Graphics card prices drop again, now within seven percent of MSRP

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: Prices for graphics cards are dropping again in some European countries, and retail inventory is now better than it's been in two years. The situation differs in other regions, but the overall trend is noticeable. Finding a GPU at MSRP is no longer a distant dream and with a bit of luck, gamers will be able to find current-gen models for a fair price.

Over the past few months, we've seen a positive trend when it comes to both the pricing and availability of new and used graphics cards. After a crazy two years with scalpers and miners driving prices into the stratosphere, we're inching closer to MSRP and you can now find most of Nvidia's RTX 3000 and AMD's RX 6000 series graphics cards in stock at major retailers.

However, as our own Tim Schiesser points out in his monthly GPU pricing and availability analysis, it's hard to ignore the fact that we're only now seeing more sane prices just as Nvidia and AMD are getting ready to launch a new generation of GPUs.

If the latest rumors are true, these new cards will offer a significant leap in performance over the current crop. This makes it harder for gamers to decide between waiting another six months and paying MSRP-level prices for GPUs that are now more than one and a half years old. Then again, next-gen cards may well come with higher MSRPs, and Nvidia pretty much confirmed it will keep making Ampere cards for a while yet.

Meanwhile, 3DCenter reports that GPU pricing in Europe has continued its drop over the past few weeks. Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3000 series are still more expensive than Team Red offerings, but they can now be found at around 14 percent over MSRP. AMD's RX 6000 series are, on average, being sold at around seven percent above MSRP. Some models like the RX 6500 XT and the RX 6600 can even be found as low as 11 percent below MSRP.

The bad news is that Ethereum's transition to proof-of-stake has been delayed again, and GPU miners can now bypass the hash rate limiter on many of Nvidia's RTX 3000 LHR series cards. There is a glimmer of hope that the plunging price of Ethereum could discourage miners from buying more Ampere cards, and mining profitability has been trending down for several months now.

Overall, the GPU market is getting more gamer-friendly every month, and that's a good thing. AMD is close to launching its refreshed RDNA 2 cards, and Intel is preparing to attack the low-end and mainstream segments with Arc Alchemist. We'll have to wait and see if that has any effect on GPU prices in general but given Intel's silence on the matter, we don't expect any major improvements.

Permalink to story.

"The bad news is that Ethereum's transition to proof-of-stake has been delayed again,"

It will never happen (I really wish Techspot would stop saying it will - it's a LIE!!)... but... people are fools if they think mining is the reason they can't get a GPU at MSRP. The reason is simply the supply problem that has hit EVERYTHING tech-related thanks to the pandemic and various "bad weather systems"...

In an ideal world, Nvidia and AMD would produce tons of cards and everyone who wanted one could get one.... hopefully we see that with the 4000/7000 series later this year.

"The bad news is that Ethereum's transition to proof-of-stake has been delayed again,"

It will never happen (I really wish Techspot would stop saying it will - it's a LIE!!)... but... people are fools if they think mining is the reason they can't get a GPU at MSRP. The reason is simply the supply problem that has hit EVERYTHING tech-related thanks to the pandemic and various "bad weather systems"...

In an ideal world, Nvidia and AMD would produce tons of cards and everyone who wanted one could get one.... hopefully we see that with the 4000/7000 series later this year.
Mining is not the only reason for high prices, but it is the most important one, the others, pandemic supply and scalpery. Mining created an extra supply problem and a big one. The more crypto prices for main POW, ETH, were going up, the more cards were in demand. I think by now this is common knowledge, but hey, I guess calling people fools is fun.

Last edited:

China might have something to say about (re:Taiwan).

Mining is not the only reason for high prices, but it is the most important one, the others, pandemic supply and scalpery. Mining created an extra supply problem and a big one. The more crypto prices for main POW, ETH, were going up, the more cards were in demand. I think by now this is common knowledge, but hey, I guess calling people fools is fun.
Mining has existed for YEARS - and both Nvidia and AMD have known all about it. Had they been able to make as many cards as they had wanted, no one would be mentioning it at all.

Think on this: to dedicated miners, GAMERS are the problem with prices!
I guess calling people fools is fun.
Call it like I see it :)

Last edited:
Mining has existed for YEARS - and both Nvidia and AMD have known all about it. Had they been able to make as many cards as they had wanted, no one would be mentioning it at all.

I beg to differ. They have a number of cards based on selling projections, both for gaming and mining. They can't just come up with more whenever they like and certainly, no one can predict a big surge in crypto prices beforehand. Crypto prices going up generated huge demand on top of a pandemic supply chain problem. Thus mining influenced pricing, simple as that. I'm not arguing what video cards should be used for. But regarding your reversing roles statement, I can tell you is flawed, because gamers are in minority in terms of sales. There has never been such a huge demand from gamers that prices skyrocketed and most gamers just don't buy at ridiculous prices, so, splitting hairs doesn't work.

I really wish one outlet, like ONE outlet would mention in the discussion regarding "MSRP" of these video cards that the 3080 10gb with a MSRP of 7-800$ were basically discontinued when the 12gb and TI models came out. I would like ONE OUTLET at least to mention that SUUUUUURE the jacked up MSRP of the 12gb and TI's are coming back to stated MSRP but in light of the original MSRP of the 3080 10GB its a bit ridiculous to say they are coming back to MSRP without placing it in the context that the 12gb and TI models were essentially a RADICAL price hike hidden behind a rather paltry increase in performance afforded by the extra Vram etc. Can someone PLEASE talk about this?

Call it like I see it :)
Very good point, lol. Gamers think they are the most important people in the world. I like my video games and want cards at a reasonable price but that doesn't mean we are entitled to any protection what so ever from anyone from anything. Entitlement is the social cancer of our generation...

