Google is converting some of its locations into vaccination clinics

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Google is joining the list of tech companies helping in the fight against Covid-19. The search giant will convert some of its facilities at various US locations into vaccine clinics and has promised to donate $150 million to promote vaccine education and access.

CEO Sundar Pichai writes that Google has partnered with health care provider One Medical and public health authorities to make everything from its buildings to parking lots to open spaces available for the vaccine efforts.

The first locations to offer the service will be Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area in California; Kirkland, Washington; and New York City, before expanding nationally. With 29 offices across the US, most of which are empty or nearly empty due to most staff working from home, there should be plenty of options for people to get vaccinated on Google grounds.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has deeply affected every community all over the world,” Pichai said. “It’s also inspired coordination between public and private sectors, and across international borders, on a remarkable scale. We can’t slow down now.”

In addition to opening up its grounds, Google is pledging financial aid. A massive $150 million will promote vaccine education and distribution via grants for the CDC Foundation, the World Health Organization, and other global non-profits. Additionally, $50 million is destined for public health agencies. The company has also “committed $5 million in grants to organizations addressing racial and geographic disparities in Covid-19 vaccinations.”

Google is also helping organizations speed up the delivery of vaccines through its Google Cloud service. Search and Maps, meanwhile, will highlight “authoritative information and local vaccination sites.”

Google is following Amazon in its pledge to assist with the vaccine rollout. Jeff Bezos’ firm wants to help Joe Biden reach his goal of vaccinating 100 million Americans in the first 100 days of his presidency. The company has partnered with a third-party occupational health care provider to administer the vaccines on its facilities.

Permalink to story.

Clear evidence now that our vaccines do not work against the some of the new variants of the virus, nice gesture Google but it’s pointless.

The world either has to lock down hard for 10-20 years. Or we go back to our lives and face the virus. It’s getting frustrating waiting for our leaders to get their heads around this one.

I have yet to see any verified reports of new variants being vaccine resistant. There are rumors that the newer variants spread faster and MAY be more deadly, but there are NO confirmations of either of these .... please provide us with your evidence and not another quote from an unknown source.

I have yet to see any verified reports of new variants being vaccine resistant. There are rumors that the newer variants spread faster and MAY be more deadly, but there are NO confirmations of either of these .... please provide us with your evidence and not another quote from an unknown source.
It is sky news and they do post a lot of guffaws but..

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news...ould-reduce-vaccine-efficacy-by-half-12195907

The U.K. government also mentioned this morning that due to vaccine resistant variants they could be forced to implement a mandatory quarantine for all arrivals in a hotel.

You better to back and re-read that ...... it is based entirely on assumptions ....

"In it, Mr Hancock tells those on the call: "There is evidence in the public domain, although we are not sure of this data so I wouldn't say this in public, but that the South African variant reduces by about 50% the vaccine efficacy."

The health secretary added: "We're testing that and we've got some of the South African variant in Porton Down, and we're testing it.

"We've got a clinical trial in South Africa to check that the AstraZeneca vaccine works."

Evidence in the public domain is HIGHLY suspicious, especially without verification or certification ..... and just released this morning ....

Were the company to release such a story that was fraudulent they would be risking the licenses, certifications not to mention their reputation and public trust.

The best part of MRNA vaccines is that they are easy to "tinker with"... so as the virus mutates, scientists can "tinker" with the vaccine to provide protection. This is much like how the flu shot works - the flu mutates, we get a new shot next year....

Will Covid ever leave us? Probably not... but if we keep vaccinating, it will become far less serious - and then we can get back to our lives...

Doing so BEFORE we have mass vaccination, however, has already proven to be worse than foolish. There are over 2 million dead already...

Cure the cold first.
Why?

The common cold is basically harmless - and isn't just one disease... a "cold" is merely symptoms of numerous viruses... there are numerous off-the-counter medications, or you can simply "suck it up" and wait a few days for it to go away on its own.

Here's the Mayo Clinic's site for more reading :)

You better to back and re-read that ...... it is based entirely on assumptions ....

"In it, Mr Hancock tells those on the call: "There is evidence in the public domain, although we are not sure of this data so I wouldn't say this in public, but that the South African variant reduces by about 50% the vaccine efficacy."

The health secretary added: "We're testing that and we've got some of the South African variant in Porton Down, and we're testing it.

"We've got a clinical trial in South Africa to check that the AstraZeneca vaccine works."

Evidence in the public domain is HIGHLY suspicious, especially without verification or certification ..... and just released this morning ....

Were the company to release such a story that was fraudulent they would be risking the licenses, certifications not to mention their reputation and public trust.
It’s not the first I’ve seen or heard of it. It makes sense. Coronaviruses do mutate and do so quickly. The vaccine was always going to be time limited.

No Global pandemic has ever been ended with a vaccine. They have all ended the same way - people got fed up of it and got on with their lives.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still going to have the jab. But I don’t have much faith in the vaccine getting rid of this virus. I think governments telling people that the vaccine will save them is just false hope.

