Get ready for the first 'iPhone mini'

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: We've had an iPad mini, an iPod mini, and a Mac mini, but no iPhone mini—that could change later this year, though. A leaker earlier this week claimed that one of Apple four upcoming handsets would use the iPhone mini moniker—a claim backed up by a new photo allegedly showing the name on unreleased silicone iPhone case stickers.

Regular leaker @L0vetodream tweeted that the next generation of Apple devices will be called the iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max. Another leaker, @duanrui1205, shared what appears to be more evidence of the mini name when he tweeted (via MacRumors) a photo of the case stickers, which originate from Apple's international distribution center in Ireland.

The image matches previous rumors regarding the iPhone sizes: the mini will be 5.4-inches, while the iPhone 12 and better-specced Pro model will be 6.1 inches. Finally, there's the iPhone 12 Pro Max that measures 6.7 inches, making it the largest ever display on an iPhone.

These sorts of leaks are usually taken with a healthy dose of salt, but @duanrui1205 has been accurate in the past, including the sharing of a manual showing an all-screen iPad Air that turned out to be real.

The iPhone mini's 5.4-inch screen size is still larger than the very popular 2020 iPhone SE (4.7-inches), but smaller than last year's 5.8-inch iPhone 11 Pro.

We've also heard that this year's iPhones will undergo a design change, returning to an industrial, flat-edge design seen in the iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone SE, and recent iPad Pros. Check out the rear design and size comparisons below, courtesy of MacRumors.

Permalink to story.

Since we know others will follow Apple a lot of people will finally get smaller phones they wanted.

I am not iphone fan but I hope apple puts iris scanner so samsung puts it again in note/galaxy s and other android manufacturers copy it.

Since we know others will follow Apple a lot of people will finally get smaller phones they wanted.

Absolutely guaranteed Samsung will release a Galaxy S20 ‘Micro’ Q2 next year, then include a smaller version for all future launches.

First smartphones, 3.5" screens. My first, in 2011, was the Dell Streak 5, with a "massive" 5.0" screen. The looks and laughs I got. Why do you need a phone with a screen THAT big?
Now phones are approaching 7", so now, Apple is going to push the smaller screen. What's old, is new again.

Absolutely guaranteed Samsung will release a Galaxy S20 ‘Micro’ Q2 next year, then include a smaller version for all future launches.
I just don't understand why they wait for Apple to do it first. If they paid any attention they would know people want smaller phones, phones that were once considered huge. 5.4 inches with bezeless design would be awesome. That should've been iPhone SE.

I'm still happily running my Pixel 2 with a 5" screen size, and wondering why they can't go smaller?

I figured eventually we would see a return to saner screen sizes. The Android Phone Size Rodeo only happened because it's cheaper to build a single model (so they made the MAX models the "one-size fits all". )

I just don't understand why they wait for Apple to do it first. If they paid any attention they would know people want smaller phones, phones that were once considered huge. 5.4 inches with bezeless design would be awesome. That should've been iPhone SE.

Generally speaking, 50% of the population have smaller hands than the other half, some significantly.

My girlfriend is quite into tech and has been using an S7 for years, she doesn’t want to upgrade to a gimped version of the latest handset just because she physically can’t use the newest model with one hand. How many other people think the same?

I myself don’t have massive manly hands so wouldn’t buy anything larger than my current iPhone X. Samsung seem to have forgotten this so I’m really pleased apple (as always) are taking the initiative cater to this undoubtedly huge market

Another phone with a Notch, no thanks.
Doubt Apple would implement a pop-up front camera. I love it on my phone and it's surprisingly rigid. Using a phone with a punch-hole display after it really feels like a downgrade.

Back