GPU is not getting power

petrusweinrebe

Hi Guys

I recently Invested in a new XFX GeForce 9800GT card, I pulled out the old G-card and popped the new boy in,powered up,PC turns on and the fans are spinning but the screen stays black.....so I took a closer look, and found (in very fine print) that the card needs at least a 550W PSU and I was currently running on a cheap 450W...So I got hold of a 500W and plugged it in...still black....

I consider myself proficient in IT so I was thinking that it should at least power on,so now I ordered a very expensive 650W coolermaster PSU...Hoping it will work...But the strange thing is that The card does not have a 6 pin PCIe power connector

Any advice would be much appreciated

Looking at the end of the card in the pictures of the 9800GT cards on the XFX site it looks like it should have a power connection on the top right corner of the card.

Looking at this other thread here it looks like you may have accidentally purchased a "low power" green version of the card that uses less power. Unfortunately it also means that the card is a lot greener in terms of performance as well. Check what the cards part number/serial number is and look it up on XFX. If it is a low power one (having no 6 pin power connector suggests this) you can always see if you can return it and purchase a normal one instead.

Of course, it should at least be working.
I assume the fan on the graphics card is spinning, it is getting powered via the PCIe slot? It is possible that the device is DOA. If you have any friends with compatible machines you could maybe try the card in those to verify if it is working at all. If not then it's a case of RMA.

Yeah...well my New PSU is comming in an hour or so, so I'll just try it then,if it still doesnt work, i'll return it and get a new one.

The old card was also using the PCI-E slot?
In the Bios there is a setting to specify which slot is used often labelled as "Primary Video Adapter". This may be set to PCI or Onboard depending what the initial configuration of the machine was.

Yeah... I tested it with my new coolermaster 650W... and still dead, so yeah its DOA, I'll just return it for a new one... Thanx for the assist guys...

Back