Green Screen of Death (GSoD) discovered in leaked preview build of Windows 10

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft’s iconic Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) is the universal sign that things have taken a turn for the worse. In the near future, however, some Windows users that happen upon error screens will be seeing a new color – green.

In stark contrast to what we’re all familiar with, a leaked preview version of Windows 10 (build 14997) has been shown to feature a Green Screen of Death (GSoD). Matthijs Hoekstra, a senior program manager for the Windows Enterprise Developer Platform, confirmed the authenticity of the GSoD on Twitter.

Days earlier, Hoekstra said it was cool to read about all the new features that people were discovering in the leaked build but hinted that nobody had yet discovered a “big change.” A day later, he dropped the simple hint of “Green!”

Contrary to what you might initially be thinking, Microsoft isn’t doing away with the iconic BSoD entirely. Instead, the GSoD is being reserved for preview builds seeded to Windows Insiders as a simple but effective way for Microsoft engineers to differentiate between stop screens originating from preview builds versus public releases.

Other features discovered in the leaked build include a blue-light reduction mode to reduce eye strain before bed, Start Menu folders and a performance-enhancing Game Mode that some believe could boost the PC gaming experience by freeing up additional resources from apps running in the background while gaming.

Permalink to story.

Green color is not what I would associate with errors. Especially terminal errors.

I'm kind of curious to know whether we will see a "game mode" soon or not. I kind of hope so as that might actually be fairly helpful.

Given the bar code thingy on the jihad, whoops I mean Gee-SOD, do you have to scan your monitor with your iPhone to find out what went wrong? :eek::D:confused:

Green is also associated with being sickly, and seems appropriate to me.
Green is also the color associated with envy or jealousy. So when the green screen appears, it's intended as an emotional trigger, for you to be jealous of users running XP or Windows 7, because their computers are most likely still working.

Green is also associated with being sickly, and seems appropriate to me.
Green is also the color associated with envy or jealousy. So when the green screen appears, it's intended as an emotional trigger, for you to be jealous of users running XP or Windows 7, because their computers are most likely still working.
Yes... because no user of XP or W7 got a BSOD ever, which is exclusive to all other windows version -except the latest release of 10-.

Huh... you won't get BSOD in W10... cool story right?

I have been maintaining over 800 computers professionally since the days of XP. As a whole, Windows 10 version 1511 has performed better than those prior.There is plenty I am annoyed with, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a BSOD with 10. Don't take this to mean that I think Windows 10 is perfect and everyone should buy multiple copies because it will make murica great again. I'm just sharing that my experience has been improving as Windows progresses.

Yes... because no user of XP or W7 got a BSOD ever, which is exclusive to all other windows version -except the latest release of 10-.
I've actually seen very, very few on of all things, my 12 year old eMachines. Believe it or not, the system integrators at Gateway must have really known what they were doing. That's my gospel. You can, and likely will, take it FWIW.

Huh... you won't get BSOD in W10... cool story right?
No, IMHO, it's actually more condescension from the douchers at Redmond. "Our customers have been complaining about blue screens for going on two decades". "Let's show them we listen, and change the color to green".

Isn't anybody going to answer my question, "WTF is the bar code doing in the middle of the stop screen"? Do you really have to take a picture of it, then upload that to M$, to find out what went wrong. If Windows phone weren't so dead, I venture a guess that they put it there, so they could sell you a phone.

Isn't anybody going to answer my question, "WTF is the bar code doing in the middle of the stop screen"? Do you really have to take a picture of it, then upload that to M$, to find out what went wrong. If Windows phone weren't so dead, I venture a guess that they put it there, so they could sell you a phone.

it's to camouflage the laughing and pointing hyena avatar - you can see it if you turn your screen off and on Real Fast (only works on the CGA screens that Balmer envisioned as the wave of retro-future)..

Back