Google Photos is ending free unlimited storage on June 2021

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: From June 1, 2021, any new photos and videos uploaded will count towards a user’s 15GB of free storage that comes with every Google account (or towards the additional storage a user has purchased as a Google One member). Google account storage is shared across Photos, Gmail and Drive.

Google more than five years ago launched Google Photos as a free, unlimited repository for your photos and videos, and end users have been taking advantage of the service. Today, more than four trillion photos are stored in Google Photos, with users adding an incredible 28 billion new images and videos every single week.

Given the high utilization and to keep pace with the growing demand, it’s no surprise to learn that Google is making some changes to its unlimited high quality storage policy.

Worth highlighting is the fact that photos and videos uploaded in high quality before June 1, 2021, will not count against the 15GB allotment. All images and videos uploaded to that point will be exempt from the storage limit.

And even in six months when the change goes into effect, Google notes that roughly 80 percent of Google Photos users should still be able to store an additional three years’ worth of memories with the 15GB allotment.

Google also restated its commitment to not use information derived from Google Photos for advertising purposes.

Image credit: Primakov

Permalink to story.

Good riddance. I replaced it as soon as I saw it, years ago. Worst image browser and manipulating software out of them (almost) all. My next phone will be Samsung, just because of their Gallery, and some other stuff.

Incredible that they cite "storage costs" as the reason despite storage being cheaper than ever PLUS they train their AI/Machine Learning algorithms with your photos.

Never really had any issue with them but since I only have 1.5G stored, I'm a long way from running out of the free storage.

This parallels any other addiction schema. First you get someone hooked with the first doses being at little or no cost. Then, as necessity takes hold, the price goes up.

With 2 TB hard drives now available for about $55.00, (less if you're willing to risk a refurb), I can't fathom why anyone would take the time, or consume the bandwidth, to upload a bunch of what are probably a bunch of crappy selfies to begin with.

(Much less trust these fools at Google with valuable family memories, attempted photo art, or even a few good sunsets).

Meh. This really only affects those who use the "high" quality option. Those of us that use the "original" quality have been under this limit for years. Even at such high quality, 15GB goes a LONG way.
Good riddance. I replaced it as soon as I saw it, years ago. Worst image browser and manipulating software out of them (almost) all. My next phone will be Samsung, just because of their Gallery, and some other stuff.
Samsung's options are arguably worse in the UI department. The only thing they get right is the ease of moving a folder full of photos from one app to another.

As far as manipulating....dude, outside of adding emojis or other high school tier garbage, you should be using a proper piece of software for any serious photo manipulation, and none of that runs on phones.

They have analyzed your photos, added keywords to your secret global record, and now they don't need those archaic, already-processed photos anymore. But they will gladly accept your new photos. They wanna know how you and your friends look like today, not 10 years ago.

Meh. This really only affects those who use the "high" quality option. Those of us that use the "original" quality have been under this limit for years. Even at such high quality, 15GB goes a LONG way.

Samsung's options are arguably worse in the UI department. The only thing they get right is the ease of moving a folder full of photos from one app to another.

As far as manipulating....dude, outside of adding emojis or other high school tier garbage, you should be using a proper piece of software for any serious photo manipulation, and none of that runs on phones.

I am buying <300 eur phones, so Samsung A51 is an excellent device. Yes, I know it's exynos and not snapdragon in EU. I have never ever played a game on the phone, so it's irrelevant to me.
Samsung gallery allows me to:
resize photos (google gallery can't do this)
draw on photos, to, say, circle something (google gallery can't do this)
apply dozens of filters (google gallery can't do this as good, it has a few filters, but you need 3rd party app for good ones). I am not a child, I do posts for social media sites, sometimes phone is enough for that garbage, not the one without Samsung gallery or a bunch of 3rd party apps. So, I make money off of this stuff. The rest, you have that on every phone. And as for "professional" apps on a phone - don't make me laugh. :)

edit: I misread your post on serious apps, I see that I made a mistake in last sentance where I assumed you meant for the "phone". My bad. Glanced over that part.

Back