Google engineer develops Facebook Disconnect

Emil

Staff

Google engineer Brian Kennish has developed Facebook Disconnect, a Google Chrome extension that removes all Facebook Connect functionality and all traffic from third party sites to Facebook servers, in a single day. It all started with a message on his Twitter account (via DownloadSquad): "After more privacy bad news, I wrote a Chrome extension to stop Facebook from following you around the web."

The extension reportedly prevents data being sent back to Facebook across the one million sites that already use the Facebook Connect service. "Facebook is notified whenever you visit one of the more than one million sites on the web that use Facebook Connect and has a history of leaking personally identifiable information to third parties," the description of the extension explains. "Turn off the flow of your data to them! Facebook Disconnect blocks all traffic from third-party sites to Facebook servers, yet you’ll still be able to access Facebook itself."

Kennish claims he created the extension instead of deleting his Facebook account and was not asked to do so by either Google or Facebook. Of course, he's employed by Google, which is trying very hard to compete with Facebook, but denies it. We believe he wasn't ordered to create the extension, but somehow we doubt his current employer is annoyed with his initiative.

Permalink to story.

Sweet. Now if only someone could do this for all the other web browsers...

Dear Google,
Brian deserves a raise. I don't care how you do it, but I do mean a raise. No "creative" awards that corporations give when they want to commend an employee without spending much money.
Sincerely,
Someone who is using your browser more now

mattfrompa said:
Dear Google,
Brian deserves a raise. I don't care how you do it, but I do mean a raise. No "creative" awards that corporations give when they want to commend an employee without spending much money.
Sincerely,
Someone who is using your browser more now

I +1 this comment, and because of this one single fact am going home today and downling chrome.

Give this man a raise, like a whole friggin digit at least.

Re The contributor (presumably female) who wants to 'bare' Brian's children. I think that she means 'bear' Brian's children. If Brian already has children, I'm sure that they have no wish to be 'bare' especially as Winter approaches.

I wonder if he developed this during the 8 hours a week I heard developers get to do whatever they want at google.

Back