Google removes 'View Image' button from image searches following Getty Images settlement

Polycount

If you tend to take full advantage of Google's image search functionality, you may be in for a bit of bad news. According to Google, the "View Image" link in Google Images has been removed following a recent legal settlement between Google and Getty Images.

For the unaware, Google's View Image button used to allow users to view a given image without needing to actually visit the website it was being hosted on. This feature was beneficial to virtually everyone but it was particularly handy for those with tighter data caps who prefer not to load entire websites to view a single image.

In addition to the View Image button's removal, it seems the resolution search button has also disappeared. Previously, it was possible to click on a given image's resolution text to be whisked away to another search which listed all occurrences of that image throughout Google, at different resolutions.

Since announcing these changes yesterday, Google has elaborated on their reasoning behind the move. "Ultimately, Google Images is a way for people to discover information in cases where browsing images is a better experience than text," the company said. "Having a single button that takes people to actionable information about the image is good for users, web publishers and copyright holders."

The company also confirmed their decision was due at least in part to their previously mentioned settlement with Getty Images.

Regardless of their intentions, many users are upset with Google's latest decision.

Fortunately, some of these users have already taken action by creating an open-source extension which adds the View Image button back in. The extension, appropriately dubbed "Make Google Image Search Great Again," is available to both Firefox and Google Chrome users.

If you want the source code itself, simply visit the extension's GitHub page. It is worth noting that the extension does not seem to re-add the resolution search functionality.

If you'd prefer not to use an extension to re-add View Image functionality, you aren't entirely without recourse. As Ars Technica notes, Bing, DuckDuckGo and other search engines still offer similar functionality if you're willing to ditch Google.

Permalink to story.

Google, 2017: We're training AI to refine image search.

Google, 2018: Make Bing Great Again.

Just like the time they removed backspace as the "back" shortcut key. Now I'm using an extension that adds that functionality back.

Google has too much control over our lives.. I wish there was more support Windows 10 cell phones.. I just can't stand how we have to be so limited by Android coding.. Can't even take a screen dump they make it so hard to do.

Yeah, no. When you do that, most of the time what you open in the new tab is the scaled down, compressed preview that google images shows, not the original image. If you're gonna do the stupid "fly away" thing, at least make sure you're not wrong.
I think you missed a bit of the point. Google now takes you to the page containing the image. THEN, right click & open image in new tab, and "fly away".

Not every poster is inclined to elaborate to that extent, and all Google did, was remove THEIR direct path to image, which was stated plainly in the article. Consequently, a right click on an image search result, opens the image's home page.

So, why not wait at least until you have a visible post count, before you put on the condescending, authoritarian, airs?

Last edited:
Most of the people doesn't respect copyright. When they get in trouble they are aware of problem and scared.

If you are building websites, graphic products, BUY image or use free CC0 images. Respect others. Educate your self before you get in trouble.

Google has too much control over our lives.. I wish there was more support Windows 10 cell phones.. I just can't stand how we have to be so limited by Android coding.. Can't even take a screen dump they make it so hard to do.
Google is there for convenience, it has no control over your life more than you've given it. Also, there is no OS for smartphones more flexible than Android so I firmly disagree with that comment. Theres a crap ton of apps in the play store to take screenshots, most phones have a method built in, and most launchers also have a method built in. My phone has 2 methods, both my OnePlus itself can do it and my Nova launcher can do it. Just a matter of learning how it works like anything else.

It's like none of you even have middle-mouse buttons.
You don't mean the funny little wheel, do you? :confused: Like what the heck is that for?

On a more somber note,those of us who have never had such a wondrous thing as a "middle mouse button", lack the innate emotional self empathy to miss not having one, or be jealous of those who do. :D

Last edited:
Back