It's really easy to get the high end cards right now for MSRP, its the mid-range where its still hard to find stock and mid-range prices. The 6900 XT has been available for two weeks plus on AMD.com for $999. Apparently, the market for the high-end cards is still not really strong. People still want GPUs below $500. That and enthusiast are probably waiting for next gen at this point.

Oh My God, GPUs 11-14 % over MSRP in Europe? Where? Nor Narnia, nor Hogwarts does count, as They are not technically in EU (I mean, try going to Scotland and ask for Hogwarts).

Last edited:
I beg to differ. They have a number of cards based on selling projections, both for gaming and mining. They can't just come up with more whenever they like and certainly, no one can predict a big surge in crypto prices beforehand. Crypto prices going up generated huge demand on top of a pandemic supply chain problem. Thus mining influenced pricing, simple as that. I'm not arguing what video cards should be used for. But regarding your reversing roles statement, I can tell you is flawed, because gamers are in minority in terms of sales. There has never been such a huge demand from gamers that prices skyrocketed and most gamers just don't buy at ridiculous prices, so, splitting hairs doesn't work.
You have numbers backing that up? That more cards were sold for mining vs sold for gaming? How about those who game AND mine on the same cards? When you bought your GPU, did you fill out a survey telling Nvidia/AMD what you were using your GPU for?

If I am selling something, why should I care what you are using it for? Assuming it isn't criminal, I just want to sell...

Edit: Closest thing I can find is an anti-mining article... and even it admits it's only 25% of GPUs being used for mining - and that's a surge for first quarter 2022... it was lower before...

You have numbers backing that up? That more cards were sold for mining vs sold for gaming? How about those who game AND mine on the same cards? When you bought your GPU, did you fill out a survey telling Nvidia/AMD what you were using your GPU for?

If I am selling something, why should I care what you are using it for? Assuming it isn't criminal, I just want to sell...

Edit: Closest thing I can find is an anti-mining article... and even it admits it's only 25% of GPUs being used for mining - and that's a surge for first quarter 2022... it was lower before...
Ok, first off, I don't know why you keep mentioning it, this is not about entitlement of any kind. I never argued gamers should be privileged or sh!t like that, nor do I have something against miners, but I see you keep circling back to it. I only said mining drove prices up, whether it was people both mining and gaming or just miners. ETH increased price, more money, more mining, less cards, prices went steep over MSRP. And the answer on how much it influenced could be easily seen in the crypto craze of last year. Quantifying it would require total hashrates vs units sold on a period of time, monitoring pools for info on types of cards used. Needless to say, this requires a humongous study and the only people caring will be us, settling an argument. Or maybe you want me to give you receipts from Nvidia. However, ETH difficulty greatly increased last year, which suggests a ton of mining. And again, mining is not solely to blame, but it did influenced pricing.

Last edited:
How are we supposed to be optimistic when nicehash has broken nVidia's LHR algorithm? The words "Oh Christ, here we go again!" went through my head as I read it.

It's kinda shocking that there's no article about it on techspot.

How are we supposed to be optimistic when nicehash has broken nVidia's LHR algorithm? The words "Oh Christ, here we go again!" went through my head as I read it.

It's kinda shocking that there's no article about it on techspot.

I really wish one outlet, like ONE outlet would mention in the discussion regarding "MSRP" of these video cards that the 3080 10gb with a MSRP of 7-800$ were basically discontinued when the 12gb and TI models came out. I would like ONE OUTLET at least to mention that SUUUUUURE the jacked up MSRP of the 12gb and TI's are coming back to stated MSRP but in light of the original MSRP of the 3080 10GB its a bit ridiculous to say they are coming back to MSRP without placing it in the context that the 12gb and TI models were essentially a RADICAL price hike hidden behind a rather paltry increase in performance afforded by the extra Vram etc. Can someone PLEASE talk about this?
What’s to talk about? We all know the prices. If you don’t want to pay them, don’t. Nobody is entitled to a 3080Ti…

Ok, first off, I don't know why you keep mentioning it, this is not about entitlement of any kind. I never argued gamers should be privileged or sh!t like that, nor do I have something against miners, but I see you keep circling back to it. I only said mining drove prices up, whether it was people both mining and gaming or just miners. ETH increased price, more money, more mining, less cards, prices went steep over MSRP. And the answer on how much it influenced could be easily seen in the crypto craze of last year. Quantifying it would require total hashrates vs units sold on a period of time, monitoring pools for info on types of cards used. Needless to say, this requires a humongous study and the only people caring will be us, settling an argument. Or maybe you want me to give you receipts from Nvidia. However, ETH difficulty greatly increased last year, which suggests a ton of mining. And again, mining is not solely to blame, but it did influenced pricing.
Well... here's your quote...
regarding your reversing roles statement, I can tell you is flawed, because gamers are in minority in terms of sales.
I am simply calling you out on that... cause it's NOT TRUE!

I'm fine with you having your own OPINION... but if you're going to say stuff, make sure it's correct :)

Well... here's your quote...

I am simply calling you out on that... cause it's NOT TRUE!

I'm fine with you having your own OPINION... but if you're going to say stuff, make sure it's correct :)
In a lack of arguments, patronizing works great.

In a lack of arguments, patronizing works great.
I agree - you just seem to be arguing... but have no facts to back up your end of it... I like to bring evidence to my arguments - it makes the patronizing much more satisfying :)

I agree - you just seem to be arguing... but have no facts to back up your end of it... I like to bring evidence to my arguments - it makes the patronizing much more satisfying :)
I see you're a guy that made some money from mining crypto and you're deeply emotionally invested in this and everyone who even remotely says anything negative about its impact, is for you, wrong to begin with. Sorry, my bad for trying to reason.

Last edited:
Back