Graphics cards drop to their lowest price in 15 months, now 25% over MSRP

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: More good news for those looking to upgrade their graphics card: prices of Nvidia's and AMD's latest GPUs in Germany and Austria have dropped to their lowest prices in 15 months, hitting 25% above MSRP. The news arrives almost exactly one year after the RTX 3000 series was selling for 218% over the manufacturer suggested retail price.

Data for the German/Austrian market comes from the usual source of 3D Center, which has been collating the average selling prices of the RTX 3000 and Radeon RX 6000 series since the start of January 2021.

We've witnessed the average GPU selling price at retailers in the European counties fall this year, hitting a low of 35% (AMD) and 41% (Nvidia) over MSRP earlier this month. But the latest report marks the first time since 3D Center started publishing its findings that cards from both companies are at their lowest points, close to the sort of prices we saw at the end of 2020. And while these figures are only for Germany and Austria, they're often a reflection of current or upcoming global trends.

Also see: GPU Availability and Pricing Update: March 2022

Availability is also good. All of Nvidia's cards have five-star ratings apart from the RTX 3070 and RTX 3080 (10GB), which have four. AMD fares slightly worse in this area: only the Radeon RX 6600 and 6800 XT managed four stars instead of five, while the RTX 6800 has three stars.

Graphics card prices are finally moving in the right direction after what has felt like an eternity of being obscenely high. Our own research shows Newegg and eBay prices continue to fall, dropping to their lowest in a year. The—admittedly not very good—Radeon RX 6500 XT is 35% under MSRP in Germany, and some of Nvidia's and AMD's AIB partners are running promotions on their GPUs. Additionally, the US has excluded some Chinese imports from tariffs, potentially dropping motherboard and GPU prices.

Cards being 25% over MSRP isn't something we'd usually celebrate, but these aren't normal times. The chip crisis and other Covid-related issues, scalpers, and miners have come together in a perfect storm to drive GPU prices through the roof, but if things continue the way they are, we could see a return to MSRP in a couple of months. And maybe Nvidia will stop boasting about people spending $300 more when upgrading to an RTX card.

h/t: VideoCardz

Permalink to story.

It doesn't help that availability still hasn't met up with MSRP.

The simple question: "Can you walk into a store right now and buy a 3080, 3080Ti or 3090 at MSRP?".

The Answer is NO.

The MSRP of the 3090 FE was $1499?
But I paid $1799 for two FTW3 models back in December 2020 so even back then, before prices skyrocketed in Spring 2021 we were still mostly overpaying.

Here in the UK, I've been after a 3060Ti and currently the cheapest I can find one is £530.
MSRP is £369.

Isn't that 40~% higher or so.

Worth noting £530 is the lowest and never in stock. £570 - £630 seems to be the normal prices and has been for months, nothings changed (in the UK at least).

ETH is starting to rise with volume, which indicates buying pressure and we all know what that means. Though luck again!

Here in the UK, I've been after a 3060Ti and currently the cheapest I can find one is £530.
MSRP is £369.

Worth noting £530 is the lowest and never in stock. £570 - £630 seems to be the normal prices and has been for months, nothings changed (in the UK at least).

I haven't seen a 3060Ti come through Micro Center for a while and the 3060s seem to be slow to show up, too.

They've been getting tons of 3070Ti, 3080 12GB and 3080Ti cards in lately. These cards are still easily hitting $200 over MSRP (aside from the 3080 12GB since no MSRP was ever listed). The 3070Ti cards have been moving quick, the 3080s are trickling out (maybe because folks aren't looking to drop around $1300-1600 and would rather put the extra cash towards a 3090) and the few 3090s that come through don't appear to be sticking around long.

6700xts here went down to $599, now the cheapest is $649, and the median has risen back to $900.

Most nvidia 3060s are hitting close to $700.

I dont see these "25% over MSRP" cards anywhere.
The longer people are willing to pay outrageous prices the longer they will stay there. When people stop buying prices will fall ...... just simple economics ......
Unfortunatly as gaming has shown, gamers are some of the biggest consoomers out there and will continue to shovel out for GPUs.

Prices going down is a good thing, however seeing how long it‘s been since current gen launched, ideally we should already be below msrp.

I am still curious if we‘ll ever see some models at msrp (or reasonably close), EOL pricing after next gen‘s launch does not count.

In a normal world the prices should be WELL BELOW MSRP. I bit the bullet and paid $800 for my RX6800 in Feb 2021, more than 3X what I would usually spend. I'll NEVER pay that much money again for a video card. They can KMA and I'll game on this 6800 until AMD/NVidia come knocking on my door on their knees with their lips puckered and ready.

They are finally available and reservable online at my local Micro Center. No more scalpers waiting overnight to snag whatever stock trickles in the minute it opens.

It doesn't help that availability still hasn't met up with MSRP.

The simple question: "Can you walk into a store right now and buy a 3080, 3080Ti or 3090 at MSRP?".

The Answer is NO.

