Google's Advanced Protection Program will start blocking third-party Android app installations

Polycount

Staff
In brief: One of the main benefits of owning an Android phone is the ability to easily install and access apps outside of the Google Play Store with relatively few restrictions. However, members of Google's Advanced Protection Program (APP) might not be able to continue this practice for long -- with only a few exceptions, APP participants will not be able to install third-party Android apps in the future.

They will only be able to download apps that were grabbed directly from the Google Play Store (or other official app stores), according to TechCrunch. This is a logical move on the surface -- third-party apps can pose a risk to those who don't know what they're doing, and APP users are generally going to care more about security and privacy than others.

However, APP participants are also likely to be pretty tech-savvy, and it's not that difficult to avoid downloading malware-ridden third-party apps if you know what to look for. As such, this move might be met with some resistance from those who like the APP's other protections -- such as support for physical security keys -- but also want the freedom to use their devices as they please.

In other related news, the APP will now enable Google Play Protect by default for all participants (and it can't be switched off). Google Play Protect offers advanced malware protection for Play Store apps, including those that have already been downloaded onto a user's device.

If you feel the security benefits the APP can bring are worth the trade-offs, or if you want to learn more about the Program as a whole, feel free to visit the official sign-up page right here.

Permalink to story.

And, no doubt, if you don't pay some kind of gratuity to Google, your product will be banned ..... I'll bet that will get the attention of a few folks down the road!

Google should do more about the infected apps that make it to the Play Store first.

As for installing third party apps, I like the option as much as the next guy, but a secure Play Store should be the priority. Second is fragmentation. THEN third party app support. These people are the minority, so I'm not sure why any of them would think they have a dog in this fight.

if you don’t have an Android 7.0+ phone or an iPhone with the free Google Smart Lock app, you will need to purchase two security keys in order to enroll. The price of security keys will vary depending on which model you select. While we recommend Google’s own Titan Security Key
Nevermind, google-fruit is trying to sell stuff..

No. You don't have to buy Google's key. There are others. It's only to make up for your Android 7+ device not having the built-in security. They say two keys, because one is for inadequate devices and the other is a backup if you get locked out of your account somehow. They recommend one backup key for 7+ devices as a lock out backup, but it's not required. And enrollment is opt-in.

No. You don't have to buy Google's key. There are others. It's only to make up for your Android 7+ device not having the built-in security. They say two keys, because one is for inadequate devices and the other is a backup if you get locked out of your account somehow. They recommend one backup key for 7+ devices as a lock out backup, but it's not required. And enrollment is opt-in.

You don't need to buy a key
IF - you have already purchased a key.

The Advanced Protection Program is a free service for Google accounts.​
If you don’t have an Android 7.0+ phone or an iPhone with the free Google Smart Lock app​
you will need to purchase two security keys
in order to enroll.​
The price of security keys will vary depending on which model you select.​
While we recommend Google’s own Titan Security Key
any keys that support the FIDO open standard are compatible.​
Click the "Get started" button to view our recommended keys.

BHL7FXM.jpg

You don't need to buy a key IF - you have already purchased a key.

The Advanced Protection Program is a free service for Google accounts.​
If you don’t have an Android 7.0+ phone or an iPhone with the free Google Smart Lock app​
you will need to purchase two security keys
in order to enroll.​
The price of security keys will vary depending on which model you select.​
While we recommend Google’s own Titan Security Key
any keys that support the FIDO open standard are compatible.​
Click the "Get started" button to view our recommended keys.

BHL7FXM.jpg
I enrolled. No key is required with built-in security in Android 7+ devices. It says so in your screenshot.

I've enrolled also, the key came with the retail fone.

I dint get nuffin free with my S-10.
Yea, I dont have a key and I'm good to go.
I assume if I don't need a single key with my phone, you would only need one for devices not running 7+. I didn't read too much into it, because it didn't apply to me. I could be wrong about the non 7+ device requirements.

Edit: You're right. You do need two keys for non 7+ devices to enrol. None required on 7+ devices with built-in security, but recommended for account recovery, if you log out or login on another device or computer.

Last edited:
Yea, I dont have a key and I'm good to go. I assume if I don't need a single key with my phone, you would only need one for devices not running 7+. I didn't read too much into it, because it didn't apply to me. I could be wrong about the non 7+ device requirements.

If the version is less than 7, forget it. Everyone else uses the fone key (it's factory installed on various brands). If you elect to use a hard lock 3rd party key, foolge requires two keys and they will eagerly sell a pair for $50.

Unlike Wired, which uses one YubiKey, way cooler than Googles Titan.

If the version is less than 7, forget it. Everyone else uses the fone key (it's factory installed on various brands). If you elect to use a hard lock 3rd party key, foolge requires two keys and they will eagerly sell a pair for $50.

Unlike Wired, which uses one YubiKey, way cooler than Googles Titan.
If fone key is what they call the built-in security Google detected on my phone then I got that. I might buy a physical key in the future, but for now I'll go without.

Dear Google,
No Thank You. Come up with a way to do things more securely while maintaining our rights to run our own software and flexibility of configurations.

Otherwise, a pair of big middle fingers for ya!

Back