Graphics card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazman526

OK, I just got a graphics card for my b-day and it was pretty good, An OC nvidia GTS 250 graphics card, The one that came with my computer was getting old (8500GT) and I wanted to replace it, so I got it and plugged it in, nothing, so then I realized I didnt have a good enough power source (it requires 450 watts) so I went and got a 700 Watt power supply, I got that installed and I still had a black monitor, It was running but no picture showed up so I called support and after a while he concluded it was the card, so I sent it in for a new one, I just got it today and wouldnt you know the monitor still wouldnt turn on, so after spending a half an hour on the support hotline again, he said it was either the graphics card or the power supply, if anyone knows what to do, please help me, I REALLY dont want to go out and spend money on another power supply!!!!!!

What brand and make is the psu, what are your other pc specs please, then we can help you further.

I have an HP m8400f computer with 3072 mb of system memory and 720 GB hard drive with an OCZ gamestream 700 watt power supply, with 36 A at +3.3V

OK, is there another dvi cord you can use to connect the monitor to the pc? I had that issue once, dvi cord was bad, that's rare though.

When you buy psu's you should do a lot of research, its the heart of your computer really. Since your problem is at start up, we can try to assume its something in between the psu and the video card.

Try connecting your old psu to see what happens to power up, nothing should explode or fail just on starting up your pc. Your vga is actually a considerablly low power card.

I actually put my old power supply at my grandfathers, and it really wouldnt do much with the new one cause the old PSU had 300 w and the new card requires at least 450 W but I can say that it works just fine

did you connect the 6 pin connectors, those are very important. Also you can try booting w/o the video card. Look in the manual of your motherboard(if you have one) to see how many beeps will occur on no detected video card, that would help and let you know its not the video card.

OK, Ill try that out and post when I reboot, and yes, I tried both of the 6 pin connectors and I still got nothing

lol you may have just solved the problem, you need to go into bios and disable it for your add on card to work properly. Take these steps.

Take out your graphics card, boot up, go into windows and then control panel, system devices, uninstall your onboard video card drivers, restart, add the card, download drivers for the new card.

My computer>
control panel>
device manager>
system devices>

actually, when I take my old graphics card out to reboot, Idk where to hook up the monitor to the system because im used to hooking up to the actual card

There should be a VGA (blue) slot on your motherboard, near the USB slots and parallel port(s) at the back. This is your onboard video card you need to hook up to your monitor.

It still dosent work, here is my motherboard brand

Nettle3-GL8E

Could someone tell me if MY Geforce GTS250 graphics card is compatable with this motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back