Google wants to do away with logins on the Internet

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Keeping track of multiple logins for various sites visited on the net can be a serious chore, especially if you have a different username / password at each destination. I’ve personally had to resort to physically writing down my credentials in order to keep track of them but that might not be the case in the future.

A recent blog post from Google software developer Tim Bray hints at the possibility of doing away with multiple logins. He mentions that logging in is annoying and slows you down – very true. Bray says his work at the search giant is currently centered on doing away with such hassles for two particular reasons.

The first is pretty obvious – logging into various websites takes time and results in being less productive. Less login time means more time to improve the overall experience.

The second specific reason, however, is a little more in-depth. Bray points out that when many people begin a new search for a product or service, they don’t immediate head to a search engine. Instead, they enter in the URL of a large retail chain, a bookstore or even Craigslist. These users don’t want to find products at a new merchant or enlist help from an unfamiliar company simply because they would be required to register a new account and create yet another set of login credentials.

It remains to be seen how Google plans to do away with logins from a logistics standpoint. Perhaps instead they could create some sort of universal login system but then, would that really be much better than the various password managers already available today?

Permalink to story.

How would they make this secure? Keeping the same log in id on my Techspot forum account as my bank doesn't seem to smart in my opinion.

One password to steal them all.

With touch screens or cameras, a fingerprint recognition or facial recognition system wouldn't be too difficult and the latter would be almost impossible to copy unless you have one of those mask generators from Mission Impossible. I think hacking an account is easier than getting ahold of one of those lol.

What ghasmanjr said - fingerprint device (which is on almost every keyboard now) or eye/face recognition.

But of course it would be problematic if you were traveling or on someone else's computer that didn't have those read devices.

Regardless, I think it's hella good idea. I'd LOVE to be able to do away with all the log-ins I engage with during the day.

Google won't let you password reset with a previous password, which is ridiculous. There are several petty accounts I care nothing about and like to use simple anagrams for, but if I have to reset I have to come up with some other thing. Especially if I have two-step verification, my weak passwords shouldn't be an issue, so let me use my old dumb passwords google! You are creating difficulties with logins.

I'm perfectly content keeping categories of passwords. separate passwords for bank accounts, forums/common websites, email accounts, and random stuff I don't care about. If you just find a good one (depending on its use) you can just change it a little as needed and never really forget passwords again.

Nah, just make a password scheme!!!

...something specific so you remember. Doing this has saved me lots of hassle.

Your scheme should consist of two parts, one constant for every password, and one specific to that website. A different password for every account is the most secure way to go.

The first part, consistent (or not), will be the part you should change every 6 months or so, or whenever you feel a password is out of date. The second part, well I explained already, specific to the site.

I also like ReederOnTheRun's idea, categories for each site.... this could be considered your 'site-specific' part of your password though.

Dont email yourself your own passwords.

Dont use your pets name and part of your birthday as your password. (anyone willing to comment if I nailed what YOU are currently using for your password?) lol

Good luck, and dont let Google take away your log in credentials. Just another thing getting taken away, and convincing people it's a good thing.

One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them.

Just a few thoughts...
I have the same 3 user names for all of my accounts (Depending on if the name is already taken for a specific website).

I have a set of 5 different passwords. No matter where I have an account, its going to be one of five different passwords. Some of them are phrases that I like, others have capitals and numbers to qualify for different password requirements. Again, no matter what, I use one of five passwords for my different accounts.

And if you cant remember your account name(s) and passwords, then perhaps you shouldn't be on the internet anymore. My parents have made multiple lists of passwords, and they always loose the piece of paper with them on. If they loose it, someone can easily break in.

Welcome to Google ULTRA login.

Step 1: Please deposit: A) A DNA sample, B) A sperm sample (males only please) and C) sample of last bowel movement in your DvD tray.

Step 2: Place right eye in retinal Identifier.

Step 3: Place hand on Fingerprint Identification reader

Step 4: Turn on microphone and sing the entire 17 minute version of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" for voice recognition.

Step 5: Retype the CAPTCHA letters you see - MKcnsK4az89GHnwqxXXndsZ7g94MnsidOWnwiTHOPPyAYouKNowME

===========================

Welcome to Gmail. You have one unread message.

It has come to our attention that you or your clone has illegally downloaded several Justin Beiber mp3s.....

What, is LastPass suddenly out of operation?

That was my first thought. I use LastPass and log into dozens of sites a day without issue, Just have the one (Rather complex) password which is written down. It even offers to generate new passwords for new sites.

Don't people like that solution ?

I just use KeePass. I wouldn't trust Google to manage all my passwords- they just want to know what I buy, where I buy it, and what I look at.

Microsoft already does this sort of thing with LiveID or wharever it is called now. You can log into Windows 8 with it and it will automatically log you into sites by passing a token rather than any actual credentials.

The only annoyance is that I often do testing on software as a number of users and you find that all sites follow the login to the last site you changed credentials on.

That aside, if they can force stong passwords it will work very well.

Google must have something similar for Android.

They just need a piece of software that will interact with Chrome to automatically fill in your passwords. You log into this software using a password and an authenticator (either physical or a smartphone app) They make you reauthenticate once a week/month or whatever.

The problem would be making it work with all the different types of webpage technologies login fields use.

Google's solution: acquire every single of the most active account-using sites on the internet.

Honestly, how long does it take to log in with a password????

The way they talk, it slices away hours from my workday. In reality, I probably lose two minutes, by the end of the day, from logging into websites.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take the old way any day, over some universal attempt to take over the world login to every website.

Back