Graphics card for Dell Dimension 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlochner

I bought a ATI Radeon 7000, installed it in my Dell Dimension 3000, and the PC won't boot. Any suggestions of what to do? Is the card not compatible?

It has been a while since I had my hands in a Dimension 3000, but as I recall, that machine only will accept PCI graphics cards.
The ATI Radeon 7000 is/was an AGP card, designed for older MacIntosh AGP 4X boards.

Does your Dell have an AGP slot? Or is my memory fading.

The card is PCI, and so is the PC. I have installed it, but it does not work, PC won't boot. Any suggestions?

And the correct drivers are installed? I do not find the same information on that Video Graphics card...
From the ATI site, "AGP 2.0 Compliant BUS - AGP 2X (3.3V), AGP 4X (1.5V), or AGP2X/4X based systems, PCI 2.2 compliant - PCI-33 and PCI-66, or Universal PCI based systems"
and
"AGP and PCI Bus"
The trick is the "... Universal PCI based systems..." which the Dell 3000 is not.

So drivers and install are going to be critical, as well as the Dell install.
I would try it in the other two PCI slots in your 3000...

Did you buy it new or refurbished? Because the common use has been for older MacIntosh computers that cannot exceed 4X.
What do you find in your Device Manager, once it is installed in the slot? Do you have red or yellow or black flags there?
I do know that the Dell basic models from 2200, 2300, 2350, 2400, and 3000 have a history of being very particular about which PCI video graphics card are installed... and a great number of cards will not work. Ever. Due to the limitations on those very basic motherboards.
Good luck to you. Please get a final response to this site once you finger it out.

No, I did not install a driver, could not find one. I did buy this card used....
OK, what other route would you suggest- I am trying to play my PC movies on my flatscreen, which does not have a VGA input.

Ok, I have the driver file, but the card needs to be installed, so the driver can "find" it. The problem is, that when I install the card, the PC does not boot, so I can't run the driver software with the card installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back