Why?

The common cold is basically harmless - and isn't just one disease... a "cold" is merely symptoms of numerous viruses... there are numerous off-the-counter medications, or you can simply "suck it up" and wait a few days for it to go away on its own.

Here's the Mayo Clinic's site for more reading :)

Like I said, cure the cold first. As some would say, you can't understand what it means :p

Like I said, cure the cold first. As some would say, you can't understand what it means :p
Well... by your definition, we already HAVE a cure for the cold... it's called "wait 3 days"...

On the other hand, we have over 2 million dead from Covid - and "waiting 3 days" simply kills more people...

I understand you're being facetious... but perhaps you might want to do some thinking first?

Um... tell that to Polio, Measles, etc... pretty sure it was vaccinations that saved us from those...
They weren’t global pandemics. And the vaccines to fight them took years to develop.

The last global pandemic we had was Spanish flu. And historically there is a pandemic that reduces the worlds population every 70-100 years on average. However Covid is not the next one, it’s not even close to reducing the population. We are still overdue a population reducing event.

They weren’t global pandemics. And the vaccines to fight them took years to develop.

The last global pandemic we had was Spanish flu. And historically there is a pandemic that reduces the worlds population every 70-100 years on average. However Covid is not the next one, it’s not even close to reducing the population. We are still overdue a population reducing event.
They didn't BECOME pandemics.... because of vaccines :)

And Smallpox was a pretty bad pandemic.... thanks to vaccines, it's basically eradicated...

Just because they take lots of time to develop doesn't mean they don't save us - with the advances in modern technology, what used to take decades now takes months... we can STOP global pandemics from becoming population reducing events now!!

Covid won't become a population reducing disease - but only because the world is a far different place than it was 100 years ago. It COULD be even less serious - if we'd just be smart and stay at home for another few months....

Unfortunately, we have a lot of political leaders who've decided that votes are more important than public safety... so, despite the PHENOMENAL achievement of a vaccine in less than a year, we're still seeing over 2 million deaths - and will probably see at least another couple million.... almost all of which could have been avoided.

Yes, a few million deaths isn't "that much" when you look at a global population of 8 billion or so.... but tell that to those who are dead....

They didn't BECOME pandemics.... because of vaccines :)

And Smallpox was a pretty bad pandemic.... thanks to vaccines, it's basically eradicated...

Just because they take lots of time to develop doesn't mean they don't save us - with the advances in modern technology, what used to take decades now takes months... we can STOP global pandemics from becoming population reducing events now!!

Covid won't become a population reducing disease - but only because the world is a far different place than it was 100 years ago. It COULD be even less serious - if we'd just be smart and stay at home for another few months....

Unfortunately, we have a lot of political leaders who've decided that votes are more important than public safety... so, despite the PHENOMENAL achievement of a vaccine in less than a year, we're still seeing over 2 million deaths - and will probably see at least another couple million.... almost all of which could have been avoided.

Yes, a few million deaths isn't "that much" when you look at a global population of 8 billion or so.... but tell that to those who are dead....
You are mistaken. They simply would never have been a global pandemic like covid. They just don’t infect people fast enough. Vaccines prevent deaths from them but the vaccine didn’t prevent a global pandemic of smallpox for example. Smallpox was around for centuries before it was vaccinated against.

Covid is not even close to being as lethal as spanish flu. Just because 100 years have passed doesn’t mean we won’t get a lethal pandemic now. If Covid was more lethal it would be effective at reducing the worlds populations.

People keep saying if you follow the rules that the virus will go away. But there is no scientific basis for lockdowns. In fact the head of epidemiology at Oxford university and the WHO are just two scientific bodies who advise against lockdowns. I am complying but I’m not dumb enough to believe they are going to work. Some humans just can’t be locked down and the west is proof of this.

A few million deaths isn’t nothing. But then again TB kills a few million every year and I bet you never really cared much about that. It’s not a virus but a bacterial respiratory infection that spreads through breathing.

You are mistaken. They simply would never have been a global pandemic like covid. They just don’t infect people fast enough. Vaccines prevent deaths from them but the vaccine didn’t prevent a global pandemic of smallpox for example. Smallpox was around for centuries before it was vaccinated against.

Covid is not even close to being as lethal as spanish flu. Just because 100 years have passed doesn’t mean we won’t get a lethal pandemic now. If Covid was more lethal it would be effective at reducing the worlds populations.

People keep saying if you follow the rules that the virus will go away. But there is no scientific basis for lockdowns. In fact the head of epidemiology at Oxford university and the WHO are just two scientific bodies who advise against lockdowns. I am complying but I’m not dumb enough to believe they are going to work. Some humans just can’t be locked down and the west is proof of this.

