Google starts censoring torrent-related searches

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Google has quietly begun filtering terms related to filesharing from its Autocomplete and Instant search features, according to TorrentFreak. Among the many forbidden queries are "uTorrent", "BitTorrent", "RapidShare", "Megaupload", and seemingly any word combined with "torrent". To clarify again, these terms are blocked from Google's Autocomplete and Instant search services, but you can still perform a full search for "banned" words and receive proper results.

Naturally, the companies and services that have been removed from Google's instant searches are angry. "We respect Google's right to determine algorithms to deliver appropriate search results to user requests. That being said, our company's trademarked name is fairly unique, and we're pretty confident that anyone typing the first six or seven letters deserves the same easy access to results as with any other company search," said Simon Morris of BitTorrent Inc.

RapidShare also shared its sentiments. "We embrace that certain search suggestions will not put a wrong complexion on RapidShare anymore, but we are concerned that at the same time the legitimate interests of our users will also be affected," the service said. "RapidShare is one of the most popular websites worldwide. Every day hundreds of thousands of users rely on our services to pursue their perfectly legitimate interests…Google has obviously gone too far."

The change shouldn't significantly affect your daily browsing, but it shows that Google will serve the entertainment industry when pressured and it's only fair to question how far the company is willing to go. TorrentFreak also notes that the current blacklist appears somewhat random. Although uTorrent and Xunlei are excluded from results, BitComet and Vuze aren't. Likewise, other filesharing sites such as The Pirate Bay, 4shared, HotFile and MediaFire are still visible.

Permalink to story.

Won't affect me but I don't like the fact that they're doing this. What's to stop them from censoring other anything they don't agree with.

man...I woke up this morning thinking I was in America...apparently we're in China now, lol. But I guess it aint too bad (for now). At least we can still search for them.

As for Rapid Share, that one does surprise me. There is a lot of legitimate stuff that goes through Rapid Share. I did use RS for a while to distribute programs till I found out about drop.io, but then Facebook bought it out and shut it down (BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! BASTARDS!) so now i'm back to Rapid Share.

If its just for Autocomplete and Instant search then i really have no problem, would be better if you had that the option to filer it out though. Will be interested to see what they will try to filter next

actually i'm glad about this. it was kinda getting annoying having to keep putting in -torrent while searching for stuff on google. besides, all this will potentially do is filter out first time torrenters, maybe.

Actually there is a recent article on PC World 'Google Comes Under Fire for 'Secret' Relationship with NSA'. The Google spokeswoman is obviously compartmentalized and clueless to what the real decision makers in Google are doing. Both Google and NSA will deny this but won't produce any real evidence to anyone that would debunk this theory.

I suppose it's come to this. Some step must be taken to protect all the people that put in the work to create the music, movie, and software.

Gratz Google.. I will replace my phone.. browser... and Search engine for now on. FU google.

Gee, like you can't find a billion other torrent search sites on the web?
Heck, I've gotten to where I only use google as my LAST resort, when searching for something.

Cota said:
hmmmmmm i cant get to utorrent.com because i cant google it, DAM IT!
Really?

No, you can still google it, it just won't come up in auto-complete. That's something people need to realize. The search itself isn't filtered, it's just not showing up in auto-complete.

The corporate arguments and divergent philosophies about just how "neutral" the internet will be is going to become one big pissing match.

Content providers don't believe they should pay the ISP for the ability to provide said content on the ISP's wires because they already pay a fee for the bandwidth they use.

ISP's say they should be able to charge content providers for allowing them to provide content because it competes with their own and without them there would be no connection for them to provide content on.

ISP's that want to QOS traffic to their desires, as they see fit, while content providers and search engines argue that all traffic should be treated equally.

So, if a torrent site is a content provider is it fair that they're traffic is being treated differently by a search engine?

It wasn't when Comcast as an ISP tried to block it.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04/court-rejects-fcc-authority-over-internet

What torrent site is going to challenge Google on this? Probably none.

Give human beings enough time and they will destroy anything.

matrix86 said:
Cota said:
hmmmmmm i cant get to utorrent.com because i cant google it, DAM IT!
Really?

No, you can still google it, it just won't come up in auto-complete. That's something people need to realize. The search itself isn't filtered, it's just not showing up in auto-complete.

*Puts a big sign saying "SARCASM"* :p

Well no matter what i dont feel Google should be able to filter anything. Its ok to filter a torrent site but when you search up stuff like drugs and killing thats not filtered at all. Far as i am concerned google can kiss ***. I have been using a different search provider for the past year and thats just another reason i would never use google . FU Google

Back