Google Voice comes to iPhone, Palm WebOS devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Apple's decision to block Google Voice from its iPhone App Store caused quite a stir last summer. Besides an expected backlash from users, the move prompted the FCC to open an investigation on all involved parties -- Apple, Google, and AT&T. The latter was quick to distance itself from the controversy, insisting they had nothing to do with the block, while Apple claimed the app wasn't rejected, it just hadn't been approved yet.

Several months have gone by and the issue remains unresolved. However, today Google made good on its promise to bring its call routing and calling service to the iPhone "one way or the other" by unveiling a new web-based version that leverages HTML 5's functionality for quick access to Voice's most important features.

The company already had a version of the service available through mobile web browsers; albeit a pretty limited one. The new version is much more interactive, with the ability to listen to voice mails directly from within the browser and to dial phone numbers on an interactive on-screen keypad. You also get access to voicemail transcriptions, free SMS, and of course the ability to answer all of your phone numbers from a single handset. Unfortunately, the web app cannot access your device's contact list so you'll need to import them.

It should be noted that this version of Google Voice has also been optimized work with Palm's webOS devices, and will work with any other HTML5-compliant device, although the formatting at this point has been tailored to Apple and Palm's platforms. Simply go to m.google.com/voice to make cheaper calls from your device.

Permalink to story.

Google should release the software to jailbreak iphone user. The iphone is a great phone as long as you jailbreak it. Apple try to control everything and will lose in the long run. The only reason I jailbreak my iphone is to get the full power, I still buy all my apps from the apple store or Cydia, software developper should get the money for developping apps but Apple should wake up and stop preventing the user for using the full potential of there phone.

Iphone from Apple = suck
Iphone jailbreak = rock

With Google voice for voice calls and Ping! or text messages, I wonder how long it will be before mobile phone carriers start offering data-only plans?

And yeah, I agree with Guest that developers should get the rewards for making a good app - in fact this is a good reason to support the Cydia store instead of the Appl€ store because Appl€ take a massive chunk of the money people pay for the apps and add it to their ridiculous profit margins.

slh28 said:
And yeah, I agree with Guest that developers should get the rewards for making a good app - in fact this is a good reason to support the Cydia store instead of the Appl€ store because Appl€ take a massive chunk of the money people pay for the apps and add it to their ridiculous profit margins.

Your statement is self contradicting. What about the developers of itunes and the apple store? Apple spent a lot of time/money developing that. Don't you think they should get a cut for marketing and providing easy access to customers?

Not saying that they shouldn't allow use of Cydia, but just that Apple does need to make some revenue for all of the effort they have expended as well.

I don't even own an iPhone, but I do like to see Apple's totalitarian policies thwarted. So this put a smile on my face :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back