus, this reduces e-waste.

I definitely plan on upgrading my 2700X to something like a 5800X or 5900X once AM5 is out (EOL prices) and graphics cards are available for sane prices.

Looking at Mindfactory‘s AM4 CPU vs mainboard sales numbers, I‘d say that there are others who think the same way.

I agree that upgrading from one gen to the next is pointless unless you go from a bottom end model to a top end one.

However, a two or three gen upgrade can be nice - if you e.g. upgrade from a 1700 or 2600 to a 5600x you‘ll get much better performance and lower power consumption with little effort. It‘s not just the board/cooler cost but also the effort of having to build and install an entirely new system vs just replacing the CPU. And as a bonus, this reduces e-waste.

I definitely plan on upgrading my 2700X to something like a 5800X or 5900X once AM5 is out (EOL prices) and graphics cards are available for sane prices.

Looking at Mindfactory‘s AM4 CPU vs mainboard sales numbers, I‘d say that there are others who think the same way.
The majority don't upgrade often. This is a solid fact. That's 3 years minimum for the majority.

What's funny is everyone was screaming how well AMD socket longevity was when...

A) AMD didn't want Zen 3 on 400 series. So that would have left buyers with Zen (poop), Zen+ (bit better than poop) and Zen 2 on 300 and 400 series boards.

Intended 3 year socket life. (More like 2 with how close Zen and Zen+ were perf-wise with only 3% jump in IPC and cache latency improvments)

B) Even with the backtracking on that, users are more likely to have bought 500 series for Zen 2 or Zen 3 before EOL, so that's two year life span. Intel was already doing that and they had far faster CPU's than AMD at the time. Pre-Zen and early post Zen in regards to 4C/8T, 6C/6T and 8C/8T Intel CPUs and games. Zen and Zen+ were better suited for productivity and QHD+ gaming.

Intended 2 year socket life.

So much for AMD sockets lasting longer than Intel without crying for it from AMD after they tried to go back on their word, huh? And if I hear one more person blindly recommend someone upgrade from 5600X to something higher and doesn't need the cores for what they do on a PC, just because they can on AMD - I'll scream. Just stop. All of you.

I have a 5600X for those that want to imply otherwise. I buy AMD when it's worth it. Last AMD I had which was my first ever PC was the XP 2600+ Barton, followed by 3700+ San Diego, then Intel, Intel and back to AMD. What both sides have 2-3 years from now will determine who I go with next. Not before.

49% margin for Intel? Or the retailer?
My point was more that this doesn't mean at all, that retailers are making more money with Intel..
=>49% is Intel's margins.
They'll make more with Intel by simply selling more Intel systems, because they are better than AMD right now. AMD is being outsold everywhere already. In the next month or two there will be no question.

Last edited:
Amd epyc is killing intel xeon in high margin server processor segment
Xeon - 7.3M shipped
EPYC - 1.1M shipped

And since high marging AMD parts have been getting priority due to supply issues, other SKU's have suffered.
DIY is already ADL dominate worldwide. AMD has a rough road ahead.

Xeon - 7.3M shipped
EPYC - 1.1M shipped

And since high marging AMD parts have been getting priority due to supply issues, other SKU's have suffered.
DIY is already ADL dominate worldwide. AMD has a rough road ahead.
That is just because of limited amd's manufacturing allocation in tsmc.
If xeon and epyc are available, server buyer will choose epyc due to higher core density, better single & multiple core performance, lower power usage and cheaper price per core.
Epyc kills xeon in all technical aspects.

Xeon stuck at ice lake.
Intel would have produced tiger or alder lake based xeon if their manufacturing process is capable, but Intel can't

That is just because of limited amd's manufacturing allocation in tsmc.
If xeon and epyc are available, server buyer will choose epyc due to higher core density, better single & multiple core performance, lower power usage and cheaper price per core.
Epyc kills xeon in all technical aspects.

Xeon stuck at ice lake.
Intel would have produced tiger or alder lake based xeon if their manufacturing process is capable, but Intel can't
I know it's cause of TSMC. That's why I said it.
You should read up on where Xeon is headed, and keep an eye on TSMC 3nm...

Back