Gionee's M2017 smartphone packs a 7,000mAh battery that lasts for days

midian182

Staff member

For all the advanced features found in today’s smartphones, an unsatisfactory battery life is still an issue for many consumers. Chinese smartphone manufacturer Gionee has obviously made a note of this; last year it announced the Elife E8, which comes with a 6,020mAh battery, and now it’s about to launch the M2017 - a luxury handset that sports a massive 7,000mAh battery.

The handset was certified by China’s version of the FCC – TENAA – back in November. It features a leather body and metal back, along with a curved 5.7-inch QHD (2560 x 1440) display and 6GB of RAM. There’s also dual rear 12MP and 13MP cameras with 2x optical zoom and 8x digital zoom, an 8MP front snapper, dual-SIM support, 128GB and 256GB storage options, an encrypted call service available to anyone who uses China Telecom, and a front-facing fingerprint reader with support for WeChat and Alipay.

All-in-all, the M2017 has some flagship-matching specs, but for some reason Gionee didn’t feel the need to include a top of the line processor. The phone uses a mid-range Snapdragon 653, rather than something like the Snapdragon 821 found in Google’s Pixel smartphones. It's also missing a microSD card slot, and has taken a note out of Apple’s playbook by lacking a 3.5mm headphone jack.

But it’s the incredible 7,000mAh battery (made up of two 3,500 mAh batteries) that is the M2017’s main selling point. Being more than double the size of most high-end smartphones, it’s good for nearly 32 hours of talk time and 26 hours of non-stop video, according to Gionee. Essentially, the handset will give several days of moderate use before needing a recharge.

The M2017 is available for pre-order now, launching in China on January 6. Sadly, there doesn’t seem to be any international release on the cards. As it's classed as a luxury smartphone, prices start at around $1,007 for the 128GB model, rising to an eye-watering $2,446 for the 256GB version.

Permalink to story.

LOL at that price for a jack-less phone.

The battery is awesome, but 2k+ for a phone with a mid range SoC and no jack? no thanks.

No worries .... the American's are getting pretty good at stealing the Chinese secrets so we'll have it pretty soon .... at 5x the price, but what the heck ... it's only money.

The operating system (android version ???) is missing as well as the update policy of the OS for this device. Why should I spend a grand on a device who might come with android marshmallow?

The battery is awesome, but 2k+ for a phone with a mid range SoC and no jack? no thanks.
sorry, I don't get what is all these fuss about the missing jack, I have two bluetooth headphones, one of them with noice canceling and I am very happy - haven't used the jack in years

sorry, I don't get what is all these fuss about the missing jack, I have two bluetooth headphones, one of them with noice canceling and I am very happy - haven't used the jack in years
Because, surprise surprise, other people's use cases are different then yours?

I have very nice wired headphones. I want to both charge my phone and listen to audio in my car, which has an aux jack. Bluetooth audio Still sucks compared to wired. Bluetooth is still prone to matching problems that wired doesnt have. I dont want to have to remember to charge my headphones to use them. I dont want companies to have a way to put DRM on audio devices, which cant be done with conventional cables. My home theater system uses 3.5mm, not bluetooth. Ece. Ece.

Why on earth would I want to use a troubled standard that still cant match a jack that is over 30 years old in terms of quality? Why would I want the added inconvenience of having to charge yet ANOTHER device that will be a throw away consumable because the batteries are sealed in?

Why does everyone buy this "we need to get rid of the jack to make our phone waterproof/thinner" argument when phones are already too thin, and waterproofing the audio jack is super easy?

Much like when it's american too :D

I see what you mean, but there have been a couple (quite expensive) American phones that implemented end-to-end encryption via proprietary VoiP. Of course you can root your Android device and enjoy several different apps that do the same thing. This does tend to get you followed by unmarked vans, but in China it would get you disappeared.

Personally, I like the look. However, this seems like the Chinese Galaxy Note bomb. There is no way putting two batteries that close together doesn't produce ridiculous amounts of heat and melt these phones to slag in your purse/pocket/nightstand.

Back