Graphics card prices are no longer falling rapidly

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? The weeks-long fall in graphics card prices has slowed to a crawl. Gamers have watched with renewed optimism as products from Nvidia and AMD drop toward their MSRPs with gathering pace, but the latest data suggests that rapid improvement is it an end—at least for now.

German site 3DCenter has been tracking the average price of RTX 3000-series and Radeon RX 6000-series cards in Germany. From their peak in May, when team green's offerings were selling at three times their MSRP and AMD's were double the suggested prices, both companies' cards had fallen to 53% above their MSRPs at the start of July.

Also see: GPU Availability and Pricing Update: July 2021

The latest report isn't as encouraging. Between July 4 and July 18, Ampere's prices fell by just 3%, though it's noted that the continued high selling points of the RTX 3070 Ti and RTX 3080 Ti are skewing Nvidia's average slightly.

It's even worse news for AMD fans. The average price of the Radeon RX 6000 line went up 3% during that time frame—its first increase since May.

Thankfully, stock levels remain the same: only the RTX 3060 Ti failed to get a 4/5 availability rating on Nvidia's side, while the RX 6800 XT (3/5) and RX 6800 (2/5) are AMD's most difficult-to-find cards.

As always, it's important to remember that the report only applies to retailers in Germany and Austria, despite often being used as a barometer for the worldwide market. And we could see another steep price drop in a few weeks.

The second-hand market doesn't paint quite as grim a picture. Our latest GPU pricing update shows both Ampere and RDNA 2 eBay prices keeping falling at a steady rate, but they're still around double their MSRP.

Permalink to story.

My observation is based on some large retailers in Germany, which provides a very reliable indication of the general trend. And in the last 2 weeks prices haven't changed (I was looking at nVidia cards only).

Ethereum is due for a rally so buy now whilst you still can.
Thanks for the suggestion but no, I'm not going to pay double "just in case" they re-increase to triple on the back of another crypto-psychosis bubble. Bought my GTX 1660 for £158 and there's more than enough fish in the backlog for a decade, so if I have to keep it for another 5 years until sanity is restored and give the middle finger to scalpers, miners, GPU manufacturers who can't produce anything under £350 and AAA devs who can't optimise for sh*t alike, then I'll do just that.

Luckily for QP, he got not one but TWO 3090's at a good price! Now he doesn't have to worry about it for a long time!

Also something about Bugatti's and Teslas racing at 4K/8K blah blah

When I look back, that $1799 ($1955 with tax) seemed like a lot of money then - but now, I pay it gladly.

Luckily for QP, he got not one but TWO 3090's at a good price! Now he doesn't have to worry about it for a long time!

Don't forget, he got them by knowing the manager at his local Micro Center store and got him to hold the cards just for him. So, as you can see, we're all just peasants to QP due to are inability to get 2 - 3090 cards and without having someone in our pockets to hold high end merchandise for us.

As for prices on GPUs - AMD prices haven't budged on Micro Center for many months now. 6700XT are still right around that $900-1000 price point. The few 6800 that come in are around the $1100-1300 price point and the few 6800XT that show up are around the $1300+ price point.

No one wants a 6700XT for a grand. Which is why you see the 6800/6800XT always selling out faster - much better performance for only, maybe, a few hundred dollars more.

Nvidia cards have gone down some. I see the 3070 cards are around the $700 range, they used to be in the $900+. Also, the 3060s (non Ti models) tend to be close to MSRP.

Got a member on TPU that's been posting Micro Center and Newegg stock information daily for the past couple of weeks. You can check out his post here if you want.

Today I see there are 5 - 3080 cards at my local Micro Center, they're only priced at $1150 (so around $1235 after taxes). If I had a grand to spend and was at the store right now, I'd just pony up a couple hundred more for the 3080 over spending about a $1000 on a 6700XT.

Ditched my 3090 as it was way too hot and loud for my case and bought an AIO 3080 Ti for a QP-style obscene amount of money. Good job I can refill it with tears.

