Gigabyte Aorus FO48U 48" 4K OLED Review

Gaming on OLED at night is truly immersive compared to LCD trash that is for sure.

Sadly PC monitors are 5+ years behind TV in terms of image quality - we have speed tho (aka refresh rate) hahah.. Oh well at least TN is dying but IPS and VA are still lightyears behind OLED.

120 Hz on OLED feels more like 150-175 Hz on LCD in terms of smoothness. Because OLED has way faster pixel transitions etc.

I hope we will get true PC monitors with OLED or MicroLED in the coming years... Hopefully before 2030 😂

I like it but it still has one MAJOR flaw ...... those stupid legs. Samsung used to make a great center column with a sturdy base that was far superior and look up a lot less desk surface space!

I like it but it still has one MAJOR flaw ...... those stupid legs. Samsung used to make a great center column with a sturdy base that was far superior and look up a lot less desk surface space!

This is a TV not a monitor and most people will be wallmounting it

No, it doesn't. Today's graphics cards have HDMI 2.1, which is what you need for this "monitor". DisplayPort 1.4 for it is a waste of port for such TV.

Well DP 1.4 with DSC can do 4K/UHD at 144 Hz at 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling.

HDMI 2.1 is fine tho and it does not really need DP.

LGs 42 inch OLED tvs (and panels) coming at CES 2022 is going to be way better for most people (looking to use it as a PC monitor).

OLED gaming = Insane immersion. HDR looks breathtaking, no PC "HDR" monitor even comes close.

Actually HDR is a god damn joke on 99.9% of HDR PC monitors and the last 0.1% costs 3-4 times the price of an OLED TV and still they have worse image quality than OLED.

LCD needs hundreds (pref. thousands) of dimming zones to be able to show HDR properly and this is hella expensive, hence the price and this is why it's a joke on PC monitors, HDR400 and HDR600 is downright useless, HDR1000 is bare minimum for a decent HDR experience - that still does not even come close to what OLED can deliver.

Backlighting is the single biggest issue with LCD tech and it will never be fixed. This is why OLED and MLED is the future.

Last edited:
Backlighting is the single biggest issue with LCD tech and it will never be fixed. This is why OLED and MLED is the future.
Arguably, MLED will be substantially better than any previous monitor technology if not only because of greater brightness and zero possibility of burn-in; however, when it first hits the market, it will far outprice anything on the market at that time.

In the meantime, printed OLEDs will be hitting the market soon, and that should bring the price down even further. Its unfortunate that OLED has brightness limitations. Its beyond a doubt that OLED, such as it is, is far superior to all other display technologies so far, IMO.

Almost all information is from a youtube channel called hardware unboxed, Tim Schiesser you need to put your sources where you got your information, in some places you would be fired without hesitation for this rookie mistakes and for not crediting the information, images and graphs you took.

48 inch is a freaking TV not a monitor. It wont fit on any desk and even mounted on the wall you wont be able to sit behind it to game. The word "monitor" implies compact size and it doesn't apply here. Only thing this TV is good for is plugging into xbox or ps5. Might as well use your 55 or 65 inch tv if your going big. Cheers!

Almost all information is from a youtube channel called hardware unboxed, Tim Schiesser you need to put your sources where you got your information, in some places you would be fired without hesitation for this rookie mistakes and for not crediting the information, images and graphs you took.
Hardware Unboxed posts the video reviews. Techspot posts the text articles. The reviews are done by the same people.

Nobody should be fired for writing articles and posting videos of their own work. I wish more video reviewers would write articles.

Arguably, MLED will be substantially better than any previous monitor technology if not only because of greater brightness and zero possibility of burn-in; however, when it first hits the market, it will far outprice anything on the market at that time.

In the meantime, printed OLEDs will be hitting the market soon, and that should bring the price down even further. Its unfortunate that OLED has brightness limitations. Its beyond a doubt that OLED, such as it is, is far superior to all other display technologies so far, IMO.

Yeah, MLED is probably the end-game. But Samsung is unlikely to push them below the 77" form factor for at least a few more years, so until then OLED reigns supreme.

