Google wants to help find the Android smartphone that's right for you

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google phone android smartphone handset which phone

Finding the right smartphone can be a real chore. Assuming you’ve dismissed the iPhone and Microsoft’s OS, you’re still left with literally hundreds of options that all run Android. If you happen to find yourself in this dilemma, Google wants to help.

The search giant has launched a new phone selection tool called Which Phone. It’s a simple online tool that asks you a minimum of three questions to try and gauge which handset might be the best fit.

It starts with selecting at least one activity that you want to do with a new phone. Available options include taking photos, listening to music, being productive, gaming, browsing the web and talking, just to name a few. With your first selection, the tool will then ask how often you perform the selected task or how important it is to you.

Rinse and repeat a couple times and you’ll be presented with a selection of phones that Google believes are best suited to your needs.

While the tool may point some in the right direction, it’s hardly a personalized selection. As The Verge correctly highlights, the tool will more or less always present you with two flagship devices (and often a third) like the Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge, the LG G4 or the Nexus 6.

You can further refine the results to show cheaper handsets but the initial offerings will almost always be flagships. Users can also narrow down results based on carrier and size, an added bonus.

Permalink to story.

Its not good as it assumes you are in the USA - also does not give the option of dual SIM or Moto G or others

It appears *to me* that the recommendations are pretty inane.

I don't use my phone much and answered the tool appropriately - I really only use my phone for productivity, calls, and texting - all minimally (1-2x per day) and took the lowest ratings in the tool. I did not specify a carrier.

So what did Google recommend? Galaxy G6, LG G4 and Droid Turbo.

Sigh. I wonder what Google would have recommended if I was a power user of a mobile phone?

Considering that *I* find that my current Moto G (2014) is more than capable of providing all I need from a mobile, I feel the recommendations are (ahem) not particularly useful - for me.

I want a small phone that works well and has a decent resolution screen. I don't think any tool can help me.

I did as well. Unfortunately my options were budget to midrange Androids or the iPhone. Ultimately I went with the iPhone 6 (the 4.7 inch model), this is my first non Android phone in almost five years. While there are several things that I miss from Android, I'm really enjoying the smaller form factor.

Back