Google searches are being redirected

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know when this started, but when I do a google search in both IE and firefox, the result links get redirected. if you hover over the links, they all show the same link. i have to manually highlight the result url under the search result to be able to go to the page.. I tried downloading Blacklight to run a scan, but I keep getting a page load error. any ideas on how to fix this hijack? To get around it, I've just been booting into Ubuntu (i dual boot)

Part 1 - Get control & Get started
Part of the description mentions 'redirection'. In case of difficulty, attempt this method (follow link for 'How To')
  • Message # 1 - Effective against other non-plug and play exploits
  • Message #3 - link to 'fixit download' has demonstrated its effectiveness in many cases. Go to message # 3 'fixit download'

Part 2 - TDSS infections need next level
The TDSS exploit (among other non-plug and play driver exploits) is quite the rage. The temptation is to package a method for this. However, the result would be quite lengthy and possibly confusing, since it is not possible to anticipate contributing factors.

Supplement to guide. Successive scans used to uncover additional infections.
  • Update both MBAM & SAS. Rerun them both.

• This effort is complete when logs report NO infections/threats, or reporting something it can not clean.
    • Typically extra repeat scans are not needed
  • Install & run ComboFix. Instructions referenced below.
    • ComboFix is a very effective tool that scans / fixes hard to clean infections. Additionally, it includes diagnostic information.
    • Uninstall old copy of ComboFix - if used previously.

• Examine the last few lines in the log for ‘Completion time:’ ……. ‘machine was rebooted

• Restart the computer, if first run of ComboFix did not concluded with ‘reboot’.

• Repeat ComboFix.

• Restart the computer

• Scan with HJT.

• Posts logs. Report progress & what changes are observed. Include logs that found infections.

Supporting Informatin

Please see this for instructions:
Temporarily Disable Real Time Monitoring Programs:

• 1 Spybot S&D (Teatimer)
  • 2 Ad-Aware Ad-Watch
  • 3 Spywareguard
  • 4 Windows Defender
  • 5 TrojanHunter Guard
  • 6 Disable SpySweeper
  • 7 WinPatrol
  • 8 CounterSpy
  • 9 AVG Anti-Spyware (formerly ewido)
  • 10 Spyware Doctor
  • 11 Prevx
  • 12 ProcessGuard
  • 13 ZoneAlarm's OS Firewall
  • 14 Ad-Aware 2007 Service

fixed

I fixed this about 5 hours before reading your post. Thank you, though!

I saw on another forum about downloading MBAM from malwarebytes.org, but my computer wouldn't let me get to their site, so I used my sisters computer to download mbam, and install it to my portable hard drive. then I renamed the mbam.exe file to something.exe, and ran it from my personal hard drive. It caught 11 infected files. i got rid of the infected files, and closed MBAM, and immediately went to Google to test. When I hover over links now, I get the actual URL of the search! So Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware gets a big 5UP from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back