That being said, most OLED users like me are running with the backlight at 30 or lower; you *really* don't need to be blasting the backlight unless in HDR mode.

48 inch is a freaking TV not a monitor. It wont fit on any desk and even mounted on the wall you wont be able to sit behind it to game. The word "monitor" implies compact size and it doesn't apply here. Only thing this TV is good for is plugging into xbox or ps5. Might as well use your 55 or 65 inch tv if your going big. Cheers!

That's what a lot of us are using.

This is a TV not a monitor and most people will be wallmounting it
Not if you are using it as a monitor - which is what this is marketed as.

I've noticed almost all large TVs have gone away from the center column - I guess too many were collapsing? It's too bad as the center column allows you to place a monitor (or TV) on a smaller surface.

I have the Sony A9F 65" with it's ridiculous kickstand - phenomenal OLED TV by the way, but I really wish it had a normal center column like my old Samsung...

Unless you go LG Oled TVs , or plan on upgrading receiver ( silly for gaming as want EARC for latency ie device -> Tv -> Receiver )
I'm waiting for next year TVs as I think HDMI 2.1 will be much better sorted .
So can connect Xbox, PS5, PC and another to TV to get full 120 at 4K in all modes -dolby etc

Plus 77 inch is becoming the new 65 inch . Some 97 inch models are coming ( if 8K then just admire from a distance and buy 83 inch )

Prices will definitely drop next year . LG opening more factories.
Samsung will be selling OLEDS as well

So get a better TV next year would better connections for $1000 less

No, it doesn't. Today's graphics cards have HDMI 2.1, which is what you need for this "monitor". DisplayPort 1.4 for it is a waste of port for such TV.
I think you spelled out the main issue yourself, and that is most people don't have a "today's graphic card". There may be people connecting an NUC whether from Intel or AMD, that may not have a HDMI 2.1 port, which makes the inclusion of a DP 1.4 very useful since it has been around for a much longer time and adoption on devices is generally better.

I think you spelled out the main issue yourself, and that is most people don't have a "today's graphic card". There may be people connecting an NUC whether from Intel or AMD, that may not have a HDMI 2.1 port, which makes the inclusion of a DP 1.4 very useful since it has been around for a much longer time and adoption on devices is generally better.
If they have an "old" video card, they probably don't need HDMI 2.1 anyways... Pretty much every video card has an HDMI port - so Display Port isn't necessary (but still nice to have).

Not if you are using it as a monitor - which is what this is marketed as.

I've noticed almost all large TVs have gone away from the center column - I guess too many were collapsing? It's too bad as the center column allows you to place a monitor (or TV) on a smaller surface.

I have the Sony A9F 65" with it's ridiculous kickstand - phenomenal OLED TV by the way, but I really wish it had a normal center column like my old Samsung...
A TV is still a TV even if it's used with a PC in my eyes 😂

I don't know what you mean by center column.

I have LG C9 65 inch for my 2nd PC monitor in the office. LG B9 55 inch for the bedroom and LG G1 77 inch in the living room, all delivers spectacular image quality.

I can't wait till we can get this kind of image quality on PC monitors in the 27-32 inch range. I still find 42 inch too big and I'm not sure LG Display will be making smaller OLED panels than 42 inch anytime soon.

My 2020 CX does 4K120 at 4:4:4 on series X. Teoh has a YouTube item about it.
I never said HDMI 2.1 has trouble doing it (but some TVs have)

DP 1.4 without DSC can't tho and are limited to 120 Hz or 4:2:2 at 144 Hz, at 4K/UHD

I like running FO FO FO

A TV is still a TV even if it's used with a PC in my eyes 😂

I don't know what you mean by center column.

I have LG C9 65 inch for my 2nd PC monitor in the office. LG B9 55 inch for the bedroom and LG G1 77 inch in the living room, all delivers spectacular image quality.

I can't wait till we can get this kind of image quality on PC monitors in the 27-32 inch range. I still find 42 inch too big and I'm not sure LG Display will be making smaller OLED panels than 42 inch anytime soon.
Samsung 50.jpg

That's a center column-type TV... much more versatile...

And if the TV is on your desk attached to a PC, it's a monitor... but the difference is becoming less and less noticeable...

Back