Google: Pixel phones can accurately measure your heart rate and breathing by simply using...

mongeese

Staff
TL;DR: Starting next month, Google Pixel phones will be able to measure heart rates and respiratory rates with software running on the cameras. Although monitors for both aren’t hard to find (you can even make an estimate by hand), Google thinks that making accurate monitors simple and free will encourage users to take more measurements, which is good for long-term health.

Using the Google Fit app, you'll be able to measure your heart rate or your respiratory rate with just a few seconds of footage. Prop up the phone on a hard surface and stand in the selfie camera's frame so that an artificial intelligence can look for small movements of your chest and head to spot your breathing. Google says that it's accurate to within one breath per minute.

Heart rates are normally measured by special cameras that use a technique called physical photoplethysmography (PPG). Samsung Galaxy phones up to the S10 had one built-in. A PPG shines a light into your finger and looks at the reflection pattern to see the movement of blood.

Google's solution is the same in concept, minus the light source. It measures your heart rate by looking for slight changes in color in your finger, corresponding to the movement of blood, when your finger is gently pressed against the primary camera lens. (The lens will be smudged afterward, unfortunately.) Because this technique doesn't require specialized hardware, Google thinks that it could be rolled out to all Android devices in the future.

Heart rate measurements are accurate to within 2%, Google says, which is consistent with clinical-grade products. But for now, Google isn't advertising it as sufficient for medical applications, and they haven't sought FDA approval yet.

"Frankly, we haven't done enough testing and validation to say that it can definitely work for those use cases yet, but it's definitely something we're exploring," says Jack Po, a Google Health product manager.

Heart rate monitors are a staple of the wearable tech industry, and the continuous measurements they take while you're exercising or going about your day are both more convenient and more informative than those you could take with a Pixel phone. It's for this reason that Samsung dropped the PPG from the Galaxy S20 and later model phones. But at the end of the day, for people that own a Pixel phone and no wearables (including myself), it's a free feature, and that's pretty sweet.

Permalink to story.

And yet android auto constantly sets my music to random [which is not random and plays same songs over and over] in 2 years of driving to the same address 5 x a week it still hasn't figured out im going back to work instead of home on maps .No thanks would never shell out cash for this.

I had this on Galaxy S6 and I thought it was a cool feature but the accuracy of it depended on how much pressure I put on the sensor. My heart rate is like a rabbits tho.

Honestly, I think before ANY company makes a claim like this it needs to be tested and verified by independent sources as well as the one of the Governmental bodies like NIOSH. While they cannot or should not "certify or approve" the use, they can certainly verify the accuracy of the claim, otherwise Apple should be held fully liable for any injuries or deaths due to incorrect readings ...... and NOT allow them to limit liability in that GD .009" type disclaimers they issue!

Google will then sell this tech to law enforcement as a lie detector and they won’t need your consent to use it...

They are going to harvest even more data. So expect ads for bunch of over the counter drugs for your:
blood pressure
Hearth
Anxiety
nerves
vitamins without which you will die in a minute and so on...
Also, it's a Pixel, it's basic trash.

Back