Google launches store for third-party Web apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Google has launched a new online store where third-party developers can sell Web apps to Google Apps users. The Google Apps Marketplace offers Web applications that can be integrated into Google Calendar, Google Docs, Gmail, and other services available in the search company's cloud-based productivity suite.

The new store provides developers access to 25 million untapped Google Apps users, which includes some 2 million businesses. The Web apps can be installed in just a few clicks, and function just like native features. To ensure a seamless experience, the apps only require a single sign-on facilitated by OpenID, rather than dealing with separate credentials for each.

Google is charging developers $100 to add an application and then takes a 20% cut of revenue. More than 50 companies are already selling apps, with software including Appirio's Professional Services Connect, Atlassian's JIRA Studio, Intuit Online Payroll, Manymoon project management, Zoho's suite of productivity and collaboration programs, and many others.

Permalink to story.

the people at google mean business and nothing else! google is the best!
and with this move i think they are directly competing with the apple app store! and thus trying to increase the sales of their android phones! but people also get benefited since they get a variety of apps! YIPPE! wait for the coolest APPS!

Google is diversifying once again, they are a company that will be around for 200 years because they simply continue to evolve!

Apps are just spreading into everywhere. Apple is big on them, Facebook is all about Apps. Google will end up being as big as Microsoft. I wonder if they were ever going to merge. I think Microsoft tried to buy them but not sure if the deal went through, maybe not.

nayelir said:
Apps are just spreading into everywhere. Apple is big on them, Facebook is all about Apps. Google will end up being as big as Microsoft. I wonder if they were ever going to merge. I think Microsoft tried to buy them but not sure if the deal went through, maybe not.
heh... Google will probably bypass M$ sooner or later and I doubt they're gonna merge what would happen to bing? what would happen to Google? "Search" pretty sure M$ would want to change/add some stuff but no I can't even think about that plus Microsoft is in sooo much trouble right now. I highly doubt that, Google wanted to buy out Yahoo at one time though don't remember that date but I know it was a while back 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back