Google previews its upcoming Chrome OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Google offered a preview of its upcoming Chrome OS during an event today. Stressing its target audience, Google said it is building Chrome OS with web users in mind, and that it probably isn't going to be a replacement for Windows, OS X or Linux desktops. Instead, the search giant is trying to form a new niche.

The unique aspect of Chrome OS is that it will be completely executed inside the Chrome browser. For example, things like applications, configuration, and file management are all contained within tabs on the Chrome interface.

One key characteristic of Chrome is that actual data storage and programs themselves are all stored and run online -- local machine storage is only used to speed up those processes. You can liken Chrome OS to a thin client of sorts, though the application is clearly different.

Chrome OS is also fully open source, and will run on a wider variety of hardware than standard x86-based PCs. However, it is specifically tailored to the hardware Google intends to support, meaning you may have to seek out "Chrome OS approved" hardware. The demo, which you can watch here, was done with an Eee PC. That being the case, I have a feeling Google will push to make Chrome OS available on a very wide variety of mobile devices.

Google hasn't given any timetables or specific release dates, only assuring people that development is underway.

Permalink to story.

wow, i wonder how start-up and shut-downs are, other then those unknows it looks like a really amazing netbook OS, simple yet stylish in design. For some reason it reminds me of a Mac in a browser. I trust google more than both Windows and Mac, lets see how this finishes up.

I expected way much more, much much more than just a google chrome explorer with cloud-like system and bar tabbing than just tabs.

I feel this somewhat like Mac with iPhones did, knowing everything you did from your iPhone. I'm starting to hate google!

Still can't get over the fact that all of the data/programs would be stored online. I assume you would have to pay extra for online storage? Even if not, I just personally prefer having direct control over my data and programs.

I understand that this is not a replacing for the current major OS players. This is really just something different. But I don't think I'll be included in their target audience.

Sounds dissapointing already with the online storage stuff. What is Google trying to do? Try to make your private information searchable too? Scary stuff.

This will be very good for smart phones and netbooks but i don't see anyone looking beyond that. It also needs a more features and i hope that hardware support (aka drivers) won't disappoint like it did with vista. Also what about games?

This will be very good for smart phones and netbooks but i don't see anyone looking beyond that. It also needs a more features and i hope that hardware support (aka drivers) won't disappoint like it did with vista. Also what about games?

If you really think that will work on a 2, maybe 3" smartphone screen you really didn't see the preview video.

I think if they can also make it optional to save online and instead save data straight to your netbook, that would be better.

Remember folks... Chrome is an open "OS". Vendors will be free to customize it as they like, including where data is stored. There will be alot of innovation around Chrome OS.

I was hoping the Chrome OS would have been a viable option against Windows OS. With many older computers becoming unable to run Windows 7 because of it's RAM limitations, You're gonna see a lot of them in the landfills as unviable machines. Linux for the masses is still not user friendly and with Chrome being a Linux-based OS a major player could have been seen as a User-Friendly Linux based OS.

I would love to replace the many "Hacked" versions of Windows XP Pro that have come to me for repair with Chrome OS and was looking forward to seeing this OS come out, now I'm a bit disappointed at what it is being touted to be.

Hi folks. I have a question. I admit I didn't watch the vid yet but it just occurred to me...what about anitivirus protection? I've read a bit about chrome but I don't recall seeing how the antivirus would work. I've ran the online scans before but there'd have to be a bit more than that to make chrome computers secure. Saying that, I'm definitely one who likes the separation of the net and "my stuff" but I wouldn't mind a netbook with chrome on it, solely for browsing away from home; for everything else, I'll keep my big ol' laptop with vista :).

Hmmmm just watched the vid, now I have to ask...what about IM such as msn and yahoo? If you can't download them to your machine, how do you access them? I've used their respective webmessenger programs but those are no where near as good, so that can't be the answer.

its a nice concept,utilizing cloud computing power. it is good for the weakest of computers.

Google said it is building Chrome OS with web users in mind,

this is the one thing that i'm really looking forward to. I have a PC on my network that my parents use that is extremely outdated. My father constantly complains about how slow it is. Despite me doing a full format and reinstall of the OS, the system still is a little slugglish. It takes eons to first load up firefox. I'm not sure why. Maybe firefox is just a little bloaty? The system is a P4 2.5ghz with only a measly 256mb of ram. I'm hoping Chrome OS will be a little slender and leaner then XP in the hopes of speeding things up on the aging pc.

Aolish said:
Google said it is building Chrome OS with web users in mind,

this is the one thing that i'm really looking forward to. I have a PC on my network that my parents use that is extremely outdated. My father constantly complains about how slow it is. Despite me doing a full format and reinstall of the OS, the system still is a little slugglish. It takes eons to first load up firefox. I'm not sure why. Maybe firefox is just a little bloaty? The system is a P4 2.5ghz with only a measly 256mb of ram. I'm hoping Chrome OS will be a little slender and leaner then XP in the hopes of speeding things up on the aging pc.

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic on a friend's Sempron 2800+ a few days back, it only has 512 MB Ram, runs fantastic. I can have Firefox going with video, skype running, and a word processor going, and yeah, it works just great. Firefox loads in about 2 seconds or so, and the computer starts up and shuts down fast too (shutdown is like 5 seconds). If your parents don't mind getting into ubuntu, it's worth a shot, especially if you are going to reformat in the future anyway.

I thought it was released already, I guess what I saw was leaked releases of the OS...
I wonder though if I'll be able to run this from a jump-drive! that'll be perfect!

wow... I was really waiting for Google chrome OS to come out. Can't wait to try. I am very eager to try this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back