Tech Stocking Stuffers: 18 awesome gifts under $50

Google reportedly working on a mid-range Nexus phone that'd sell for under $100

By Shawn Knight ยท 10 replies
Apr 18, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Google's Nexus 5 already offers arguably the best bang for your buck but even still, $350 for a new smartphone is a lot of money for some. To that end, the search giant is reportedly preparing a mid-range device that...

Read more

2. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Evangelist Posts: 787   +368

An unlocked nexus for less then $100? Talk about something being an instant home run hitter.

3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar Elite Techno Geek Posts: 6,515   +974

A stock Android phone for <$100, heck yeah!

That is probably the cost on contract. Off-contract pricing will probably be similar to that of the Moto G.

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,957   +1,289

but it references the off contract price of the current nexus O.o

5. You can get the Moto G for $99 (no contract/prepaid) although it's a locked Verizon version of it with 8GB I believe.

6. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Evangelist Posts: 787   +368

[/quote]
    That is probably the cost on contract. Off-contract pricing will probably be similar to that of the Moto G.[/quote]

I don't know about that.. The moto G up here in Canada is $0 and NO contract. Starting device balance is only $150... So if you leave the plan, you simply pay whats left owing.. Example: sign-up on a $29/month plan, get the Moto G for $0, cancel after a month, payout on the MOTO G will be $147 plus tax.

So maybe with nexus, it actually does mean less then $100 actual real cost.

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 8,647   +3,270

I certainly hope not, I hope that's the cash price, if it is I'll make a point of looking deeper into it. It will make a nice backup/gift.

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 8,647   +3,270

That is probably the cost on contract. Off-contract pricing will probably be similar to that of the Moto G.[/quote]

I don't know about that.. The moto G up here in Canada is $0 and NO contract. Starting device balance is only $150... So if you leave the plan, you simply pay whats left owing.. Example: sign-up on a $29/month plan, get the Moto G for $0, cancel after a month, payout on the MOTO G will be $147 plus tax.

So maybe with nexus, it actually does mean less then $100 actual real cost.[/quote]
    Yeah. This has got me excited but I'll have to play the wait & see game.

9. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,273   +779

This would be very good. We need more phones like this and Moto G.

10. So why did they sell of Motorola then?

11. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 647   +58

I think the lower costs of these phones is probably due to big companies like Google wanting to get you on board with them in a more complete way. They'll be able to gather more accurate data about you and make more money through advertisements, etc.