Google, Mattel team up to reimagine the View-Master

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google mattel view-master virtual reality vr vr headset

Readers of a certain age will no doubt remember the View-Master, the special-format viewing device that accepted cardboard reels with stereoscopic 3D images on film. They first debuted in 1939 but remained popular – especially among children – up until the past decade or two.

The toy was destined to fade away but then Google came knocking.

The search giant struck up a partnership with toy maker Mattel to create a brand new version of the View-Master for the virtual reality era. The new device will use Google’s Cardboard VR platform so you’ll need an Android-based smartphone to pair with it. Support for the iPhone is reportedly coming at a later date, we’re told.

Kids of all ages (adults included) will be treated to 360-degree tours of far-away destinations (think Google Maps Street View-style interactivity), fly-bys of famous cities and landmarks and more through the use of experience reels.

Resurrecting an old toy may seem like a silly idea to some but the device has a proven track record of success. Mattel said it has sold more than 100 million units and over 1.5 billion reels over its lifetime. And with a vast back catalog of View-Master imagery dating back to 1939, there should be no shortage of material to recycle for today’s youth.

This modern View-Master will go on sale this fall priced at $29.99 (you’ll need to supply your own smartphone, obviously). A single sample reel comes with the kit but if you want more, they’ll be sold in packs of four for $14.99.

Permalink to story.

This looks awesome, I loved my View-Master when I was a kid and this idea seems like a great update. If I had young kids I would definitely get this, now if they allow you to make your own reels I would get this for myself and make my own 3D views :)

"Back to the Future IV"
This looks awesome, I loved my View-Master when I was a kid and this idea seems like a great update. If I had young kids I would definitely get this, now if they allow you to make your own reels I would get this for myself and make my own 3D views

300px-Stereo_Realist.jpg

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_Realist

A Google search using, "35 mm Stereo cameras", returns a prodigious quantity of results on the topic, concurrent with the lifespan of the original "View-Master" system. Perhaps a digital solution could be around the corner.
It has to be said though, the photographers working for View Master, went to the four corners of the earth, to bring back most of those spectacular, "you are there", slides.

Heck, now even Kodachrome has been discontinued....:(.

Last edited:
"Back to the Future IV"

300px-Stereo_Realist.jpg

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_Realist

A Google search using, "35 mm Stereo cameras", returns a prodigious quantity of results on the topic, concurrent with the lifespan of the original "View-Master" system. Perhaps a digital solution could be around the corner.
It has to be said though, the photographers working for View Master, went to the four corners of the earth, to bring back most of those spectacular, "you are there", slides.

Heck, now even Kodachrome has been discontinued....:(.
Well damn, learn something new everyday.

Back