GPU manufacturer 51RISC joins the fight against GPU sag in a weird, weird way

Jimmy2x

Staff
WTF?! There's a touchy subject that a lot don't want to talk about. It's embarrassing, makes some people feel ashamed of their equipment, and it's hard to find a straight answer on why it happens. It affects a high percentage of PC owners, many of whom suffer silently for fear of being shamed. That's right, we're talking about GPU sag.

It's no secret that you can find almost anything on AliExpress. So, if you're looking for the latest in graphics hardware, specifically one that provides an integrated solution to combat GPU sag, then you're in luck.

Many of today's graphics cards come with supports, reinforcements, and even leashes to make sure they don't tear themselves away from their PCIe slots. Not to be outdone, GPU manufacturer 51RISC has released its own take on Nvidia's flagship RTX 4090. But this one doesn't come with gimmicks like RGB braces or cable tethers; it comes with an integrated spirit level.

But what if the GPU isn't the problem?

The card's overall design isn't far from other RTX 4090 offerings and, in some ways, is actually more attractive. The card itself is a 3-slot unit, coming in slightly smaller than some of the 3.5 and 4-slot solutions from Nvidia and their add-in board (AIB) partners. The shroud and backplate sport a futuristic-looking olive-drab design that meshes well with the black fans and other accents. In terms of performance, the card uses the same PCB configuration as many other RTX 4090s, is powered by a 12pin+4pin connector, and boasts a 450w thermal design power (TDP) limit.

The real draw is found on the card's exposed side, boasting not one but two spirit levels to ensure the card is straight. These tried-and-true levels, seen in workshops and construction sites worldwide, will ensure that you know if your card is level. They won't help to correct it; they'll just let you know.

If you find the card sagging or crooked once installed, well, that just raises more questions. Is it the card, desk, floor, or building that isn't level? Those who aren't sure can probably just pop the card back out of their system and use the level to check those things, too.

Masthead from Videocardz.com, crooked house by Lance Anderson

Permalink to story.

I don’t understand the disparaging comments it’s an industrial rugged look. I don’t see anything wrong with it so long as the price premium over the FE is minimal or non existent and the performance is within the ballpark of what a 4090 should be. In fact, this card looks more tough than the Asus TUF.

Mobos should come with reinforced slots somehow too to help the stupid support stick. Really, what a craziness. Going to liquid cooling in my next graphics card.

I don’t understand the disparaging comments it’s an industrial rugged look. I don’t see anything wrong with it so long as the price premium over the FE is minimal or non existent and the performance is within the ballpark of what a 4090 should be. In fact, this card looks more tough than the Asus TUF.

Thought the article was hilarious…in a good way. The author is absolutely right! How do you know your pc case isn’t crooked. For that matter, the trolley you’ve placed your PC on, or maybe it’s a garage rig with a sloped floor that’s causing the issue.

Totally agree you’d need to at least make sure that your motherboard was at least perfectly perpendicular before using this method.

Mobos should come with reinforced slots somehow too to help the stupid support stick. Really, what a craziness. Going to liquid cooling in my next graphics card.
Another solution is to go with a more power efficient video card. I'll wait for RDNA3, if will be more power efficient, and performance close to Nvidia counterparts I'll go with RDNA3.

Another solution is to go with a more power efficient video card. I'll wait for RDNA3, if will be more power efficient, and performance close to Nvidia counterparts I'll go with RDNA3.

My 1070 sags....Power has nothing to do with "sagging"...

My 1070 sags....Power has nothing to do with "sagging"...
Appology, wanted to respond to another post.
Though a power hungry card is definetly be heavier so... faster sag in time.
Interesting how sagging become a real problem last years.
Maybe HW manufacturers have to come with a better solution for cases, MB and videocards placement.

Last edited:
Appology, wanted to respond to another post.
Though a power hungry card is definetly be heavier so... faster sag in time.
Interesting how sagging become a real problem last years.
Maybe HW manufacturers have to come with a better solution for cases, MB and videocards placement.
They didn't see the problem so they didn't address it. I didn't address it either with my card, it makes no difference whether it sags or not as long as all the leads are where they are supposed to be and making excellent contact. Exactly the reason why no manufacturer addressed the sagging "issue".
It's ugly, perhaps.

