Got hit by Antivirus XP 2008 and those fake alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedoca

I got hit with this and the blue screen with the message of "pc infected" or something like that at my computer at work. Then I ran spybot and got on this forum followed the instructions using Malwarebytes to clean things off; restart the PC and now the IE is not working. Nothing is opening up but it shows that it is running under Taskmanager. I really need IE for some of the stuff I do at work, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you much!

Hi :

SPECIFICALLY, WHAT do you mean IE is not working !? Do you mean you are
unable to connect to the Net ? Do you mean you can connect, but are unable to
go from Site to Site ? Would be helpful IF you told us What Version of IE and
the SPECIFIC Name of your Operating System !?

Did you temporarily "disable" Spybot's "TeaTimer" PRIOR to running the
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware program ?

Thanks for the response and sorry for not being detailed enough. The computer at work is a Dell which has Windows XP (SP2 or 3, not quite sure) and I have disabled "teatimer" in Spybot before running the Malwarebytes and deleted everything it found, then remove all items found by Malwarebytes after that, reboot the PC. The blue screen and the Antivirus XP 2008 are gone, but when I click on the IE icon (I'm using IE 7) nothing comes up; that means no page loaded, not even a flash which indicates something is trying to load, bottom line, NOTHING happens when I hit the IE icon. However under task manager, "Processes", "iexplorer" showed up and the status was "running"; the PC is connected to the net cuz the Yahoo chat works, outlook and other "live" programs were running fine, even Firefox worked but IE. Thank you for your help and let me know if you need anymore info.

this might help

Hi,
Try installing a program called spyhunter.
You may have to use another pc to download it. When you install it make sure you are not on the net and all antivirus and malware programs are off (not running).After the install,run it. Next , reconnect your internt and upgrade spyhunter and run again.
This took care of the my problem which sounds the same as yours.

antivirus xp 2008 sucks

i used spybot after i got that crap and i think i got rid of it but i can't get my background to change back to normal until after i search with spybot again. how can i make the background what it is supposed to be on startup?

please help

Additional Question

Hopefully you ran the full Malware Removal Procedure. This threat appears to invite other threats.

Addition Question: How does this threat re-appear on the computer? There appears to be a hole in Windows security.

Case Timeline for Norton 360 protection (daily Live Update)
day 0 360 deletes threat AV2008 XP
day 5 360 deletes threat AV2008 XP (recurrence), and 2 additional trojans
days 8, 10 360 deletes 3 trojans (recurrence)
day 11 HJT identifies 3 files as threats; user manually quaranties files.
day 12 360 detects 1 "user" quarantied files
day 12 Upgrade 360 to version 2
day 12 360v2 detects 2nd "user" quarantied files
days 13-26 360v2 still has not identified 3rd "user" quarantied file; no other threats found,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back