Group of state attorneys general launch investigation into TikTok and its effect on young...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? It’s not just Instagram that’s under scrutiny for its impact on young users. TikTok is being investigated by a nationwide group of state attorneys general over the potential harm it causes to younger people’s mental and physical health.

Attorneys general from eight states, including Massachusetts, California, Florida, and Kentucky, are investigating TikTok to find out if its design and the way it is promoted can have a negative effect on the wellbeing of children, teens, and young adults.

“As children and teens already grapple with issues of anxiety, social pressure and depression, we cannot allow social media to further harm their physical health and mental well-being,” Maura Healey, the attorney general of Massachusetts, said in a statement. “State attorneys general have an imperative to protect young people and seek more information about how companies like TikTok are influencing their daily lives.”

Healy added that the investigation will focus on “the methods and techniques” TikTok uses to “boost young user engagement, including increasing the duration of time spent on the platform.”

Connecticut Attorney General William Tong cited “reckless viral challenges” on TikTok as a huge concern. Some of the more dangerous trends originating from the site include stacking milk crates into stairs and climbing them, cracking people’s backs, dry scooping pre-workout powders (it lead to a 22-year old suffering a heart attack), and “scalp popping,” which involves pulling sharply on a lock of hair to create a “pop” sound.

“Our investigation will look at what TikTok knew about the risks to our children, and precisely what they have been doing to keep our kids online,” Tong said.

The investigation comes after a whistleblower last year revealed Facebook knew exactly how damaging Instagram is to teenage girls’ mental health but ignored its own internal research. Facebook denied this was the case, but it still put the brakes on the Instagram for Kids project.

The issue even made it into the state of the Union address, with President Biden urging more regulatory protections for young people online. “We must hold social media accountable for the national experiment they’re conducting on our children for profit,” he said.

In other TikTok news, many users are less than pleased about it increasing the maximum length of uploaded videos to ten minutes, claiming the platform is losing its defining feature and becoming more like YouTube.

Permalink to story.

We know it does....Because it's the same accusation thoroughly documented on Instagram...By Facebook employees.

Targeting tiktok when absolutely nothing has been done about Instagram (Or Facebook or Twitter or Youtube) is basically just not saying the quiet part out loud: more subtle than the Trump rhetoric but still the same: "China is trying to take over!" nonsense.

It's western corporations that took over our lives and do not want the thing they preach about which is competition so they resort to good old xenophobia and bigotry.

We know it does....Because it's the same accusation thoroughly documented on Instagram...By Facebook employees.

Targeting tiktok when absolutely nothing has been done about Instagram (Or Facebook or Twitter or Youtube) is basically just not saying the quiet part out loud: more subtle than the Trump rhetoric but still the same: "China is trying to take over!" nonsense.

It's western corporations that took over our lives and do not want the thing they preach about which is competition so they resort to good old xenophobia and bigotry.

I applaud your comment.

When will we ever learn how much increased depression, bullying and suicides resulted from Facebook and Instagram? Probably never.

This is a war over who has access to our data.

Facebook - partly thanks to my beloved Apple - has lost a tremendous amount of power in my devices and continues to lose more as social media users flock to alternatives.

Google/Youtube is less monitored and policed.

Tik Tok, snapchat... all of them are competition for Facebook and Facebook DOESN'T like it one bit.

TikTok just exposes the West's lack of parental oversight and poor upbringing.
To be fair there are western countries that do a good job of helping families with child upbringing...the United States is not one of them. Not the worst out there but compared to other Western Countries we in the US can put away our "we are number 1" foam fingers.

World’s Best Countries For Raising Kids, 2021

Rank-Country-Score

1 Sweden 99.81
2 Denmark 98.38
3 Norway 95.95
4 Netherlands 95.56
5 Canada 95.3
6 Finland 95.19
7 Switzerland 94.98
8 Iceland 94.73
9 Australia 94.71
10 United Kingdom 94.54
11 New Zealand 94.42
12 Austria 94.21
13 Japan 93.9
14 Germany 93.57
15 United States 93.56
16 Luxembourg 93.52
17 Belgium 93.18
18 United Arab Emirates 92.96
19 Czech Republic 92.86
20 Portugal 92.37

TikTok just exposes the West's lack of parental oversight and poor upbringing.

#1 purchasing a smartphone for a kid exposes the West's lack of parental oversight and poor upbringing.

#2 putting a cable TV box in a kid's room exposes the West's lack of parental oversight and poor upbringing.

What these people want is a digital nanny.

#1 purchasing a smartphone for a kid exposes the West's lack of parental oversight and poor upbringing.
lol, every generation states this crap about the next upcoming generation be it radios, boomboxes, TV,s, Nintendo, computers, etc., etc., Generation Z will be stating how Generation Alpha grew up with A.I and how back in our day we had to get on our phones and use an app to do things.

#2 putting a cable TV box in a kid's room exposes the West's lack of parental oversight and poor upbringing.

What these people want is a digital nanny.

Cable TV box in a kids room?? Yeah, it's not 2005 anymore. You seem out of touch with reality.

lol, every generation states this crap about the next upcoming generation be it radios, boomboxes, TV,s, Nintendo, computers, etc., etc., Generation Z will be stating how Generation Alpha grew up with A.I and how back in our day we had to get on our phones and use an app to do things.

Cable TV box in a kids room?? Yeah, it's not 2005 anymore. You seem out of touch with reality.

What you do with your money is your choice. My kids won't have a smartphone till they have a job. My kids won't have a cable box in their room - they can use the living room.

What you do with your money is your choice. My kids won't have a smartphone till they have a job.
Same to you and your money, my kids (still a bit too young) will have a smartphone so we can get in touch with them or vice versa. I'll make sure it has parental locks on the phone and I'm sure they will attempt to get around those locks.
My kids won't have a cable box in their room - they can use the living room.

We haven't had a cable box since 2013 or 2014. The kids don't want a cable box or TV in their rooms either, they much prefer their Amazon kid tablets (we collect them at bedtime).

First it was books, then the radio, tv, rap and metal music, the internet... There's no keeping the children safe.

Back