Gigabyte intros Booktop T1125 convertible notebook

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Rarely a day goes by without the introduction of a new laptop, and today's no exception. However, Gigabyte has tried to spice things up with its latest offering, the Booktop T1125. Touted as a "3-in-1" device, the multipurpose specimen serves as an 11.6-inch notebook, a tablet, as well as a pintsized desktop or secondary (touch-enabled) display courtesy of a docking station that stands the Booktop sideways and includes a slot-loading DVD drive.

The T1125 will come in at least a few variants, with the higher specced models packing an 11.6-inch 1366x768 rotating multitouch display, an Intel Core i3 or i5 low-voltage processor, Intel HD graphics with an Nvidia GeForce 310M and Optimus, 2GB to 4GB of RAM, 320GB to 500GB of storage, a six-cell battery, and Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional. Lesser-equipped versions have a Dual Core U5400, no Nvidia graphics, and a four-cell battery.

Common features include a 1.3-megapixel webcam, two USB 2.0 ports, one eSATA combo, HDMI and VGA-out, gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n wireless, and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR. Pricier models have one USB 3.0 port and a built-in 3G antenna. The Booktop T1125 is expected to launch later this month. Pricing is still mostly unknown, but DigiTimes mentions $1,299 as a potential MSRP, but it's unclear whether that's for the better processor and graphics chips.

Permalink to story.

That seems a heck of a lot better than an iPad even though it does cost quite a bit more. I guess I would be unwilling to have such a small screen to get the ability to use it as a tablet as well. Although for some I am sure this thing would have a million uses in certain workplaces.

Quite some all-round gadget. One thing I still dont smile at about these pricey stuffs is with their webcam, just 1.x mp. Couldnt we have these gadgets come with better webcam picture quality: some kind of 4.0/ 6.0 mp? Where is nano technology and the other over the edge stuffs that we hear are being dscovered on a daily basis?

Very nice. I don't know if its just me, but its hard finding Gigabyte laptops on this side of the world. Where can you find them?

*drools*.......I may have just changed my mind about saving up to build a computer, lol. I wants it!

I think the price do not correspondent with the 11.6 inch display at all. But very nice Booktop (with all the fancy stuff), there's no mistake at that :)

It is a very nice concept, but I don't know how practical it is for most consumers. There seems to be a trend toward lighter and less complicated, but this thing is going in the opposite direction. It's trying to do everything. I like it, though, even if it won't sell in the millions.

I was think about making an all in one device similar to this, but i have no money/resources to pull it off............ But tell me what you think anyway.
So, all of the tablets out right now, or coming out in the near future have similar specs/hardware architecture to smartphones right? Like for instance the, iphone 4 and ipad (a little different but very similar) or the Galaxy S phone, and the Galaxy S Tab.

Imagine if you will... lol... Having a chassis that a smartphone, like the Galaxy S for example, could slide into which only contains a large (7"-10") capacitive LCD, some extra buttons, and an extra battery pack to power the screen; it would interface via hardware/software built into the phone, and make it so that all the processing would be done from the phone, but you would have the larger screen to make it usable as a tab.
Take it one step further, and develop a docking station for this "tablet" and have it equipped with a keyboard and mouse pad, and use your smartphone/tab as a netbook. Or you could have a docking station that has a separate keyboard and mouse for desktop type use.

It's really is not that far fetched, and I think that AVERAGE computer users who only chat on Facebook, use spreadsheets or documents, and surf the net, etc, etc, would consider buying something like this. One could sell the peripheral components separately or as bundles.

What do you think? Would you buy, or know someone that would buy something like that?

Interesting twist on the typical convertible tablet. I know I've heard lots of people comment on the fact that they would like to be able to use their touch-screen tablet as a touch-screen secondary monitor on their desktop from time to time, but this is the first time I've seen a manufacturer actually give that functionality. Gigabyte isn't known for laptops though, so it will be interesting to see reviews on the build quality of this device.

@customcarvin, I'm pretty sure I've seen at least a concept device using that same principal from one manufacturer, but for the life of me I can't remember a name to search for it.

Nice device, but a little too heavy for my taste.

@customcarvin, it may already be possible to use some phones as computers. Many (all?) of them support bluetooth keyboards, some have HDMI outputs, and there are monitors with HDMI inputs. The laptop configuration is not that easy to achieve. I remember a device which allowed you to plug a phone into them to get such functionality, but it was too expensive to matter (and I don't remember any details about it). Considering the existing keyboard and HDMI interfaces on phones, it may be easier to create such a case these days that works with a multitude of phones.

Back