Google's Pixel C to compete with iPad Pro, Surface Pro in enterprise tablet market

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google has a new tablet that’s ready to do battle with productivity-minded devices like Apple’s iPad Pro and Microsoft’s Surface.

Leaks ahead of the announcement pretty much nailed everything but in case you missed it, the Pixel C (which stands for Convertible) is a 10.2-inch slate that’s powered by Nvidia’s Tegra X1 processor, Maxwell graphics and 3GB of RAM. Its display features a resolution of 2,560 x 1,800 (308 PPI) with a 500 nits brightness rating and an sRGB color gamut.

It’s a tablet at heart yet like other productivity-minded slates, its full potential is realized only once you add a keyboard.

The optional full QWERTY keyboard for the Pixel C looks solid, attaching via strong magnets and is tilt-adjustable between 100 and 135 degrees. The board uses Bluetooth for connectivity instead of an “unsightly” physical connector and inductively charges itself from the tablet when it’s closed. Should you somehow forget to close the “lid,” the keyboard should last for around two months on a single charge.

Perhaps the most interesting – and questionable – aspect of the Pixel C is the fact that it’ll run Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

The Pixel C starts at $499 which doesn’t include the optional keyboard, an extra $149 you’ll need to spend if you intend to get some serious work done. Google said it’ll be available in time for the holidays.

Permalink to story.

I'm still waiting for Acer cloud book 14. Full windows 10 laptop for $250.

A portable tablet with keyboard for productivity that is using Chrome OS that requires constant internet connection and doesn't run any of the major productivity suite full software packages?? Urm, maybe productive for people that write the occasion text file and nothing much else.

A portable tablet with keyboard for productivity that is using Chrome OS that requires constant internet connection and doesn't run any of the major productivity suite full software packages?? Urm, maybe productive for people that write the occasion text file and nothing much else.
Actually, it runs Android. Which doesn't make it much better.

Actually, it runs Android. Which doesn't make it much better.
I was wondering looking at the screenshot but didn't research it further. Strange to give it the "Pixel" name when that has historically only been used for the Chromebook/ChromeOS based devices. At least there's a selection of office and productivity apps for Android. I find Lightroom mobile useful for some culling, rating and basic editing of smart previews to sync back to desktop but never really see myself using it as a primary productivity device.

It looks nice but personally I'd never buy anything like this, I'd rather shell out the extra chunk of change on a proper laptop.

Expensive keyboard, non windows os, and a fairly high price tag. I am doubting this one will really go anywhere and with the Acer product line I think they are going to have to do some serious price cutting to compete .....

I don't see the point on bringing more premium android tablets, these are not meant for productivity.

And please... stop making products that REQUIRE having the keyboard but selling this apart. Thanks!

It's awesome how people carry around ipads and believe those are for "productivity" when it's just a phone with bigger screen for mail reading and light surfing.

Back