GoPro's next-gen action cameras spied in leaked photos

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Add-on accessories could be an interesting addition to GoPro's product line, especially if they add tangible value, and would serve as an additional source of revenue for a company that has struggled as of late.

GoPro’s next generation action camera has leaked ahead of an expected September launch, boasting an all-new look and support for optional add-on accessories.

Photo Rumors managed to secure the details out of China. According to the publication’s sources, the GoPro Hero 8 will be powered by a GP2 chip capable of 4K video recording at 120 frames per second and full HD video at up to 480 fps. There’s also said to be an improved lens that delivers better image quality and hot shoe-style accessories including a microphone, LED light and an external display.

The publication also got its hands on images of a new GoPro Max that was registered with the Japanese Ministry of Communications. The new model will reportedly replace the GoPro Fusion that launched in 2017. Additional details on this shooter remain a mystery as of now.

Word of new cameras from GoPro comes shortly after the launch of rival DJI’s first action camera, the DJI Osmo Action. Although it wasn’t quite as good as the GoPro Hero 7, The Verge was reasonably impressed with DJI’s freshman outing which bodes well for future revisions.

Photo Rumors has a respectable track record, delivering early images of the GoPro Hero 6 weeks before its unveiling in 2017. Even still, it’s worth taking all rumors with a grain of salt until officially confirmed by the manufacturer.

Masthead credit: paddle board surfer by Longjourneys

Permalink to story.

I just got this as one of my wedding presents (I only had a few requests) off our Amazon wedding registry.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HGM33HG/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20

The price of the GoPro's isn't low enough yet.
I'll be using it snowmobiling this year and have a GoPro mount for my 509 Altitude helmet...should bolt right up, can't wait to see how it works. Only holds a 64GB MicroSD but that should be enough. Some folks say the batteries don't last very long, in 20 degree weather doing 60mph, that's damn cold.

If they figure out how to make them cheaper...

Depending on your needs, there are sooo many clones at this point that might do what you need at a margin of the price.

None of those “fantastic” specs means anything if they can’t produce a camera that doesn’t overheat and freeze after 10min of continuous 4K recording like my Hero 7 Black does. Assuming you can even get 10min of recording time out of the battery. GoPro QC went to zero after the 5-series. I just pitched my Hero 7 for a DJI Osmo Action and could not be happier. I will never buy another GoPro product again. They cannot possibly win me back after the Osmo’s stellar performance. It’s no wonder GoPro stock is tanking.

I just got this as one of my wedding presents (I only had a few requests) off our Amazon wedding registry.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HGM33HG/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20

The price of the GoPro's isn't low enough yet.
I'll be using it snowmobiling this year and have a GoPro mount for my 509 Altitude helmet...should bolt right up, can't wait to see how it works. Only holds a 64GB MicroSD but that should be enough. Some folks say the batteries don't last very long, in 20 degree weather doing 60mph, that's damn cold.

When using in cold/freezing temperatures, it's best to use the SuperSuit housing to trap more heat in with the camera. Keep the camera/extra batteries in an inside jacket pocket close to your body before use. You also might want to use a few anti-fog inserts to prevent to change in temperature from foggy the lens.

If they figure out how to make them cheaper...

Depending on your needs, there are sooo many clones at this point that might do what you need at a margin of the price.

"Depending on your needs" is really the key point here. Most people don't buy tech based solely upon needs, but rather wants. The problem with satisfying "needs" with tech is often you don't fully understand what those needs are until you start using the piece of tech. Technology opens possibilities. Purchasing inferior 3rd party cameras often closes off the user from exploring or understanding these possibilities.

All too often I've talked to people who purchased an inferior cheap GoPro knock off only to find out one of two things 1) Because of the inferior quality & lack of features they just never use the camera or 2) They realize that they want much more and end up purchasing the GoPro (ultimately costing them more money). Scenario #1 is really the sad one because of all the promotion of these cheap 3rd party knock offs. Not only do these people end up wasting money (even if it's considerably less), but they are also turned off from the convenience, versatility, and potential of owning a GoPro camera.

None of those “fantastic” specs means anything if they can’t produce a camera that doesn’t overheat and freeze after 10min of continuous 4K recording like my Hero 7 Black does. Assuming you can even get 10min of recording time out of the battery. GoPro QC went to zero after the 5-series. I just pitched my Hero 7 for a DJI Osmo Action and could not be happier. I will never buy another GoPro product again. They cannot possibly win me back after the Osmo’s stellar performance. It’s no wonder GoPro stock is tanking.

It's unfortunate that the GoPro didn't work out for you. Of course, you can go to just about any phone, camera, or computer forum and find people complaining about that particular device. Even the DJI Osmo Action has it's share of people complaining about freezing, overheating, unresponsiveness, display lag, condensation, inferior video quality, overly cropped stabilization, lack of GPS, poorly executed HDR video, lack of 2.7K/120fps, inferior timelapse, lack of 4:3 stabilization, limited voice language detection, poor bluetooth>Wifi app connection, etc.

This doesn't mean that the Osmo Action is bad, just that with any piece of tech there will always be those that have issues (some legitimate). My HERO7 Black runs perfect in 4K without overheating or freezing, although GoPro did just release an update to address issues some where having. Osmo Action isn't a bad knock off of GoPro, even if the EIS crop ridiculously takes 4K footage and basically makes it 2K. It's just too bad DJI wasn't innovative enough to make a camera to compete with this years release and only came close to competing with last years GoPro. I'm sure they will do better next year.

"Depending on your needs" is really the key point here.
If you are not a prosumer (I ducking hate the term), I think the GoPro is overkill both in price and feature wise. To share a video in youtube or with your family and/or friends, do you really need that video in 4k resolution? The most probable outcome is you will compress the crap out of that video to be "sendable" unless you are looking for a professional outcome. Which most of the times, I don't think is the case.

So yeah, I think it's a great little gadget and definitely of good quality. Would I buy one of those to shoot my zip lining scuba diving and parachuting vacations? I most definitely can do the same for a fraction of the price.

1) Because of the inferior quality & lack of features they just never use the camera or 2) They realize that they want much more and end up purchasing the GoPro (ultimately costing them more money).
1) Will probably always be the case of an impulse purchase. It's awesome, it's great, but yeah I should've probably thought it through.
2) If that's the case it means they probably can do it, and they made the best possible choice by trying out something that they can get a little bit of cash out of. Think of this scenario as a service rather than something bad.

Back