Good Countries for Retirement?

So, there's an interest among a couple of soon to be retirees I know about moving out of the US to spend their retirement years, for some reason or another. For health purposes, they are only interested in countries with a high COVID vaccination rate. After some brief research, I found the following countries that might be attractive:

Chile
Portugal
South Korea
Spain
Australia
Uruguay
Denmark

How easy would it be to immigrate to the above seven countries, and how much money needs to be saved in order to life a comfortable life for the last 10-20 years? For the purpose of this exercise, please assume that the retirees in question have $300-500k in savings.

Scratch any EU country off your list unless you enjoy being hosed on taxes. I'd be looking at the Philippines, Thailand, Montenegro, Panama or Costa Rica. Ukraine would be on that list if not for being invaded.

Scratch any EU country off your list unless you enjoy being hosed on taxes. I'd be looking at the Philippines, Thailand, Montenegro, Panama or Costa Rica. Ukraine would be on that list if not for being invaded.
There is an irony of sorts I wanted to mention to you before but it slipped my mind. Remember when you told me you had been thinking of retiring in Ukraine? Well, guess what, I'm thinking of retiring in Alaska!

@Airborne
Anyway back OT. Panama has topped the retirement index something like 10 years in a row. So I'll second the Panama nomination.

Thank you very much for your responses, everyone. Panama is a maybe ... although the 72.1% vaccination rate there is higher than that of the US, I would honestly want something in the 80s before I add that to the countries that I recommend.

The list without the EU countries would be the following:

Australia
Chile
Uruguay
South Korea

My personal feelings in terms of recommendation are listed from top to bottom. Thoughts? I am particularly interested if health care costs are high in those countries.

Thank you very much for your responses, everyone. Panama is a maybe ... although the 72.1% vaccination rate there is higher than that of the US, I would honestly want something in the 80s before I add that to the countries that I recommend.

Australia
Chile
Uruguay
South Korea

My personal feelings in terms of recommendation are listed from top to bottom. Thoughts? I am particularly interested if health care costs are high in those countries.
You'd like Australia ... the cops there beat people half to death for not being vaxxed.

Australia
Chile
Uruguay
South Korea

I love Australia. Been there 3 times and will go again.
I've only been to S. Korea for business, but I loved it.

You'd like Australia ... the cops there beat people half to death for not being vaxxed.
As usual, you tear your favorite page from a book and throw the rest of the book away.

Those Australian anti-vax protesters deserved to be beat down because they mistakenly thought they could use violence to get their way. Boy were they wrong.

The consensus is that the only thing the police did wrong was not use enough force because a fair number of them got away.

The whole story is always stripped down by the right to suit a false premise.

Plenty of elderly people make increasingly bad decisions as they get older and deciding to up sticks and retire to a completely different country has to be up there with the worst. What could possibly go wrong? Even if it works there are so many variables that the dream could become a nightmare in a very short time.

If you wish to retire in Greece or Portugal stop flushing toilet paper after a No 2 because apparently the sewage systems connected to the porcelain are unable to cope with paper. Their regulations are specific about this. Also seek out classes for Portuguese/Greek. it's not easy reach a reasonable level of fluency in a new language.

If you wish to retire in Greece or Portugal stop flushing toilet paper after a No 2 because apparently the sewage systems connected to the porcelain are unable to cope with paper. Their regulations are specific about this. Also seek out classes for Portuguese/Greek. it's not easy reach a reasonable level of fluency in a new language.
Omg Yes, carefull with the toilet paper lmaooooo

Back