Graphics Card Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgcharlie

hi,

I have Intel original D865GVHZ motherboard with 2.4 GHz processor.

I want to include a graphics card into it... but i m not sure as to whether my board supports this type of cards (I m not sure hence asking). Secondly, which brand to select. I would like to have a card that could support most of today's games or at least the games avaliable till date. Namely, Medal of Honour, Call of Duty, Need for Speed series, Half Life, Fall Out, etc...

Another advice i would like to have is... i m going to upgrade my RAM too from 256 MB 333 MHz 2 GB ?? MHz. I checked out on the net and found out that my board supports upto 4 GB ranging 333 MHz, 400 MHz.

So, do i go for 2 GB 333 MHz so of total i would have 2304 MHz of RAM. OR go for a single 2 GB 400 MHz?

my Current system details.

Intel original D865GVHZ motherboard
2.4 GHz processor
256 MB RAM (SDDR RAM, i guess. let u know tomorrow for sure)
120 GB HDD IDE (80+40) going for 320 GB SATA (No issues, board supports)
External sound card (brand unknown, but uses Cmedia drivers)
Sony DVD writer

Please let me know if you need any more details.
Thanks in advance.

Two 1GB ddr sdram 400 would be good but as far as i can tell there are only pci slots on that board which severely limits video card upgrades since i think the nvidia 6200 was the last pci card on the market. I would say save a little money cause it might be time to upgrade.

You can still get decent PCI video graphics cards, but they are not the equal of PCI-Express or AGP... Shop your favorite online store for AGP withj 256 MB or memory... more memory than that seldom makes any difference.

Thanks Klepto12

YOu said 2 1GB ddr sdram 400 MHz, but i was thnking of upgrading 1 2GB
ddr sdram as my board supports upto 4GB. And please advice as to go to
400 MHz or make this new RAM a addition to the previous 256 MB 333MHz.
Will the new ram be compatible with 512MB 266 MHz?

There are 3 pci slots. 2 occupied by sound card and lan card, so i still
have one slot left..

can i send my board's picture? where and how? please explain.

Is there a higher MB than 256MB or memory, havent thought of upgrading yet.

On most boards that use 266 MHz of DDR PC2100, they will accept and work better with DDR PC3200 or 400 MHz... beyond that, not so good above 400 MHz.
Your board may support 400 4 GB, but most wiith Windows XP will only work with 3.0 GB or 3.5 GB... It will run fine with 4 GB but just not use all the available memory.
The speed of the board use of memory will be limited to the speed of the slowest module... and mixed modules actually run a bit slower than the slowest.
Put your fastest, largest capacity module in the first slot, and your slowest, smallest capacity module in the last slot.
But your board will be limited severely by the 512 MB of 266 MHz module, then by thge 256 MB 333 MHz. In most cases if You have two 1 GB modules of 333 or 400 MHz, you should not use the others even if you have the extra slots to use the 256 MB and 512 MB. Your board is likely looking for matched pairs of identical memory... perhaps dual channel.

yes the two 1GB dimms was so you could run in DDR which is twice as fast as normal. I do not advise putting the old ram back in with the new ram and 2GB ram is plenty for XP besides SDRAM is alot more expensive than DDR2 because there is so little demand for the older SDRAM that isnt manufactured anymore.

Can my board "Intel original D865GVHZ motherboard with 2.4 GHz processor" RAM DDR-SDRAM 2 GB, support the following graphics card??

Graphics Processing Unit GeForce 8500 GT
Core Clock 450MHz
Memory Type 512MB DDR2

Memory Interface 128-bit

Stream Processors N/A/16

Shader Clock N/A/900MHz

Bus Type PCI

RAMDAC 400 MHz

Output HDTV+CRT+DVI

HDTV Resolution up to 480P

i was advised to try GeForce 8500 GT Video Card - 256MB DDR2, PCI, but could GeForce 8500 GT Video Card - 512MB DDR2, PCI work out too for my board... i remember reading dont know where that 512MB couldnt make much difference when compared to 256MB in case of graphics card i m talking... is it true?.. please advise.

512>256, Its twice as much memory to dedicate to your games. Your memory speed tells your system how fast it can be accessed

512MB or 256MB doesn't matter for PCI cards. They're extremely bandwidth-limited as it is, so the extra memory will not help in any way. In fact, you would be better off getting a GeForce 6200 or a Radeon HD 2400PRO in PCI, since there will be no visible performance difference between these cards and the 8500GT PCI due to the constraints of the PCI bus.

The board can support it fine, but can the power supply? It would not be my choice because of the memory configuration on that board.

512MB or 256MB doesn't matter for PCI cards. They're extremely bandwidth-limited as it is, so the extra memory will not help in any way. In fact, you would be better off getting a GeForce 6200 or a Radeon HD 2400PRO in PCI, since there will be no visible performance difference between these cards and the 8500GT PCI due to the constraints of the PCI bus.

I thought i saw agp in this thread, so i went back to read it again. Now I'm wondering why was it even mentioned.

my power supply or smps supports AC 220 Volts, now how do i increase the power supply so that the graphics card has no problem.. or whether should i look for card that works on AC 220 Volts. Would that matter for the cards that come to India?

You mentioned, they are extremely bandwidth limited, are you talking about playing games online... i want to be able to play the latest games on my system not on the internet... keeping this in mind please recommend a card for me..

please clarify.........thanks

The HD 2400PRO will provide enough power for any kind of gaming, even online gaming. Don't expect the games to look very pretty though, but they should run smoothly on Medium-Low image quality settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back