Now, something that weighs 2.5kg (4090) needs a crutch (no point in making pretty names, crutch is a crutch) because it will, eventually, destroy the slot in one way or another.

Yes, just about that weight... Can anyone explain to me, if it is possible to lay my hightower PC on its back. Like lay it flat on the ground with MB horizontally and all the slot-inserted stuff pointing upward. Would that be somehow wrong or is it just a question of losing too much space?
Please, anyone?

They didn't see the problem so they didn't address it. I didn't address it either with my card, it makes no difference whether it sags or not as long as all the leads are where they are supposed to be and making excellent contact. Exactly the reason why no manufacturer addressed the sagging "issue".
It's ugly, perhaps.

Now, something that weighs 2.5kg (4090) needs a crutch (no point in making pretty names, crutch is a crutch) because it will, eventually, destroy the slot in one way or another.
True, also this raise another debate if we, as customers accept to go on that route.
I mean the other solution is to make a more power efficient and lighter videocard.
TV manufacturers tried to bring 3D TV to public but they failed cause the customers did not bought it.
Do we want to buy and use videocards which are power hungy, needs new PSU, new cases and redesigned MB to not waste 4 slots on MB how they are now? And this while electricity price continue to raise?
Personally I will not support this trend.

Yes, just about that weight... Can anyone explain to me, if it is possible to lay my hightower PC on its back. Like lay it flat on the ground with MB horizontally and all the slot-inserted stuff pointing upward. Would that be somehow wrong or is it just a question of losing too much space?
Please, anyone?
It's perfectly fine to lay it down.

Looking at 51RISC store, I guess they make money on selling refurbished cards. I doubt there's innovation there. Very suspicious to see a new high-end product from this "manufacturer". Probably a fake aimed to get more clicks.

Please, anyone?

To make safe suggestions, it would be cool to see what's inside.

Please, anyone?
Congratulations, you have just re-invented the IBM PC XT!

I'm so ashamed my GPU sagged so bad I had to hide it behind duct tape. I used green duct tape on the side window hiding my once mighty card from being shamed by these newer cards that are so Thicc now there is no way they could ever sag or could they when an even more mighty card gets released and they feel the shame and sag in despair like mine started doing. I tried cheering her up form time to time. I would say hey little buddy it's all good your still top dog in my world but sadly nothing I said or did seemed to help so out came the duct tape lime green of coarse. Now my card suffers in shame all alone.

Anyways I am joking of coarse and after reading this to myself my first thought is oh wow dude to much spiced rum not enough coffee lol. Oh & I hate lime green so ther eis that as well lol.

I'm so ashamed my GPU sagged so bad I had to hide it behind duct tape. I used green duct tape on the side window hiding my once mighty card from being shamed by these newer cards that are so Thicc now there is no way they could ever sag or could they when an even more mighty card gets released and they feel the shame and sag in despair like mine started doing. I tried cheering her up form time to time. I would say hey little buddy it's all good your still top dog in my world but sadly nothing I said or did seemed to help so out came the duct tape lime green of coarse. Now my card suffers in shame all alone.

Anyways I am joking of coarse and after reading this to myself my first thought is oh wow dude to much spiced rum not enough coffee lol. Oh & I hate lime green so ther eis that as well lol.
And I'm sure there are some who will rage that your duct tape wasn't fire-engine red ('cause everyone knows 'that' duct tape is cheaper, stronger, and more power-efficient than any green duct tape)!

Yeah, it's not minimal at all. They're asking nearly $1,000 over MSRP.

Yeah, instead of adding solution to the box of already expensive graphic card, let's give you a way to know that it is sagging, so solution can be sold to you for extra money. Plus their way is error prone too, how do you know your floor, desk and case are perfectly leveled to give you right measurement? Without checking tharlt, it can easily tell you that you got sag when you may not have one. But pack of care for that tells me that they are expecting sag. Hence why you don't need to know, but instead of commiting that and giving you bracket, I guess it is better to sell you one separately. Like this approach fits right in with modern AAA gaming industry and it's monetization practices. Or those let's stop including phone charger just when we get faster charging and change plugs to reduce cable comp atibility Apple and Samsung. :-D

Back