Google News for mobile starts including local news

Emil

Staff

Google has announced a new feature for Google News: "News near you." It does exactly what you would expect: start paying attention to the news relevant to the city you're in and surrounding areas.

Unfortunately, the feature seems to be limited to the US English edition of the service. Furthermore, it only works on Android smartphones and the iPhone. To use the feature, head to Google News on your mobile phone and you will automatically be redirect to the mobile version of the website.

Once there, a pop-up will ask you if you want to share your location. If you say yes, news relevant to your location will appear in a new section called "News near you" which will be added at the bottom of the homepage. You can reorganize the sections later via the personalization page.

Finding local news on your smartphone can be potentially much more useful than local news on a computer. On the other hand, local news can sometimes also be less important than the big picture. Thankfully, Google lets you turn this feature off at any time either by hiding the "News near you" section in your personalization settings or by adjusting your mobile browser settings to disable location tracking.

Location-based news first became available as part of Google News in 2008, and today there's a local section for hundreds of cities, territories, and countries in the world. Google leverages thousands of sources for local news by analyzing every word in every story to understand what location the news is about and where the source is located.

Permalink to story.

I wish there was a way to stop including idtiots' blogs... They're not news and nothing pisses me off more, and yes I know I can type -blog, but not on my mobile news and weather app (nexus one).

Back