Gmail creator: Chrome OS is as good as dead

Emil

Staff

Former Google employee, Gmail creator, and FriendFeed founder Paul Buchheit has come right out and said what many people are thinking (or hoping for). On his FriendFeed page, Buchheit made a post titled "Prediction: ChromeOS will be killed next year (or "merged" with Android)." In it, he bluntly says that Google's netbook-centric Chrome OS is as good as dead.

"Yeah, I was thinking, 'is this too obvious to even state?', but then I see people taking ChromeOS seriously, and Google is even shipping devices for some reason," Buchheit writes. "Because ChromeOS has no purpose that isn't better served by Android (perhaps with a few mods to support a non-touch display)."

Last month, Google CEO Eric Schmidt had to differentiate Android and Chrome OS. He tried to explain why Google was working on a second operating system by saying that Android is tailored for mobile devices with touchscreens while Chrome OS is primarily designed around something with a keyboard (traditional computers such as PCs, netbooks, and laptops).

That may be true, but Android is already appearing on various non-touch devices. Separately, Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb), which comes out next year, is supposed to feature tablet-specific improvements so the different types of devices we'll see it on will continue to grow.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, I really don't see the point of Chrome OS. I would NEVER see myself using it other than to play with it. The concept of the OS being the browser is a frighteningly limiting and confining idea fit for only those who don't know to use a computer.

Question:
What else other than using a browser or throwing its integrated graphics at the wall can you do with a netbook? It has a niche, at least admit that. :)

bakape said:
Question:
What else other than using a browser or throwing its integrated graphics at the wall can you do with a netbook? It has a niche, at least admit that. :)
My friend plays video games on his netbook.

An OS designed for them 80 year old grandparents who hardly even know what a "browser" or an "OS" are. All they do is use favorites anyway, well done Google!

I believe that Chrome OS also forces you to keep all of your data online only. If this is true, I could never accept that. I need the ability to back up my own data and store it on a media of my choosing. Can there really be a 100% guarantee that online data is save and never be compromised? Also some small businesses use a closed network offline to conduct business, how can Chrome OS work for them?

Emil said:
bakape said:
Question:

*jealous* I couldn't squeeze more than 8 fps out of 7 year old game on lowest settings with my thing. Amazingly WoW played at 20 on it *confused*.

I believe that Chrome OS also forces you to keep all of your data online only. If this is true, I could never accept that. I need the ability to back up my own data and store it on a media of my choosing. Can there really be a 100% guarantee that online data is save and never be compromised? Also some small businesses use a closed network offline to conduct business, how can Chrome OS work for them?

Of course you can plug a USB drive or SD card and store everything there. No internal hard disk though :\

I don't like the idea of "everything" being on the cloud.
Ok, try this one...lets say windows, apple etc...go to a cloud only OS.
For one, it would probably cut the piracy quite a bit, but, say you have all your
files stored on the "cloud". Then who's to say that the vendor, doesn't change the TOS,
and holds your files hostage until you pay up for the next "upgrade"?

I can just see how chrome Os is going to be the best thing EVAR for dialup users...
Did anyone mention how disgusting and cheap the first notebook with this "OS" looks?

Seriously just beef up android and drop this dumb browser-os thing.

I'm pretty sure that your data is not only stored online. If it was, there would be now way to use the computer off line. The laptop has a built in SSD for storing the OS and other files.

Google should have let Apple release something like this first, then it could have had a chance. Stick with Android that's the future.

I can just see how chrome Os is going to be the best thing EVAR for dialup users...
Did anyone mention how disgusting and cheap the first notebook with this "OS" looks?

Newsflash! Samsung and Asus (if i'm not mistaken about the last one) aren't releasing anything until Q1. The thing you saw is a CR48, which google ships to developers and enthusiasts in the US after filling out a form. Pardon them for a review-purpose free netbook not having dah shiniez!

I would be happy when this happens.

This is a ticking time bomb for most users this is oriented, that I would actually be sad if it hits and people start praising it.

lipe123 said:

It doesn't look cheap, it looks professional. How would you like it to look? It is a review sample....

Kibaruk said:
I would be happy when this happens.

This is a ticking time bomb for most users this is oriented, that I would actually be sad if it hits and people start praising it.
Put an Apple logo on it and they will

The sooner it dies off the better.

Google needs to concentrate on Andriod and world domination.

Emil said:
bakape said:
Question:

For that one single reason alone, Chrome have no future, beyond some basic functions on netbooks. On the contrary, I think his point of view about developing Android make lots of technical and financial sense, which incidentally, Eric' seems to lack when he was putting it out for the public.

Once upon a time, OSs were numerous.
(sometimes different os from the same vendor)

4 years ago, who remains (mainstream, I won't count amigaos and the like)
-> win, nux, mac, and some nix falvors on servers.

New devices arrived, new OSs arrive by dozen.
Future will tell who survive.

What I fear the most, is the tendancy to have a "pay for anything" OS.
(pay for any stupid applet that already exists free for PC platform)

If Stallman was dead, he'd wake up from is tomb ...

Ican only hop for better days, and better standards, and the come back of freedom on my devices.

bakape said:

Of course you can plug a USB drive or SD card and store everything there. No internal hard disk though :\

We don't need internal HD that much these days anymore ;)

Back