Google Pixel devices will be able to auto-transcribe screened calls by 2019

Polycount

Staff

One of the most exciting features that came with the recently-launched Pixel 3 is the device's ability to automatically screen calls. The feature enables Google Assistant to automatically detect spam calls, and give users the opportunity to screen, block, and report them as spam instead of just ignoring them.

As you can imagine, this feature has been pretty well-received so far. In a world where constant robocalls are the norm for just about anybody with a phone, any features that help to mitigate the issue are always welcome. Fortunately, the function is set to get even better later this year.

Thanks to the power of Google Assistant, screened calls will soon be auto-transcribed by the AI. This means that, in theory, users will be able to check their call log and see exactly what was said in a suspected spam call. Google Assistant will inform the caller that you're using a call-screening service and that you will get a copy of the "conversation" once it's finished.

There's probably a legal reason for this notice, but it also serves as a way to distinguish between robocalls and human calls while you check your transcriptions. A human might react to the message, whereas a robocaller obviously won't care.

If you are a Pixel owner and you'd like to know when you can get your hands on Google's upcoming transcription function, we'll have to disappoint you. Unless you're beta testing the Google Phone app (testers get the feature early), all we know is that it'll arrive before the start of 2019.

On the bright side, the basic call screening tool is rolling out to all regular Pixel and Pixel 2 users now, meaning it's no longer a Pixel 3-exclusive feature.

Permalink to story.

I'm not sure from this article how that is different from what iPhone has been doing for a few years. When I get a voice message, it is auto transcribed, by "transcription Beta". I'd say that might be because I am in the Public Beta program, but my wife has it as well and she is not Public Beta.

That being said, it works great. As I never answer a call from an unknown caller, it transcribes the few Robo calls and telemarketers that actually do leave messages, and accuracy is amazing, albeit not perfect. I used to research and block calls via Google search, but I found AT&T Call Protect is like crowd sourcing the research. And it auto blocks calls.

So, hooray, for Google Pixel phones? This is already here and working great.

Now if they could just enact the ideal scheme circulating on the internet, of charging the robocallers $5 for every call you receive, we'd be in business. If you haven't heard of it it is simple. Every entity is required to be bonded to have access to the network, If you receive a call, instead of blocking it, you post it to a "Where is my $5?" account. If the call is deemed a robocall, the perpetrator is charged $7.50, the administrator gets $2.50 and ou get $5.00. Bing bang, the robocallers are soon out of business and you receive compensation for your inconvenience, Genius.

I'm not sure from this article how that is different from what iPhone has been doing for a few years. When I get a voice message, it is auto transcribed, by "transcription Beta". I'd say that might be because I am in the Public Beta program, but my wife has it as well and she is not Public Beta.

That being said, it works great. As I never answer a call from an unknown caller, it transcribes the few Robo calls and telemarketers that actually do leave messages, and accuracy is amazing, albeit not perfect. I used to research and block calls via Google search, but I found AT&T Call Protect is like crowd sourcing the research. And it auto blocks calls.

So, hooray, for Google Pixel phones? This is already here and working great.

Now if they could just enact the ideal scheme circulating on the internet, of charging the robocallers $5 for every call you receive, we'd be in business. If you haven't heard of it it is simple. Every entity is required to be bonded to have access to the network, If you receive a call, instead of blocking it, you post it to a "Where is my $5?" account. If the call is deemed a robocall, the perpetrator is charged $7.50, the administrator gets $2.50 and ou get $5.00. Bing bang, the robocallers are soon out of business and you receive compensation for your inconvenience, Genius.

The difference is quite stark:

This is not a voice message. This is real time call. You can interrupt it at anytime to speak to other caller. It just automatically kick in if it suspects robocall/telemarketer.

Google Assistant will also SPEAK to the other line. Like a receptionist. On Pixel 3 currently you can control the conversation through Assistant, what line they can say, or leave it on auto. What they advertised is that using this kind of tech, you can call and make booking at a restaurant via Google Assistant, meaning you don't personally call the restaurant. The software does. In creepy human voice. AI is taking over the world, Terminator is being produced.

Maybe more languages than just English in the future, like Huawei.

Unknown
anonymous
Private
Fake - need this option

Girl Friday feature has always been around for Windows computer called Phone Tray the author had a good idea to block telemarketing from the main phone line. I had used that for years on laptop with built-in caller ID and voice mail feature. I could create the same voice used in Cox Communications voice prompts where a male voice. Using AT&T true voice demo voice of true human voice. No one could get through unless they were on my good list and not the black list. Today no more landlines we have the phone I have to check with the author if he can make something for our cell phones to stop all these pest callers robo etc. There is no reason why calls block you got to your voice mail. Whoever thought up that idea didn't really thin outside the box.

So google is on track using google assistant to handle callers you have block. Talk to them but give you the option to tell those fake callers get off my phone!!!

So people will have to wait a whole month for this feature??? How will they survive for that long???

Back