It's way to short a time frame to say for certain that anything has stopped - it's going to take months for ***** Rooms like Ebay to figure things out. Bitcoin is also going up-and-down (but still remains half the price kit was in May)

The other half of this problem is: there are so many different retail stores charging $900 for the 6700 XT that I have to presume that these ARE NOT JUST resellers; I have to assume that its msrp from third parties? This means there are thousands of affordable cards out there sitting on shelves, just slowing down this "return to normalcy" (thanks AMD)

Just wait s few more months, and the combination of reduced alt-coin mining profits , plus the shift to ETH Stake will make a much more immediate shock to the GPU market

Last edited:
My theory is that misinformation was spread to cause a sell panic. Miners flocked elsewhere and will buy up stock. With a backlog demand of 8 months now remaining stock will be bought up quickly and currently the 3090 is selling for more than $1000 less than peak from just a few weeks back. Also coindesk was marketing that mining etherium is a all time high in terms of profitability just last week. I hope I'm wrong. Any updates on Proof of Stake?

Hey, don't be pretending you didn't wish you had the foresight to spend that much money on graphics cards that you can then bring up on a daily bases as Techspot has to mention GPU prices constantly.

Not sure what's worse now, an article a day about GPU prices that barely matter as they're still not available to buy in most places and where they are no sane person should buy. Or the people who started preemptively bashing Quantum before he even gets the chance to brag about his 2 3090FTW cards...

Have you ever managed to buy a graphics card?
No 3rd party graphics card are sold for MSRP...
Only the reference models of AMD/NVidia are sold for MSRP
I don‘t mind if well built AIB models are slightly above msrp. My Sapphire 5500XT was actually around msrp when I bought it.

Don‘t mean the craptacular below base models.

Gave my friend my 1060 6GB as his card burned out, it is MSI gamingX so should hold for a while with its behemoth cooling.
Am set with my 2060S. If shove comes to push, and I need to buy a new GPU, it's 1030 or something, which is at least price 10% above MSRP.
20 years of gaming and am really done with distributors extorting general consumer. They are really pricing themselves out of the market, people will move towards 1080P gaming if the trend continues, rather than moving up the resolution. And it is the dictate of financial prudence in post Covid world, as liquidity is not what it used to be.

Not sure what's worse now, an article a day about GPU prices that barely matter as they're still not available to buy in most places and where they are no sane person should buy. Or the people who started preemptively bashing Quantum before he even gets the chance to brag about his 2 3090FTW cards...

"Bashing" is a bit strong. More like social correction, mocking, etc. It's quite clear some people have a low enough self esteem that they feel compelled to point out that they have super secret special friends in high places, and $4000 to blow on gaming hardware, in nearly every single thread. It's pathetic, and tiresome. No one likes that guy at the party who shows up wearing gucci and loudly bragging about his Ferrari and big house with an olympic size pool, etc.

"Bashing" is a bit strong. More like social correction, mocking, etc. It's quite clear some people have a low enough self esteem that they feel compelled to point out that they have super secret special friends in high places, and $4000 to blow on gaming hardware, in nearly every single thread. It's pathetic, and tiresome. No one likes that guy at the party who shows up wearing gucci and loudly bragging about his Ferrari and big house with an olympic size pool, etc.
Ferrari? Those are for poor people.

**laughs as he climbs into his Bugatti Veyron**

Your Ferrari is bad and you should feel bad!

Alright fine, not bashing, that is a little harsh admittedly. I think mocking would have sufficed as you pointed out, bashing was just the first thing that came to mind.

Thankfully this isn't a party where you can't escape him and he needs to be the center of the party. He posts his one post, probably laughs at the people who get upset about it (myself included) and everyone usually moves on, I don't see the big deal, no point in deliberately or preemptively mocking him. If you're really getting fed up with him you can select to ignore his comments.

I do find it mildly amusing that he gets in as the first post almost every time, lately he's been unable to, hope all the negativity towards Mr. big spender hasn't driven him away :joy:

Ferrari? Those are for poor people.

**laughs as he climbs into his Bugatti Veyron**

Your Ferrari is bad and you should feel bad!
You just neatly summed up internet forum logic - the Veyron is faster, so the Ferrari is a worthless POS that‘s good for nothing.

Sadly that‘s how reasoning often goes.

When I look back, that $1799 ($1955 with tax) seemed like a lot of money then - but now, I pay it gladly.

Same here, I got my 3080 Game Rock for £875 which was a really good price considering I've gamed for houndeds of hours on this card since December and could still sell it for a good profit right now

Back