Google's first smartwatch may be coming in 2022

Polycount

Staff
Something to look forward to: Google's hardware team has been expanding its reach steadily over the past several years. It's already jumped feet-first into the realms of earbuds, smart homes, phones, and even zippy notebooks, but its ambitions continue to grow. According to new reports, Google is working on its own smartwatch, with plans to launch the device as soon as next year, provided all goes well.

This is big news for Google fans. To date, Google has primarily focused on the software side of smartwatches, developing tech like Wear OS and allowing third-party watchmakers to build their hardware around it. Soon, though, Google may be competing with the very wearable makers it has supported for so many years, such as Samsung.

Regardless, the device has reportedly been codenamed "Rohan" internally, but that probably won't be its final moniker. It's more likely that it will ship with a name like "Pixel Watch" or "Pixel Wear" -- that's still speculation on our part, but it would fit much better with the previous naming conventions Google has employed to date.

As for the device's design, Business Insider's sources say the watch face will be round and perhaps even bezel-free. It's difficult to tell what the latter would look like in practice (or what implications it might have for the watch's durability), but the former is not exactly a surprise. Many smartwatches ship with round faces, though the Apple Watch is a notable exception.

Google aims to make a watch that is comfortable for at least "90% of the population," according to a design document seen by Business Insider. This is important to Google because it feels that "insufficient sizing excludes some users from wearable wristables entirely."

As someone with a large wrist, I wholeheartedly agree with Google there. I've tried to wear older Fitbit models in the past, but they were always a little too tight for my liking; or simply weren't shaped well for my proportions.

In terms of functionality, Business Insider says the watch will support health and fitness tracking features, like most of its soon-to-be competitors. Employees have reportedly already been allowed to test the device to determine pain points and potential areas for improvement. Two current examples seem to be the watch's slow rate of charging and its frequent need to charge.

Given how critical long battery life is for smartwatches, we'd be surprised if the device ships in that state. Those issues will very likely be solved before the Pixel Watch -- or whatever it's called -- releases in 2022.

Permalink to story.

Good luck with that. Smartwatch owners are very tribal for some reason, and it takes something special to win them to a different side. I used a Fitbit since 2009-10 and only switched to Amazfit recently.

It must really suck to be a company making products in the shadow of apple.

Samsung and other Android makers tried soooo hard.

Keyboards on their watches.
Built in cameras.
LTE/4G...

And Applewaatch still rules the block.

"In terms of functionality, Business Insider says the watch will support health and fitness tracking features"
wow! I did not see that coming

Google entered the smartwatch market at the start of this year by buying up Fitbit. If they can improve the servicing facilities for these devices by making replacement batteries a reality things will improve considerably.

"In terms of functionality, Business Insider says the watch will support health and fitness tracking features"
wow! I did not see that coming
This is not what you might think. This data will be used by your insurance provider and any future insurance provider. If you want insurance you will have to do this this and this. It is how those "in the know people" know what is best for the rest of us just maybe not them

Now Google will collect your blood pressure readings, cholesterol levels, pulse ox, and blood glucose!
I know you're joking but if it could report blood glucose then I'd buy one in an instant. I was going to buy the latest apple watch as it was widely reported this would be a feature but sadly this feature never appeared. I suspect most diabetics would love a smart watch with this feature and it would certainly be a golden opportunity for the company to actually do something good.

I know you're joking but if it could report blood glucose then I'd buy one in an instant. I was going to buy the latest apple watch as it was widely reported this would be a feature but sadly this feature never appeared. I suspect most diabetics would love a smart watch with this feature and it would certainly be a golden opportunity for the company to actually do something good.
Ah, the Holy Grail. Unfortunately, I think the closest you will get to that is a CGM. So far, I have not seen any BG devices that are capable of monitoring BG without penetrating skin. I heard, at one point, that someone was working on a non-invasive Laser-based approach, but that was 2014 and there appears to be nothing since. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/281407

Back