Gigabit Internet Service - Speedtests

I recently signed up with Comcast Xfinity and paid the upgrade to get their gig speed service. The router they provided has two wired connections along with two WiFi channels, 5GHz AC and 2.4GHz N/G. Of course I started running speedtests with speedtest.net and speedtest.xfinity.com. I noticed that the fastest speedtest I was getting through the 5GHz wifi channel was 300Mbps. Of course this was lower the further away I was from the router. I then connected a laptop through one of the ethernet ports. Prior to the next step, I did speed tests with 3 different laptops, all with gig ethernet cards:

i5-6300 / 16GB RAM / Windows 10
i3 6th gen / 4GB RAM / Windows 10
i5 3rd gen / 8GB RAM / WIndows 8.1

I got similar results with each, never getting above 300-350Mbps. We went to the Xfinity store to look at options on our TV service, so I also talked to them about the speeds at the same time. The guy said that people with the gig service regularly get 800-900+Mbps when running speedtests. He said it could always be an issue with my individual router, so he gave me another one to take home and swap out. He said if results were the same I should call in to have a technician come out. I swapped out the new router and nothing changed on the speed.

Tech came out and hooked his tablet into the router with an ethernet converter box. His speedtests, using what he called a 'proprietary' app, were showing the expected 800-900+Mbps. He said there could be an issue with my 'device' as to why I was not getting those speeds. Of course I call BS, being that he brings in a specific set up that could easily be rigged to show a desired result. That paired with the fact that my speedtests were lower on multiple devices with gig capability, not just one. Got on the phone with his supervisor and he said they can have another tech come out with a laptop rather than the tablet/converter rig.

After the first appointment, I grabbed a desktop that we built as a gaming machine for my son a little less than 3 years ago: i7-4790K / 16GB RAM / Windows 8.1 / GeForce GTX1060 6GB. I connected this machine directly to the router through ethernet. To my surprise, it is getting the expected 800-900+Mbps when running speed tests.

Obviously this machine is more powerful than the laptops, but they are by no means weak or super old. Has anyone had a similar experience with a gig connection? Is there anything specific as far as settings, etc. that I need to be looking at on the laptops that may be limiting the speeds?

GB speeds are limited to "the slowest link in the chain" problem and that extends all the way upstream to the ISP gateway.
As your gaming system and current router show good results, your Modem, Router and the NIC in that system are just great.

Now the challenge is to get other devices with NICs and WiFi adapters with similar specs.

Back