Good deal (?) on Asus G74SX

Hi there,

I am looking for a good deal on a powerful laptop (max $1,100) and think I have found one:

Asus G74SX
$1,098
Processor: Intel® Core i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.9GHz, 6MB, 45W
Memory: 16gb ddr3 1333mhz (4x 4gb)
Hard Drive: 500gb 7200rpm
Video Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 2GB vram GDDR5 DX11
Display: 17.3" 1600x900 LED HD Display glossy

It is 'used, like new' but the seller looks like he can be trusted, however I have a few questions I hope you can help out with:

i) I can't work out the exact model, in the UK the Asus G74SX usually comes with a postfix for the model (e.g. G74SX-91013Z), this one doesn't, can anyone work out exactly what it is? Does it matter?

ii) I was unsure as to whether to go for a desktop or 'gamer' laptop, ultimately I think I will need the mobility. Do people think this is up to the job? I know it is specifically advertised as a gaming rig, but will it be able to play games such as Skyrim/Fallout3 on High/Ultra settings? Also, what are the chances of it still being good enough for new games in 1/2/3 years?

iii) To me, the stats on this look pretty awesome (16GB RAM!) but I am not that savvy, does anyone see any problems, even minor issues, with this laptop? Or do you think I can get a better deal somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

Burd

Back