Google offers three months of free streaming music to celebrate Chromecast anniversary

Shawn Knight

Staff member

chromecasts tvs google roku streaming google play music all access chromecast streaming music streaming stick

Today marks the one year anniversary of Chromecast, Google's uber affordable streaming dongle that allows you to push content from your phone, tablet or notebook to your television. It was unveiled during a media event alongside the second generation Nexus 7 tablet and Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with a jaw-dropping $35 price tag.

To celebrate the occasion, Google has released some updated usage stats as well as a sweet offer for existing Chromecast owners.

Since its launch, Chromecast users have cast media more than 400 million times. Google has also added hundreds of apps and a mirroring feature for Android devices over the year. We still don't know exactly how many dongles Google has sold but given its low price, the fact that initial batches sold out quickly and its availability in more than 30,000 stores across 20 countries, it's probably a pretty big number.

What's more, Google is offering all Chromecast owners a 90-day free trial of its premium music screaming service, Google Play Music All Access. The service launched at last year's I/O conference and is one of several offerings consumers can choose from in the crowded streaming music space.

Chromecast has spawned a couple of copycats like the Roku Streaming Stick although none have been able to match Google's $35 price point.

Have you tried Chromecast yet? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Let us know in the comments below!

Permalink to story.

I always hate when something is "free" yet you have to put in a credit card just so that they can charge you if you go over... why not just give us a trial that expires...

I always hate when something is "free" yet you have to put in a credit card just so that they can charge you if you go over... why not just give us a trial that expires...

There are some pretty good fake CC info providers out there for just these kinds of problems. Hunt around.

From the article:
"What's more, Google is offering all Chromecast owners a 90-day free trial of its premium music screaming service, Google Play Music All Access. The service launched at last year's I/O conference and is one of several offerings consumers can choose from in the crowded streaming music space."

Given the justifiable angst over the need for credit cards to take advantage of a "free service", perhaps we've uncovered the reason that Google Play Music All Access is identified as a "Music Screaming Service."

It's not available in my country yet but even when it becomes available it still won't interest me, I have no need for it.

Is it known if the 90 trial can be added to an existing account? It would be nice to go three months without being charge for the service. I don't want to cancel my service and use the 90 trial, because I'm only being charge $8 a month for the service, since I signed up during the promotional period.

Back