A few million deaths isn’t nothing. But then again TB kills a few million every year and I bet you never really cared much about that. It’s not a virus but a bacterial respiratory infection that spreads through breathing.
First of all, please provide the reports from WHO and Oxford that advise against lockdowns - because that simply isn't true...

Second, Smallpox started long before we had advanced technology - had we been able to create a vaccine within a year of it starting, it would never have been a population reducing event.

Thirdly, Covid is FAR more dangerous than the Spanish Flu!! The reason so many people died ONE HUNDRED years ago is simply that modern medicine wasn't nearly as advanced!

First of all, please provide the reports from WHO and Oxford that advise against lockdowns - because that simply isn't true...

Second, Smallpox started long before we had advanced technology - had we been able to create a vaccine within a year of it starting, it would never have been a population reducing event.

Thirdly, Covid is FAR more dangerous than the Spanish Flu!! The reason so many people died ONE HUNDRED years ago is simply that modern medicine wasn't nearly as advanced!
You are quite desperately incorrect. Spanish flu is far more lethal than Covid. What modern medicine do you think people are using? There is no cure for covid.

I think it’s embarrassing now misinformed you are on this whole subject.

According to this Spanish flu killed 17-50 million in its first year at a time when there were far less people in the world.

It is flat out wrong to claim spanish flu is less lethal than covid. Covid isn’t that lethal, in fact children are more likely to die from regular flu than covid. Covid kills the elderly and it’s very difficult to stop it getting to them.

According to this Spanish flu killed 17-50 million in its first year at a time when there were far less people in the world.

It is flat out wrong to claim spanish flu is less lethal than covid. Covid isn’t that lethal, in fact children are more likely to die from regular flu than covid. Covid kills the elderly and it’s very difficult to stop it getting to them.

It killed tons of people during World War 1 - no one was locking down, no one was wearing masks - and doctors were still almost as likely to kill as heal patients..... yes, it killed WAY more people - but it didn't have to...

Nowadays, the Spanish Flu (which is still among us - there is no cure for it even now) kills people every year - but far less than Covid. It would kill even less if everyone got a Flu shot...

Let me be clear - the Flu IS serious!! But it's not as serious as Covid... this is just yet another reason for people to understand how serious Covid is.

It killed tons of people during World War 1 - no one was locking down, no one was wearing masks - and doctors were still almost as likely to kill as heal patients..... yes, it killed WAY more people - but it didn't have to...

Nowadays, the Spanish Flu (which is still among us - there is no cure for it even now) kills people every year - but far less than Covid. It would kill even less if everyone got a Flu shot...

Let me be clear - the Flu IS serious!! But it's not as serious as Covid... this is just yet another reason for people to understand how serious Covid is.
Covid is absolutely no where near as lethal as Spanish flu. To claim it is is just laughable. You have to remember that people are far older these days. The average age of the population is nearly 20 years higher than it was then. If covid was released in 1918, no one would even know it.

Viruses get less lethal over time. It actually makes evolutionary sense not to kill the hosts so quickly. Covid will follow the same course, be initially very lethal then getting less lethal. And lockdowns won’t affect it. I am complying because I don’t want to lose my job or get fined but that doesn’t mean I have any faith.

My company tests us all for covid twice a week and in the building I’m in more have had it than not and not one person has been admitted to hospital. It’s really not that lethal to healthy working people.

Covid is absolutely no where near as lethal as Spanish flu. To claim it is is just laughable. You have to remember that people are far older these days. The average age of the population is nearly 20 years higher than it was then. If covid was released in 1918, no one would even know it.

Viruses get less lethal over time. It actually makes evolutionary sense not to kill the hosts so quickly. Covid will follow the same course, be initially very lethal then getting less lethal. And lockdowns won’t affect it. I am complying because I don’t want to lose my job or get fined but that doesn’t mean I have any faith.

My company tests us all for covid twice a week and in the building I’m in more have had it than not and not one person has been admitted to hospital. It’s really not that lethal to healthy working people.
The flu is also not that lethal to healthy people.... but it IS lethal to the elderly and the very young...

So is COVID...

And yes, viruses mutate all the time - but the fatality rates tend to stay about the same. Far more people, percentage-wise, were infected with Spanish flu - and again, medical technology was not nearly as effective then.

TB still kills many people - which kind of proves my point as well... we actually have a cure for it!! But it has mutated over time to become resistant to some of those cures... it’s not a virus though, it’s a bacterial infection - related to pneumonia - both of which are quite serious - but usually don’t kill healthy young people....

We have vaccines for pneumonia - alas, many people can’t or won’t take it....

Something else to consider:

The only diseases you can actually eradicate are ones which are not transmissible to other species. If it's human-only, then you can vaccinate it to nothing with a concerted effort: like smallpox (not there yet with polio, but hopefully soon), but covid-19 can hang out in cats, minks, and I assume bats as that's where it came from. Maybe other animals, too. It will not be going anywhere.

Back