The MSRP of the 3090 FE was $1499?
But I paid $1799 for two FTW3 models back in December 2020 so even back then, before prices skyrocketed in Spring 2021 we were still mostly overpaying.

I'm glad I did all my gpu buying (for myself and f&f) during the first 3 to 5 weeks of launch.

I got my first 3080 on launch day but through all my friends cards I bought had my pick of whatever I wanted.

All of us have either a 3080 / 3090 and only paid MSRP or the AIB models slightly inflated MSRP over the founders (like $729 evga 3080 xc3).

Against all the "advice" was seeing online about holding our for the "December '20 release of 20gb 3080's... Etc" I knew better and made sure myself and all my friends were ready and prepped to spend immediately.

I ultimately MADE money selling my 2080ti for $1050 and my 3080 only costing me like $750... I managed to then flip that card over to a guy wanting to mine for a even swap his LHR 3080TI FTW3 Ultra for my FHR TUF 3080.

To me this gen has been good though I'm fully prepared to do it again later this year I've got my ears to the ground and just waiting for some somewhat hard release info and I'll do the whole process over again.

Sure maybe this time the "upgrade" may not be free but if I time things right I can make it a heck of lot less expensive than people think.

And really if you average out costs over the last 5 years I bet I can still manage to snag an generation upgrade and still come out slightly ahead or at least even.

This last upgrade wasn't my only gen on gen upgrade that put money in my pocket.

MSRP is £369.

Well I mean I grabbed a friend a 3070ti last week for $770 (and it's not a base model but a top tier ftw3 ultra).

I paid less than retail as in less than what evga themselves ask for it on their own site.

And compared to a founders edition / msrp I only paid about 28= over that (but rememeber this isn't a base model card so it SHOULD be at least SOME amount higher than MSRP)

Biggest problem I've ever had with all these cards is "msrp" is practically non existent even when there isn't a supply issue.

Unless you're getting a founders card majority ALWAYS gonna cost you more and the supply of "base" cards around msrp is usually next to nothing.

Look at how hard it was to get $999 2080ti as an example... Even at the end of that gen cards were in stock everywhere except for the 1 or 2 that carried a "normal" msrp (and they usually had some of the worst stock when it came to silicon and cheapest fans etc.)

I think if you're getting a card within 35% of the "msrp" /founders edition and especially if it's one that even if everything was normal would still have a premium then its probably worth looking at.

Cheapest 3060Ti here is 607 EUR but it's widely available and every model you can think of, including EVGA, is available to buy form many different retailers as we speak.

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/55/kartes-...tml?o=3060+ti&order_by=pricevat&order_dir=asc

MSRP was 419 EUR so that means that the cheapest card you can find is 48% more expensive than MSRP.
Yes but the card that's available..
What model is it? Is it some terrible base model in their sku that would have in "the old days" been the same as "msrp" or is it some higher end model with more power, better fans, higher clocks, etc?

People seem to keep forgetting even without a chip shortage we've ALWAYS had cards that sold well above "msrp" and in many ways "msrp" has never really been realistic.

Look again at the $999 2080ti that msrp wasn't even met by the founders edition ($1199)and many cards were made that cost even more than that guy.

30 series they did atleast get founders and MSRP to match up but even still 90% of cards were considered "premium" over the founders / reference design and came with atleast SOME premium.

If you're getting the bottom of the barrel card that was originally sold basically at msrp and having to pay for 40% more than yea I get it... Not worth it.

But if the card on offer would normally be 25% more expensive thanks to its much better oc potential bigger fans, coolers, attached aio, etc than in reality the markup isn't nearly as bad.

In no way was everyone SUPPOSED to get cards at MSRP.... That pricing was saved for very lucky founders edition buyers and the few who got one of the aib's scaled back low volume cards meant to be "around" the same cost.

The rest of us were always (either out of choice OR just necessity) going to end up with higher end models with higher costs built in.

So again while we are coming down and trying to judge where the market is at let's rememeber its not like every single card out there was destined to be a MSRP card and were just all getting screwed still.

Many cards are getting close or have reached their original tier of pricing for the type of card it was meant to be sold as.

The $600 for a 3070ti pricing sounds nice but a evga 3070ti ftw3 ultra was NEVER meant to be sold for that price and essentially was expected to be atleast $100 above that. Getting one for a friend this week at $770 doesn't feel bad at all and seeing how another friend got the same cars only a few months ago for over $1050 I'm sure he is still more than happy with his pricing.

$170 over msrp is around 28% but compared to the ACTUAL tier of the card and what it WOULD have originally gone for my friend is only out about $70 extra or about 10% more.

Where I live, I’ve seen RTX 3060 and 3060 Ti approaching their MSRP. The premium is probably between 30 to 70 USD from the launch day prices. But availability of these very close to MSRP cards are very limited. But it is still a good sign. I am unsure of the MSRP of the RTX 3080 12GB, but I saw it went below 1K USD, and closer to about mid 900s.

I think I'll just continue waiting. Hopefully in a few months they'll be approaching MSRP then, a few months after that as the 4000 series (and Intel GPUs) come out, they'll start to actually be affordable.

Back